Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Not a noob, but struggling with acronyms/abbreviations

OK...maybe not all acronyms, but at least one I haven't been able to figure out, and thought maybe simmers new to our world could benefit from a listing of all the acronyms we throw around around here that are easy for us, but for them, not so much.

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else and I missed it.

Maybe make it a sticky and we can all refer folks to it and add info to it as time goes on?

1. SODE - ??  No clue
  2. ASN - Active Sky Next - Weather Simulator - Insert website here if applicable
  3. SGSS - Sparse Grid Super Sampling - Video card setting - etc....
  4. GSX - Ground Support Xtreme - you get the idea....
  5. LM - Seriously, but who knows, some folks can't make the connection, better not to assume everyone knows what an abbreviation is.
  6. DT or DTG - Dove Tail Games - software company - website, yadda yadda....
  7. MOSFET - Metal Oxide Semiconductor, Field Effect Transistor (wait....wrong genera, from 1st career, hehe)
  8. CABG (pronounced 'cabbage') - Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (shoot....another misplaced acronym from my 3rd career, LOL) 

What do you guys think?  Do we need this? (Well I know I do at lease for SODE)  :Whistle:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hi Steve,

I couldn't agree more! It is not helpful to those who are early on in their flight sim careers to be bandying around acronyms without any explanation. I suggest placing the acronym in brackets after the initial mention of whatever, then use the acronym thereafter in the post.

For example: SimObject Display Engine (SODE)

http://sode.12bpilot.ch/?page_id=2

Regards,

Mike

Hi Steve,

I couldn't agree more! It is not helpful to those who are early on in their flight sim careers to be bandying around acronyms without any explanation. I suggest placing the acronym in brackets after the initial mention of whatever, then use the acronym thereafter in the post.

For example: SimObject Display Engine (SODE)

http://sode.12bpilot.ch/?page_id=2

Regards,

Mike

Hey Mike, That would be the proper way to do it in a perfect world and if we'd all comply as posters that would be awesome.  However in our real world I wouldn't expect the poster to be burdened with that formal method (the way we do it in training manuals all the time by the way).

If I just need a quick answer to if ASN was updated to 3.2 (which in itself could also be classified as an abbvr or acronym), I would never realistically type, "Pardon me, does anyone know if Active Sky Next (ASN) has been updated for use in Lockheed Martin (LM) Prepard3d (P3D) version 3.2?  :smile:

I'd put the burden on the reader, if they are not familiar with the brevity terms we use here, to be able to ask without ridicule ("Hey, what is ASN?"), and for us to be able to point him/her to a link containing the alphabet soup stuff we throw around here with ease. Hehe.

Maybe even a master post, linked to all forums with a running list of standard and user-supplied terms?   I just looked in the Welcome New Members forum, the logical place for this me thinks...could not find one.  Whaddya think Mods?  Maybe even title it  something like "Alphabet Soup...a guide to FlightSim (FS) acronyms and abbreviations"?  :Raised Eyebrow:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hey Steve +1, at My age i find that I forget more Acronyms than I can remember ??? - imho lol - Pun Intended ! - Johnman B)

TLAs should always be spelt on their first use. What's a TLA? :blink:  Sorry, Three Letter Acronym. Why do they nearly always have three words?

I always spelt out acronyms when I worked. Otherwise you spend more time explaining them than the time it took to type them once.

My other pet hate (showing my age!) are things like m8 for mate. How lazy is that? We should always remember that for many people here English is not their first language. Crawls back into hole. :Big Grin:

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

ROFL (pun intended).  I'm at that age as well that has me forgetting more things I can remember.  I still marvel at the fact back in the day...I could draw you a circuit with a MOSFET, a few resistors and capacitors and tell you exactly how the current flowed within it, with the voltage drops at across each resistor (both in and out)...sigh...now I'm happy with the fact that I even remember what a MOSFET is. LOL (another pun intended).   Same goes with back in the day when I was a Lotus employee and could write formulas and macros that could run a business, all in one spreadsheet.

TLAs should always be spelt on their first use. What's a TLA? :blink:  Sorry, Three Letter Acronym. Why do they nearly always have three words?

I always spelt out acronyms when I worked. Otherwise you spend more time explaining them than the time it took to type them once.

My other pet hate (showing my age!) are things like m8 for mate. How lazy is that? We should always remember that for many people here English is not their first language. Crawls back into hole. :Big Grin:

I'm with ya Ray!

TLA's....yeah they tend to be 3 words for some reason (dunno why).  The real trouble is when you have TLA's that are the same TLA's across a few professions you're involved in...for example:

AMA.....back when I flew RC planes, that of course was the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

In my later years involved in Heath Care....AMA actually means two things:

American Medical Association and Against Medical Advice (used in the ED (Emergency Dept (Department))....errrr...what used to be commonly called the "ER"...an no...not THAT ED...ROFL...where a patient would bolt out of the ED without the clinician's permission, or against their advice).

And trust me....SOB means something completely different in street slang vs medical term. 

As I figure most of know the street slang meaning...in the medical profession, its means "Shortness Of Breath"

You can imagine the shock I felt when I 1st entered the medical profession and heard RNs, NPs, CRNAs, APNs, LPNs, LVNs all spouting out SOB like they were really mad at the patient.  :LMAO:

Oh....

RN - Registered Nurse

NP - Nurse-Practitioner

CRNA - Certified Registered Nurse of Anesthesia

APN - Advanced Practice Nurse

LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse

LVN - Licensed Vocational Nurse

Yeah...TLA's ALL over the place! :lol:  

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Google works pretty well!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm all for a General Lexicon of Abbreviations/ Acronyms, as long as the person asking (the Questioner) doesn't end up getting their b%#*s busted by whomever answers the question. No 'RTFM', or 'Google it'...  just answer the Question as if you yourself were asking.

Sometimes those same smart Comments end up chasing the Questioner away from the Site, and that doesn't do anyone any good.

Alan  :smile:

• Upvote 1

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Indeed it does but it remains the poster's responsibility to make himself (or herself) clear in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OMG!

ROFLMAO!

TTFN,

Vic  <--not a TLA   :)

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

True dat Dave.....but unfortunately some TLA's or A's in general are used in multiple areas of interest for a general Google search to be useful.

For example, do a Google search on "GSX" and you'll get endless posts about Suzuki's GSX model, not necessarily the GSX you're looking for.  

IF you happen to get the correct GSX at the top of your search, its most likely you've Google'd it before, and/or bought the product and the ad-bots just picked your virtual brain, hehe.

For the guy who's never heard of GSX in FSX, he'd probably never make the connection or the ad-bot won't have any history or his buying habits profile has not been sold to the advertisers that would give him a more relevant hit for flight sim. :wink:

Hey Vic,

Hilarious! (Not a TLA or A at all)

However.....looks at your computer/flightsim specs in your sig.....

P3D#1 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 2-GTX970 SLI 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W764 Home
2 - HANNSG 28" Monitors 2560x1400 - ASN, GEP3D, UTX, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
P3D#2 - 980x 4.43G P6X58D 1612 6-8-6 GTX680 DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors
ASN,FTX Global, UTX, FTX Vector, ORBX regions, Trackir
Q400, CS727, CSL1011, various A2A, Aerosoft and Carenado a/c;

I asked a friend (not a simmer or a computer guy) to explain all the things you refer to....he got "I know what a monitor is...that's about it."  And education is not a barrier as he's a top neurosurgeon at my healthcare system, so he's been to college. :smile:   Oh....he DID know what a CABG is.... ROFL! 

The truth is we live in a world where communication speed is so important that we use TLAs, A's and other "brevity codes" (A term used in military aviation...http://fas.org/man/dod-101/usaf/docs/mcm3-1-a1.htm) to push as much information across as we can in the shortest amount of time.  Its the nature of our species.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

True dat Dave

I understand what you're saying.  What I do is include FSX (or P3D, etc.) in the search, which narrows things down considerably.

Having created a plethora of guides and other documents for the flight sim community and tracked the number of downloads, I can report that one runs into the same problem that we often do when it comes to other questions in flight sim.. for whatever the individual reason, people turn to posting rather post than searching or reading a guide or manual.

Best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Exactly. It's a shame that some people are too lazy to use it. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

And here we go again. This really spoils it for the 'Gentlemen." (Gentlemen).

Sorry, but I don't agree with "Just Google it" Or 'use the search button."  My take on this is, if you are not 'capable' of helping someone, whether it be due to laziness, arrogance, , or simply because you don't know the answer, it's far better to remain silent.  

• Upvote 2

And here we go again. This really spoils it for the 'Gentlemen." (Gentlemen).

Sorry, but I don't agree with "Just Google it" Or 'use the search button."  My take on this is, if you are not 'capable' of helping someone, whether it be due to laziness, arrogance, , or simply because you don't know the answer, it's far better to remain silent.

Joe, in a way I tend to agree with you but consider the old saying -

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for the day but teach him to fish and he'll never be hungry.

That REALLY applies in computer forums BUT sometimes it IS easier to ask here and get direct responses.

Also, in fairness, sometimes the google results can be confusing to the newbie - they start chasing down the path of promoted ads etc.

Personally, I would be ok with someone supplying the answer AND a quick reference on how to find it in the future.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors