Sign in to follow this  
Frieg

Forest Textures Dissected (By Other Scenery Polygons?)

Hello,

i've finally made the step to prepar3d but i'm experiencing a strange scenery/landclass problem which is really nagging me and i have never experienced anything like that in fsx before.

First a screenshot to visualize the problem:
http://postimg.org/image/anbo5px9l/

What you can see here is the "Harz" in Germany, a very large an continuous! forest area. in fsx the whole ares is just fores texture with a few cutouts, but in prepar3d we see that strange pattern of missing fores texture that seems to follow the elevation of the terrain. mist of the times you can find roads following those gaps an maybe they are the reason because (maybe) p3d removes the forest texture for a specific with left and right of the polygon representing a road or river and so on. But thats just a guess.

i hope anybody of you can identify the problem here by looking at the screenshot. important to know: i have this problem with vanilla p3d! in this screenshot it looks extra worse with UTX Europe because the minor rural roads in the forest are in those gaps. but strange thing is, if i disable those roads the gaps remain.

P3D 3.2 reinstalled multiple times
I7 960
24 GB Ram
GTX 680 4GB

Greets and thanks in advance for any suggestions or help!

Huh, 0 views? Is this thread invisible to others in some kind?

First off, have you checked to see if these add-ons need an update, due to the release of v3.2?

I took a look at your screenshot, but it's too small to make out the features you point out in your initial post, so it's hard to determine where the issue is with the roads.  Keep in mind that with the default textures in P3D, they may not be 100% accurate.  After thinking about this further, there may be a conflict between the two sets of textures.  Have you tried uninstalling your add-on scenery and reinstalling to see if it helps?  Judging the fact that you reinstalled P3D multiple times, the issue isn't P3D.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I don't have P3D, so I can't really specifically help with that, but I do know the Harz region, as I live close by.

The lake in your screenshot looks like the Söse Reservoir near Osterode. I agree with you that the land use is not correctly depicted here. Which landclass are you using? UTX Europe I believe does not bring full landclass, but only vector data plus a few other items.

I could have a look at OpenLC Europe from OrbX in FSX to see what the coverage is. I also have FTX Global running there as well in FSX...

A

Frieg,

It looks to me like the majority of the landclass in that area is actually the small fields (crops), and that many of the bands of forest occur due to the slope of the land.  If the slope of the land is too great, P3D (and FSX) will replace the landclass texture with forest (or rock, or other textures) on the sloped portion of the terrain.  This replacement is highly visible in mountainous areas, where many of the slopes are replaced with a rocky texture.  If my memory serves me correctly, this is based on values obtained from the lclookup.bgl for each landclass type.

I believe that the solution to your problem is to either use a different landclass product, or modify the landclass (change from crops to forest) in the affected areas, which would be a HUGE task.

Cheers,

Gerald

First off, have you checked to see if these add-ons need an update, due to the release of v3.2?

Only one add-on installed, UTX Europe 2.1 that is, no newer versions available at scenerey solutions

I took a look at your screenshot, but it's too small to make out the features you point out in your initial post, so it's hard to determine where the issue is with the roads.

Yer ask and yer shall receive, here is more zoomed-in screenshot. i have markes some spots that may show why i think the minor rural roads are the problem here:

http://postimg.org/image/d07ndzsjn/

Have you tried uninstalling your add-on scenery and reinstalling to see if it helps?

Did that!

Vanilla FSX and vanilla p3d look exactly the same btw.

Installed FSX and UTX 1.4 for comparison, thats how it should look like in p3d!:

http://postimg.org/image/tytjlh3kt/

So i guess the conclusion is right that an imcompatibility between utx an p3d is the problem here. but im a bit surprised that i can't find any reference to this problem in the whole internet because i thought there were many p3d+utx users now.

so i think there is a problem, of what kind i have to figure out, exclusively on my end :/

Oh, just installed utx 2.1 into fsx and in fsx i have the same problem! So this really isn't a p3d related problem and there is something major with utx 2.1 off!