Sign in to follow this  
American398

spikes in new zealand

Hi guys, really enjoy freemeshx, i found some spikes and strange spots in new zealand. i do have patch 16 installed.

Hi American398,

So these don't look like normal spikes that would occur from artifacts in the mesh. Instead it looks like bad vector data for the elevations of those ponds or lakes. Do you have any vector data installed?

I'll have to look and double check though.

if your refering to ORBX global vector then no I do not have that installed. I do have ORBX global BASE installed though. I have all the Freemeshx regions above ORBX.

if your refering to ORBX global vector then no I do not have that installed. I do have ORBX global BASE installed though. I have all the Freemeshx regions above ORBX.

So one of things about the terrain system in FSX and P3D is that the fundamental systems comprising the terrain need to work together.

When we change the topography to an updated SRTM based terrain mesh, some of the stock vectors for the waterbodies don't align well with the altered terrain.

Products like FTX Vectors updates or replaces the stock vectors with information that is based off SRTM elevation data. That means some lakes, ponds, and rivers also get updated and adjusted so that they work very well with SRTM based meshes.

For instance, in the pic below, I am in the same location but you see different lakes down there, and they align with the mesh. The vector information of those lakes are provided by FTX Vectors, and since FreeMeshX is based off the same SRTM elevation data, they work well together.

CmK5LY4.png

So that's one reason why we recommend FTX Vectors. It adjusts so many things to their true real world values.