Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Lazing around the Leeward Islands

This week's plan is a slow lazy cruise around the Leeward Islands in the Caribbean. 

We'll start at Codrington on Barbuda, heading for VC Bird, the large international airport on Antigua.  Then a visit to the new airport on volcanic Montserrat, and on to Nevis, St Kitts and St Eustatius.  Easy so far? Now the fun starts, with the smallest commercial runway in the world on Saba at 1300ft.  Doesn't sound too bad? You might want to check out the cliffs off both ends of the runway.  Oh, and along the east side of it too.  Don't worry about the mountainside on the approach, it's the least of your problems. 

Anyone with an aircraft intact can then continue to Challenge #2: St Barthelemy, with the famous approach down the hillside.  Survivors, if any, fly to St Maarten with its positively luxurious 7000ft runway.  Cocktails and tall stories in the first bar we find outside the airport gates.

Flight plans

FSX

Plan-G

Aircraft

Anything you think you can get down on Saba!  It's only a 183nm route so we're in no hurry.  Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee ideal, Britten-Norman Islander excellent choice also.  Even an Antonov An-2 (I dare someone!).

Scenery (freeware)

A gentleman by the name of Jean-Louis Valladier has done excellent and much-needed work upgrading large parts of the Caribbean for FSX.  He also put together a LOD10 mesh package to work with his sceneries.  Links (all in AVSIM library):

Mesh

Barbuda

Antigua

Montserrat

St Kitts & Nevis

St Eustatius

Saba

While you're at it, get his Grand Case and Anguilla, if we finish early we can pop round to these as well.

St Barthelemy has been modeled nicely by Marc-Henri Guitteny.  There is a little work involved to install the package correctly but it's worth a look.

Scenery (payware)

The Flytampa St Maarten Complete package is outstanding payware and includes Saba and St Barts.

Date and time: Saturday 12th March 2016, 1900 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

If you want to help others enjoy the multiplayer experience, don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer spreadsheet! (linked here)

Anything you think you can get down on Saba!  It's only a 183nm route so we're in no hurry.  Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee ideal, Britten-Norman Islander excellent choice also.  Even an Antonov An-2 (I dare someone!).

Rotary wing aircraft allowed? LOL  Perhaps a Medivac?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

In another life I had all these. Thanks for digging them out again Nick.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I don't see Antigua in the flight plan. I assume this is on purpose? On top of that, I don't think FSX knows where this airport is.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Even an Antonov An-2 (I dare someone!).

The only problem with the An-2 that I can think of it so figure out what to do with the remaining 6990 ft of runway. :wink:

Anyway, it's been too long since I last flew it so I'm up for it. Ron?

http://www.avsim.com/topic/426801-back-country-prop-clubs-impromptu-friday-evening-faffing-about/?view=findpost&p=2857489

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I don't see Antigua in the flight plan. I assume this is on purpose? On top of that, I don't think FSX knows where this airport is.

VC Bird International (TAPA) is the stop on Antigua.

Rotary wing aircraft allowed? LOL 

Allowed, yes.  But definitely cheating! :P

VC Bird International (TAPA) is the stop on Antigua.

Allowed, yes.  But definitely cheating! :P

Ah, yes, of course.  I thought it was the airport name...   :fool:

Stew

Allowed, yes.  But definitely cheating!

Cheating? To haul out the injured?

ohh! will missI will be immersed in American College Basketball playoffs. Big games starting at 1700z. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Nick,  Would you kindly take a look at TNCE, F. D. Roosevelt, please?  There's water all over the place where it shouldn't be and I can't seem to remedy it.  The runway is ok, but water is spreading up the hill alongside rwy 24 and elsewhere.  I'm running with Global, but running North America didn't make any difference.  And Vector AEC was no help either.

Stew

Nick, Would you kindly take a look at TNCE, F. D. Roosevelt, please? There's water all over the place where it shouldn't be and I can't seem to remedy it.

I've tried several combinations of 'Offing' various bgls but the best I can come up with is disabling sainteustatius. Considering we won't be there for more than a few minutes, it looks pretty good as a default. 

Ching! 2c

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I've tried several combinations of 'Offing' various bgls but the best I can come up with is disabling sainteustatius. Considering we won't be there for more than a few minutes, it looks pretty good as a default. 

Ching! 2c

That works for me, Ron, unless somebody comes up with a better idea.

Stew

Yikes!  Is there any hope at all of landing at SABA without a thrust reverser?  :Nail Biting:

Same goes for St. Barth's.   My, my, my....

Great videos, Nick.

Stew

Planning on joining up with you fine fellows if possible . I was going to get Tim "Piglet" Conrads superb Pilatus Porter out of the Hangar but decided to show a bit of Beaver instead , Amphibian of course  (as back up in case SABA and Barts go a bit petong ;) hehe   )

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png