Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Helton

Greasing it on with the 800

In the real airplane I flare at the 20' callout.  Flare just enough to reduce the sink rate, it doesn't take much.  You only want to reduce the sink rate, not stop it completely or worse start climbing.  At the 10' call the throttles go to idle if they aren't already there.

That's the basic framework.  Each landing is a little different.  If the sink rate going into the flare is higher for whatever reason I'll start the flare just before the 20' callout.

My biggest obstacle to flying a 'Bus is my irrational bias against wanting to be called a bus driver. Do you drive them or do you pilot them??

Back on topic... agree that greased landings are a myth among non-aviators.  There's nothing better than a good solid set-down on a windy day.. last thing in the world I want is a drift sideways trying to do a pretty landing. Dispense with the prettiness, plant it where is belongs and move on. The best landings I've ever seen were on a PBS series titled "Carrier," where on one segment there was about 20 min of nothing but night pitching-deck carrier landings.... fifteen bolts in a row. The first guy that stuck it was cheered by the entire crew. That was a beautiful landing.

When I was a check airman the main criteria for grading landings was:

Was it in the touchdown zone?

Was it on the center line?

Was it on speed?

Was the sink rate less than that required to break the airplane?

Satisfy those four and it's an acceptable landing.  Anything beyond that is a perk. To this day it still bugs me to no end when you fly a beautiful approach and landing on a bumpy day with a strong crosswind and you get the snide "nice landing" comments from the passengers who don't know better.

Wood eye! Wood eye! :smile:

I actually get that Chuck. :)

The best landings I've ever seen were on a PBS series titled "Carrier," where on one segment there was about 20 min of nothing but night pitching-deck carrier landings.... fifteen bolts in a row.

Yeah Dan...there is absolutely no flaring in carrier aviation.    And its actually called a "bolter".  Just wanted to point that out before some Hot Shot Naval Aviator responded with bias and full inter-service rivalry in an attempt to demean your Branch.    :smile:

Satisfy those four and it's an acceptable landing.  Anything beyond that is a perk. To this day it still bugs me to no end when you fly a beautiful approach and landing on a bumpy day with a strong crosswind and you get the snide "nice landing" comments from the passengers who don't know better.

Hey Joe, most passengers don't get it.  The last time I gave a genuine "Nice landing Cap'n" was when I was near the back row, and because of the crab angle, was able to just see the runway out my window!  He kicked it out at the last second with a very firm plant and we squiggled (technical term) sideways as the wind wind was still trying to blow us off the runway.

I asked him if he was at the very limit of the crosswind component...he smiled and said "That's what I'm puttin' in my logbook" :smile:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Transport category airplanes by FAR Part 25 are certified as follows -

1. A sink rate of 10 feet per second at the maximum design landing weight

2. A sink rate of 6 feet per second at the maximum design takeoff weight

A sink rate of 2 to 3 feet per second is most acceptable.

Don't forget about ground effect and it's effect on a landing.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam