Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

What App Opens Air files,e.g. B737.air?

I seem to have inadvertent associated an incorrect App in Windows 10 with a *.air file, e,g B737.air.

What is the correct file association to edit an *.air file?

Hey Rick,

the .air file has no association....in order to get it back to that state, search the net for "removing file association in Windows XXX" replacing the Xs with your version of windows.

Not sure if there is an utility for it or an easy way to do it in the front end, but I tried the registry entry methods I saw out there and they seem to work.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I believe that file is for the default B737 aircraft.

Are you unable to fly the default aircraft?  If not, what problem are you having that denotes the air file as being corrupt?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

# Steve & #Dave

That B737 was just a random example when I looked in my PMDG 737 folder as every *.air file has been associated with Windows Notepad. I need to disassociate it with Notepad.

I'll try your suggestion, Steve. Where did you see the Registry entry methods?

Thanks guys.

I found the easiest way to do it (and stay out of regedit) is to do this method I found on Tom's Hardware:

Try this as a work-around:
1. Create a file with notepad somewhere in your personal folders. Call it dummy.txt. Leave it blank.
2. Change the extension to *.exe. Now the file is dummy.exe (Actually you don't even have to do this, I think.)
3. Now right-click on the file that has the unwanted association. Go to 'Properties'. Click the "change" button on the GUI
where it says 'opens with:' Use 'Browse' and find the file 'dummy.exe' that you just created and choose it.
4. Close the GUI. Now go and delete the file 'dummy.exe'. The file should have 'Unknown Application' associated to it.

link to page: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2086497/delete-file-type-association.html

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve

Not only are you a very, very talented painter, but you are a tremendous asset here. Even though I am more than familiar hacking the Registry through RegEdit, I will follow your tips.

Thanks, a mill.

Regards.

PS.No issues using FSX-SE as I'm currently in-flight with the Majestic Dash8 Q400

Steve

Not only are you a very, very talented painter, but you are a tremendous asset here. Even though I am more than familiar hacking the Registry through RegEdit, I will follow your tips.

Thanks, a mill.

Regards.

PS.No issues using FSX-SE as I'm currently in-flight with the Majestic Dash8 Q400

Awww (blush).  I've been troubleshooting through 3 separate careers (one of them IT) for over 30 years, I should be good at it by now, hehe.  Although I originally suggested regedit, I try to steer people away from that route whenever I can. (In fact we weren't allowed to walk customers thru regedit when I worked at Lotus.)

I'm going to break out the brushes again when PMDG releases the 747, I've already committed to move my 777 freighter paints over to the her big sister...its gonna be hard to balance the time between flying and painting though, as she should be a wonderful bird to fly.  :smile:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve

Lotus? Aaagh, what nostalgia their 1-2-3 brings back. There has never been a replacement since, not even the iterations that Redmond push out with their MSO.Great piece of officeware.

Looking forward to some of your Freighter v2s when it comes out.

Managed that 'fix' but now I have no idea what opens those *.air files(and the 'Googlie's were sending me to AIR=Adobe!!!!)

There's a program called "aired" for editing MSFS .air files.  It's in the library.

Ok... Adobe uses the .air extension for one of their products. Best not to mess with the association.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It was not my intention to modify any of the MSFS .air files. I just wanted to look at the failures settings for the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 as their random failures are built in as a default, and inexplicably, in Windows 10 as opposed to XP< or Windows7, there isn't a large drop-down menu choice, just what Windows 10 wants to push you to, hence selected Notepad.

Thanks for the link, vololiberista, but as it is only for FS2004, will it work for FSX-SE?

I found the easiest way to do it (and stay out of regedit) is to do this method I found on Tom's Hardware:

Try this as a work-around:
1. Create a file with notepad somewhere in your personal folders. Call it dummy.txt. Leave it blank.
2. Change the extension to *.exe. Now the file is dummy.exe (Actually you don't even have to do this, I think.)
3. Now right-click on the file that has the unwanted association. Go to 'Properties'. Click the "change" button on the GUI
where it says 'opens with:' Use 'Browse' and find the file 'dummy.exe' that you just created and choose it.
4. Close the GUI. Now go and delete the file 'dummy.exe'. The file should have 'Unknown Application' associated to it.

link to page: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2086497/delete-file-type-association.html

Tried this trick, and I thought it had removed the Notepad link, but lo and behold, I discovered, once more Notepad is the default. Damn Windows 10!

You can remove the .air extension in the windows explorer options but I doubt it makes much difference, it's not like there is a conflict if an .air file is associated with notepad.

You can remove the .air extension in the windows explorer options but I doubt it makes much difference, it's not like there is a conflict if an .air file is associated with notepad.

But Notepad shows the .air entries as gobbledygook.

Aircraft Airfile Manager (AAM) can also edit MSFS .air files. So since you've messed up your association anyway, get a proper tool to open the file. And while you're at it open an airfile  with AAM and marvel at all the tables and graphs contained in it. :Big Grin:

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days