Sign in to follow this  
MontyPreston

Question about updating P3D 3.1 to 3.2 with patches only

Hello,

When choosing the Prepar3d patch update only route (non-full reinstall), we are given the option to update the client only or, in addition, update the scenery and content components as well with separate individual patches.     The official P3D installation guide only specifies to firstly uninstall the 3.1 client before installing the new 3.2 client, however there are no instructions to uninstall the scenery and content components in P3D 3.1 before installing the newer 3.2 scenery and content components.     

Does anyone know the correct procedure I should follow in order to fully update all components to 3.2?       In other worlds, does only the 3.1 client need to be uninstalled beforehand or should I uninstall all three 3.1 components (client, scenery, and content) beforehand?      I really wish Lockheed Martin were a little more specific about this on their P3D website.

Thank you,

Monty Preston   

I really wish Lockheed Martin were a little more specific about this on their P3D website

From the download instructions:

•Prepar3D v3 Download/Installation Instructions (578 KB)

◦Note: After downloading the Full Download or downloading each of the Individual Components, use the Setup.exe to install Prepar3D. Setup.exe contains all necessary prerequisites and will completely install Prepar3D.

Simple - if you want ALL - use setup.exe OR use the installxxxxxx.exe for a specific one.

They have recommended from day one to uninstall before reinstall - which also frees up your registration

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hello,

When choosing the Prepar3d patch update only route (non-full reinstall), we are given the option to update the client only or, in addition, update the scenery and content components as well with separate individual patches.     The official P3D installation guide only specifies to firstly uninstall the 3.1 client before installing the new 3.2 client, however there are no instructions to uninstall the scenery and content components in P3D 3.1 before installing the newer 3.2 scenery and content components.     

Does anyone know the correct procedure I should follow in order to fully update all components to 3.2?       In other worlds, does only the 3.1 client need to be uninstalled beforehand or should I uninstall all three 3.1 components (client, scenery, and content) beforehand?      I really wish Lockheed Martin were a little more specific about this on their P3D website.

Thank you,

Monty Preston   

There's no update to the other components, rather than the client, so you need to uninstall (and install) only the client.

Some people are uninstalling the scenery and the contents are doing it because... well you know.. they feel better doing this or they won't sleep the night worried that a file may have been left behind. :)

There's no update to the other components, rather than the client, so you need to uninstall (and install) only the client.

That is not accurate. Note that there are three separate "Install_XXX.msi" files.

1. Uninstall Client
  2. Run Install_Client.msi

Repeat the process for the other two "Install_Content.msi" and "Install_Scenery.msi" scripts only if desired.

"Install_Content.msi" requires the cont1.cab file

"Install_Scenery.msi" requires the 6 scenen.cab files

nC0VP.png

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That is not accurate. Note that there are three separate "Install_XXX.msi" files.

What I wrote IS accurate, the installers you are mentioning are part of the full install, while the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 is performed by uninstalling and installing only the client.

Excuse me but it's because of the messages like yours that people are confused as hell, and they are asking the same question zillions of times, when the operation is so easy: if you are running p3d v3.1 and you want to upgrade to v3.2 - Uninstall the client only and install the client only (Install_Client.msi), forget the other installers, unless you have others specific issues, or if you want to play the old man who circle around his car 10 times after have parked it, before going back to sleep.

• Upvote 1

Uninstall Client

Run Install_Client.msi

Repeat the process for the other two "Install_Content.msi" and "Install_Scenery.msi" scripts only if desired.

"Install_Content.msi" requires the cont1.cab file

"Install_Scenery.msi" requires the 6 scenen.cab files

Aha, Fr. Bill you have explained it perfectly.     What was confusing me were the .cab files for the scenery update component (I only downloaded the .msi updater and not all the necessary .cabs for the scenery).      In short, uninstall each component you wish to update before installing the new version.    Pretty simple as everything follows the same procedure for the client only update process.    Thank you sir!

I really don't think updating the scenery component via an update patch is anywhere worth it for those of us doing an upgrade only, rather than a full reinstall.     I'm just trying to keep all my addons intact in the process of upgrading via patches only.      Thanks again.   

No my friend, it is because of people like YOU that others get confused. You are flat out wrong.

Do you understand the difference between REQUIRED and OPTIONAL?

It is REQUIRED to install the client to do the update. BUT there are OTHER FILES CHANGED that are OPTIONAL.

You stated that no other files are changed - untrue. The newly changed OPTIONAL files are not necessary to run P3D thus they are not required BUT if you want all or part of them, you need to run content and scenery OR run setup.exe and do the full install.

Someone with 16 whole posts chastising a member with over 13,000 posts as not being helpful.....

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

No my friend, it is because of people like YOU that others get confused. You are flat out wrong.

Do you understand the difference between REQUIRED and OPTIONAL?

It is REQUIRED to install the client to do the update. BUT there are OTHER FILES CHANGED that are OPTIONAL.

You stated that no other files are changed - untrue. The newly changed OPTIONAL files are not necessary to run P3D thus they are not required BUT if you want all or part of them, you need to run content and scenery OR run setup.exe and do the full install.

Someone with 16 whole posts chastising a member with over 13,000 posts as not being helpful.....

Vic

Please post here the official changes made by the other two installers, if you don't have this information and all the above comes from your "ideas" then you're spreading misinformation.

This is not related to have 13 millions posts or just 10, it's a matter of being able to read the instructions, instead of spreading paranoia.

Again, write here what are those changes applied by the other two installers, so people can decide if updating the whole thing is worth it.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

I will be happy to referee any and all forum infighting and/or disagreements this thread has caused, but first I will need sugar for stamina.  

6f42c25.gif

• Upvote 1

Instead of starting an unnecessary war lets just be helpful.

The jist of it:

Client is required to update your version to 3.2 and it makes the most important changes.

Content is neccessary if you use addons that require in game menus such as GSX and ASN. Edit : There are already a few threads describing this issue. You would need to backup your Autogen folder if you have external scenery addons installed and decide to install the content. 

Scenery is the least impactful and maybe only helpful if you run default scenery as opposed to ORBX or any other scenery addon.

If time is not a problem for you then go ahead and install all it won't do any harm (at least till now there are no issues). Or better still go do a full reinstall.

By the way I have to say this. All the number of posts say about a member is either :

a ) He is a very helpful or active person

b ) He has a lot of free time on his hands

Lets not make it into a reptutation kind of thing. This forum does not have any of those points systems, just number of posts. So don't flame others just cause you have thousands of posts. They are not any less smart then you are.

Regards,

Shanan

• Upvote 1

What happens if you install 3.2 over top of 3.1 en toto?  That is, w/o first uninstalling?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It will screw up the registration Noel. You'd have to contact LM and have them reset, if they will, else, uninstall ands reinstall.

Vic

Please post here the official changes made by the other two installers

Since you must have missed the post in THIS forum:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484789-prepar3d-v32-update-release-notes/

LM doesn't list the individual FILES for several reasons but you will see that HAVE indicated changes in both CONTENT and SCENERY which are optional.

So again, your information that they changed no files other than client is incorrect.

Vic

Lets not make it into a reptutation kind of thing. This forum does not have any of those points systems, just number of posts. So don't flame others just cause you have thousands of posts. They are not any less smart then you are.

First - if you've been around here for a while you would know who Fr Bill is and why his information is usually spot on. The fact that he has thousands of posts is secondary.

Second - it's not a question of who is smarter - an incorrect post was made that gave misinformation - it was corrected - that is not flaming - just a statement of fact using the tone of the original post.

Now, let's move on to discussing P3D so we don't have to shut this thread down.

Vic

Please post here the official changes made by the other two installers, if you don't have this information and all the above comes from your "ideas" then you're spreading misinformation.

Did you read the patch notes from LM? http://prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v32.html

There you can clearly see, that "Prepar3d Client", "Prepar3d Content", "Prepar3d Scenery" and "Prepar3d SDK" all received some updates. But as stated here by Vic, besides the updates within "Prepar3d Client", all others are optional.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Did you read the patch notes from LM? http://prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/what_is_new/new_v32.html

There you can clearly see, that "Prepar3d Client", "Prepar3d Content", "Prepar3d Scenery" and "Prepar3d SDK" all received some updates. But as stated here by Vic, besides the updates within "Prepar3d Client", all others are optional.

I did and that's why I'm saying why people are suggesting to install all the three parts when all the changes have been made to the client? If you scroll the list down, the only practical change that affects the other module is "Improved vegetation alpha to coverage".

I'm not criticizing those who clearly say how things works, I'm only "against" those who suggest to format the PC because the mouse stopped to work... for the god sake, first check if it's the driver before inviting persons to waste two days to install all their stuff back. :)

@Noel: it wouldn't work, I think someone posted about it already.. the installer will find the previous installation or something like that.. anyway why you would do that?

No, you did not say it like that, you said:

And this is simply wrong. You are absolutely right about the fact that the other components such as "Component", "Scenery" and "SDK" are not needed, but nothing else Vic was saying.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS