Sign in to follow this  
MontyPreston

Question about updating P3D 3.1 to 3.2 with patches only

A comprehensive 'bible' on the subject has just recently been pinnerd here at the top of Avsim P3D forum (THANK YOU Elaine):

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484945-how-do-i-update-prepar3d-v3-using-the-new-installers/

Everything one could possibly want to know about the update and/or reinstall process from 3.1 to 3.2 is explicitly detailed and expertly illustrated.    Life is good and all the villagers have been saved.    :dance:

• Upvote 1

Someone PLEASE tell me why we need multiple threads about the P3D v3.2 update, despite the fact that those threads ALWAYS start arguments over who is right?  We currently have a thread about v3.2 that has well over 500 responses, and in those (I've read about 3/4 of them so far, quite a few are people arguing about the proper way to install the update.

My advice, got to LM, read what they have posted for the update. If you still aren't sure, ask THEM to clarify since they are the ones who created P3D.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Someone PLEASE tell me why we need multiple threads about the P3D v3.2 update, despite the fact that those threads ALWAYS start arguments over who is right?  We currently have a thread about v3.2 that has well over 500 responses, and in those (I've read about 3/4 of them so far, quite a few are people arguing about the proper way to install the update.

My advice, got to LM, read what they have posted for the update. If you still aren't sure, ask THEM to clarify since they are the ones who created P3D.

-Jim

the Information on LM's forum is severely lacking. They don't address issues with programs like GSX, they mention nothing about which files to back up and over write. LM is  focused on P3D and not all the addons that users have installed in P3D and which are how they are  affected by moving to 3.2 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

the Information on LM's forum is severely lacking. They don't address issues with programs like GSX, they mention nothing about which files to back up and over write. LM is  focused on P3D and not all the addons that users have installed in P3D and which are how they are  affected by moving to 3.2 

I understand that Bob, but the title of the thread was to discuss the upgrade, not about add-ons.  I do see a lot of folks upset about add-ons not working but that isn't LM's problem.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I understand that Bob, but the title of the thread was to discuss the upgrade, not about add-ons.  I do see a lot of folks upset about add-ons not working but that isn't LM's problem.

-Jim

I would bet that the percentage of P3D users that don't have any addons is miniscule.   The  vast majority of questions that are posted on these lengthy  3.2 threads so far are  what  3.2 breaks and how to fix it. I love the addons I use, and if any of them are broken by the "simple client upgrade", I want to know about it before installing something that possibly may cause problems. LM's attitude, if you read their forum, is "If you have trouble with an addon, that's not our problem".  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I would bet that the percentage of P3D users that don't have any addons is miniscule.   The  vast majority of questions that are posted on these lengthy  3.2 threads so far are  what  3.2 breaks and how to fix it. I love the addons I use, and if any of them are broken by the "simple client upgrade", I want to know about it before installing something that possibly may cause problems. LM's attitude, if you read their forum, is "If you have trouble with an addon, that's not our problem".  

I doubt it is LM's software that is breaking anything.  More to the fact that when an add-on is "broken", it is usually the developer that needs to catch up.  Case in point, I have a lot of ORBX scenery installed in P3D.  With the recent upgrade to v3.2, I now get the Objectflow error, but recent history always suggests that until ORBX updates their Objectflow file, you should not allow the sim to run it.  I don't blame LM for the error...heck it was ME who decided to upgrade, not knowing fully if all of my add-ons were already compatible or if the developer already made updates.  Sure, it sucks when LM posts updates, not informing developers prior, in order to restore harmony and balance to the FS world, but again, this does not mean that LM broke anything, just that the developer needs to provide updates that will work with the update.

As for information, you can get assumptions, guesses and theories but until you get the right information, straight from the horse mouth, issues may continue.

-Jim

It will screw up the registration Noel. You'd have to contact LM and have them reset, if they will, else, uninstall ands reinstall.

Vic

OK, well I did uninstall all three components, and delightfully only had to reinstall FTX Global so far.   I had installed a few FTX regionals and airports prior to 3.2, they seem fine, but had not yet installed GTX nor FSDT airports, so those went in after 3.2.  In any case I'm duly impressed w/ 3.2 it is remarkably better in overall performance.  I'm delighted to learn no way I need to upgrade any of the box which is a full 3y old now.  To have total smoothness our of KPHX-HD to KSFO-HD in the NGX is brand new for me.   The sim is def smoother on the low end of frame rate now whereas previously any time I got down to a low of 22 it was generally accompanied by more stuttering behavior.  Much much less so now and most of the time taxiing around both of those airports I'm seeing 27 or so FPS in that plane, which is truly remarkable.    

Flying the complex birds thru regionals gets dicy so I'll continue using low impact planes in regionals which is fine because in tubes you're spending most of the time at elevation so excellent scenery is less important, so it's all good.  Just have to say a prayer my SSD which appears to have suffered from gremlin-induced corruption isn't in the honeymoon phase of a failure in progress.  Tests out fine always and I have maybe 24h of use post reinstall with no troubles at the same overclock so hopefully it's going to stay that way a little longer.  Once I complete all add on installs I will make a clone using Paragon.  I had forgotten how much hassle and time is involved w/ setup.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I guess I just must be lucky. I updated two systems W10 with ORBX products and W7 with GEXP3D.

I uninstalled the client, then content, then scenery. I left all my folders in place - Reboot - run client install - run content install - run scenery install - reboot - delete shaders - check DLL.XML, EXE.XML and P3D.CFG against backups - adjust any specific entries.

Run p3d and shut down.  Just had to update FSUIPC, GTN750, ASN and a few others. Ran FTX central and switched back and forth. Ran the GEX/UTX interface which squared away all my entries.  Other than a few default panels that overwrote some custom changes, it was a painless effort. Completed both systems in about 1 1/2 hours.

So far, other than known REX/Orbx issues - I have had ZERO problems.

Again to hopefully eliminate any confusion -  I updated the content and scenery sections by CHOICE - it is not mandatory - the ONLY update that is needed is the CLIENT.

It really is not that confusing!  I really believe that many people are so concerned about screwing up and having to reinstall EVERYTHING, that they are making it really difficult on themselves.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It took 5 minutes to update content and client. I really don't understand the confusion.

I updated fsupic, Latest addon manager, and when released ASN. This is with FTX Gloabal, UTX, and a variety of addon airports.

I didn't have to reboot or run as admin or disable any AV it just installed and worked. This is with Windows 10.

Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

Sean Green

I guess I just must be lucky. 

No Vic,

You just used common sense - something that is severely lacking around here ... 

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

OK, well I did uninstall all three components, and delightfully only had to reinstall FTX Global so far.   I had installed a few FTX regionals and airports prior to 3.2, they seem fine, but had not yet installed GTX nor FSDT airports, so those went in after 3.2.  In any case I'm duly impressed w/ 3.2 it is remarkably better in overall performance.  I'm delighted to learn no way I need to upgrade any of the box which is a full 3y old now.  To have total smoothness our of KPHX-HD to KSFO-HD in the NGX is brand new for me.   The sim is def smoother on the low end of frame rate now whereas previously any time I got down to a low of 22 it was generally accompanied by more stuttering behavior.  Much much less so now and most of the time taxiing around both of those airports I'm seeing 27 or so FPS in that plane, which is truly remarkable.    

Flying the complex birds thru regionals gets dicy so I'll continue using low impact planes in regionals which is fine because in tubes you're spending most of the time at elevation so excellent scenery is less important, so it's all good.  Just have to say a prayer my SSD which appears to have suffered from gremlin-induced corruption isn't in the honeymoon phase of a failure in progress.  Tests out fine always and I have maybe 24h of use post reinstall with no troubles at the same overclock so hopefully it's going to stay that way a little longer.  Once I complete all add on installs I will make a clone using Paragon.  I had forgotten how much hassle and time is involved w/ setup.

Well done Noel - told yah it was good

Rich Sennett

Well done Noel - told yah it was good

Yep thanks Rich--say a prayer my SSD lives til I clone the sucker!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yep thanks Rich--say a prayer my SSD lives til I clone the sucker!

LOL I will my friend

Rich Sennett

My SB-E continues to fly.  The reapplication, more correctly, of arctic silver has made a significant difference for certain.  I would say at peak hyper threaded load on P3D I'm down a full 4C+ degrees at 4.43Ghz/1.32v.  Clearly I must have applied it poorly previously...OR....using the square method so the entire heat spreader indeed improved its efficacy.  And well it should really.  To have FULL surface heat transfer means the heat uptake on the HSF block can't do anything less than add some more efficacy, or so it seems.  I conclude I must have had air bubbles because at this OC in this ambient TEMP at this over volt 65-66C was the norm, now it's right at 60-61C.

Noel

First - if you've been around here for a while you would know who Fr Bill is and why his information is usually spot on. The fact that he has thousands of posts is secondary.

Second - it's not a question of who is smarter - an incorrect post was made that gave misinformation - it was corrected - that is not flaming - just a statement of fact using the tone of the original post.

Exactly my point. It was you who had to bring number of posts into the discussion.

All I'm saying is there are cases where someone with 10 posts may be more accurate on a certain matter with someone who has thousands of posts.