Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

How Do I Update Prepar3D V3 Using the New Installers

So I have to reinstall FTX Global Base, VECTOR and all the other Orbx stuff after following these steps? (Client, Content & Scenery)

Yes and now. Do the sequence:

1. Uninstall and install Client,

2. Uninstall and install Content

3. Uninstall and install Scenery.

Then, the only thing you need to do is to install only FTX global (you don't have to uninstall it and you do not have to install Vector and OpenLC again)

Arek

• Upvote 1

I ended up installing FTX Global along with Vector and Canada/Alaska.  No harm.  I also had to update FSDT.  

Does uninstalling scenery affect ORBX files?

Autogen
The content installer does replace the autogen definitions. However, to restore them you only have to run FTX Central and switch regions. That’s it. No need to backup the Autogen folder.

How do you do this exactly?

I ended up installing FTX Global along with Vector and Canada/Alaska.  No harm.  I also had to update FSDT.  

How do you reinstall FTX global, without having to purchase the license again? Also, did you have to reinstall all FSDT airports / products?

Hello Damian,  I'm just in the middle of adding an extra bit to the Tutorial,  I should have it up by Tomorrow night.

But to answer your question now.  

When you Update Content the Installer will completely remove and replace your Autogen folder leaving your Autogen Entries back to a default v3.2 or what ever the update is.  You can fix this by going to your FTX Control Panel,  Picking a region:  Example: Europe or Global and clicking apply, that's it, all done. 

FTX Global only:   When you install FTX Global,  All your Default Textures will be replaced by Orbx Textures in your main Prepar3d folder located here Prepar3D V3   Scenery  World  Texture.   When you update your scenery it will remove the Orbtx files and replace them with default v3.2 files or what ever the Update is.  To fix this just run the FTX Global Installer again,  No need to Uninstall FTX Global,  Just run the Installer again,  That's it.   

Please note: FTX Global will also Install several .dds files into your Texture folder and several more files into your Effects folder among other locations,  I will be doing some more Uninstalling and Installing Tomorrow evening to see the results if any of this. 

Also, did you have to reinstall all FSDT airports / products?

No, When you Install FSDT Airports they will Install into a separate folder in your main Prepar3D folder.  You might have to Run the addon_manager Installer again to have your airports working correctly  

I cannot get the GSX window to come up

GSX will Install into your simobjects folder.   Run the addon_manager Installer again to get your GSX window working properly.

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html

I should have a proper extra Picture Tutorial up Tomorrow evening. 

• Upvote 1

Just some very basic Questions and Answers to finish up on things 

Please Note:  Regarding Prepar3D V3 and 3rd Party Software.  The following Results will more then likely Change from Update to Update.  

================================

Question:   What is the point of these new Installers?  And why don't i just do a complete Uninstall of the old version and Install with the most current version of Prepar3D V3? 

Answer:   These new Update Installers will allow you to update Prepar3D to the most current version without having to Uninstall all your old 3rd Party Software and start all over again from scratch,  Basically with some minor adjustments you get to keep all your Add On's   

---------------

Question:  Do i Need to\Have to update all 3 Installers, ClientContent and Scenery ? 

Answer:   No,  The only Installer you Need to\Have to update to bring you to the most current version of Prepar3D is Client, this update is a must if you want the most current version,  Scenery and Content is optional.    

------------------

Question:   Do i Uninstall the old stuff first,  Client and or Content and Scenery 

Answer:    Yes you need to Uninstall the old Client and or Content and Scenery first by going to your Control Panel and navigating to Programs and Features.   Remember Content and Scenery is Optional,  Client is the main Update 

If you don't Uninstall first you will see this message 

26455932442_5b66ceea2f_o.png

Question:  After i download my new version of Prepar3D,  is there a way i can tell that my download went successfully and is not corrupt?   I read about being able to check your Download Check sum? 

Answer:  Yes,  a MD5 Checksum is a method you can use to verify the Integrity of your download.  Personally i use MD5-SHA Checksum Utility http://download.cnet...4-10911445.html

Its small, its free and easy to use.  

After you Install this little Utility,  Click on it, Tick the box MD5 and Browse to your Zipped Download and Click on it,  As you can see the Checksum Number from your Zipped Download will appear,  Now you need to Copy and Paste the Checksum number from the Prepar3D website and pop it into the little window on the bottom "Hash"  Click Verify,  If all is Ok you will see the little window appear telling you so.  

26274778690_acac347ecf_o.png

If your going to Install just one or two of the Installers,  You can also Verify the MD5 Checksum on the individual Installers by UnZipping your Download and following the process above,  Click and Drag the Installers you want to verify from your UnZipped Download and check them against these.  

26547855695_28fa3a3080_o.png

========================

Question:  Can I Update Prepar3D with these Installers directly off the site without downloading the entire Download?  

Answer:  It is Highly recommended that you download the entire folder to your computer,  This way you will have the complete downloaded to Install in your own comfort and time

Yes, you can Install directly from the Prepar3D website.  Client is a stand alone Installer, Just click to Install.  Content comes in 2 parts,  Download cont1.cab first then run the Content.msi Installer.  Scenery,  you will have to download all the Scenery files first, then run the Scenery.msi.  Like i said, it is recommended to download the complete Prepar3D download. 

26482000051_44a099b099_o.png

================================

Question:  After the Download is complete,  what is the best method to Extract the Download ?  Will i use the Windows in-built 'extract' feature ? 

Answer:  Personally i only use  7zip or WinZip to Extract Downloads "Decompress"  Zipped folders,  Its the safest method. 

==================================================

Question:   Ok,  But will my 3rd Party Software Add On's be effected if by using these update Installers?   

Answer:  Ok, let me explain first with the Add On's that i currently use,  What happens when you Install these Specific Add On's and then i will go through each Update and see "what" if any changes are made.   

When you Install..........

Rex_Texture Direct:  When you Inject your Rex Texture Theme into Prepar3D it will mostly Modify files in your Texture folder,  also files will be Modified in the following folders, Sounds,  Effects\Texture folder.

extra files will be Injected your Texture folder this folder, Sunglow2.bmp + rex_glow.dds + rex_corona.dds.  It will add 3 Entries to your suneffects.cfg in ProgramData,   1 x Texture="rex_corona.dds"  and  2 x Texture="rex_glow.dds" 

"Terrain Bumpmap" will modify 1 file in  your Scenery\world\texture folder.

2 "Jetway Mark" files will be modified in your Scenery\Global\Texture folder.   "Global Water"  will rename and Modify up to 180  files in your Scenery\World\Texture folder.  

With the latest Build of Rex_Texture Direct they offer a choose to adjust the size of clouds  "Cloud Sizing algorithm"  when you select this option it will Modify the Cloud.fx Entry in your ShadersHLSL folder to achieve this. 

-------------------------

Rex Soft Clouds:  When you Inject Rex Soft Clouds it will Modify the "cumulus01.bmp" in your Texture folder. This application also has the choice to adjust the size of clouds "Cloud Sizing algorithm" this will also Modify the Cloud.fx file in your ShadersHLSL folder. 

-------------------------

PrecipitFX:  When you Inject PrecipitFX into Prepar3D it will Install files into your Textures folder. It will also Install files to your Effects folder and a further 2 files in Effects\Textures folder called "Contrail" and "vaportrail"

It will also add an Entry with up to 9 different effects to each one of your Planes in your aircraft.cfg located in Prepar3D v3\Simobjects

---------------------------

Orbx FTX Global + Orbtx Libs:  When you Install Orbx Global it will Create an Orbtx folder Inside your Prepar3D folder, This folder will remain Untouched during the process of updating Client, Content and Scenery.  The Installer will replace all your Default Textures located in  Prepar3d V3   Scenery  World  Texture with Orbx Textures.   Files will be added and Modified in the following folders,  Texture,  Weather\Themes  Effects, Sounds, Effects\Texture,  Scenery\Global\Texture,   Scenery\Global\Scenery and 1 file will be modified in Scenery\Base\Scenery.      4 Entries in your Autogen folder will be Modified, Date 2014.

Orbx Vector 1.35:   Will Install mostly to your Orbx folder,  But will also Install and modify a large number of files to your Scenery\Global\Texture and your Scenery\Global\Scenery folder.   

Orbx Regions\Airports:   Will Install mostly to your Orbx folder, But will also Install up to files Texture, Effects and Effects\Texture folder   

Orbtx Libs:  is the finishing "Sprinkles on the cake"  that must be Installed after you Install an Orbtx product. It will Update, Modify and Install files to all the above folders 

------------------------------

GSX "Ground Services X"  Will Install to your fsdreamfolder folder.  Files will also be Installed to your Effects and Simobjects\Miscfolder 

An Entry for Addon_Manager and couatl will Install to your dll.xml and exe.xml file located here  AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3.

FSDT "FSDreamTeam" Airports:  Will create 2 folders called "fsdreamteam" and "Flightbeam" inside your prepar3D folder, these folders are also untouched during this process.  The Installer will Install mostly into these folders and will install into your Effects folder and your Simobjects\Misc folder.  6 "bglmanx" files will Install to the bottom of your Prepar3D folder and will be updated with each additional FSDT product 

An Entry for Addon_Manager and couatl will Install to your dll.xml and exe.xml file located here  AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3. 

-----------------------  

Updating the Client only.    Please Note: The results of this may change with future Prepar3D and 3rd Party Software Updates 

1  After you Uninstall Client the files and folders i have outlined in red are completely removed , These folders are licenses, propfeds, Scaleform,  ShadersHLSL, and trinton,  also up to 93 files will be removed from the bottom (underneath yellow folders) 

As you can see these folders are now gone and the only files i have at the bottom of my folders is 3rd Party Software files,  These remain untouched. 

Results: 

After the process of uninstalling and installing Client ONLY, the 4 folders listed above will be Installed again to a Default Value.   The one folder that catches my attention is ShadersHLSL.  I use the Rex_Texture Direct  "Cloud Sizing Algorithm" option that Modify s the Cloud.fx Entry in your ShadersHLSL folder.  I will now go to my Rex _Texture Control panel and select this option again,  That's it, all done. 

PreciptFX: At the time of writing this PreciptFX: does Not modify or add anything to the ShadersHLSL folder,  So if you are doing a Client update only,  PrecipitFX should not be effected.

26462854201_d430c004aa_o.png

====================

Updating Content

Question:  Ok, so i have Updated Client,  What about Updating Content will this affect any of my Add On's? 

Answer:  Content is a much bigger Update then Client and will Remove-Replace and Modify a lot more files and folders.  

With this Specific Content Update the 11 folders shown below will be Removed OR Modified.  The folders outlined in Red will be Completely Removed when you Uninstall Content and then Replaced with Updated folders after you Install the new Content.    

The Autogen Folder will be replaced by the New updated Autogen folder, leaving all Entries back to Default again,  More on this in a moment.  

The other seven folders, Textures, effects, sounds, fonts, gaugessimobjects and weather will all be Modified, removing  most if not all Default files.   

26503684766_ef22c0f040_o.png

Before I Install the New Content i will have a peep at the 7 remaining folders folders to see how my Add On's were affected by Uninstalling Content. 

PrecipitFX:   It appears very little or even No files where removed during this Process,  

Please Note:  This will change from Update to Update it is highly recommended that after a Content Update you should Inject your PrecipitFX again.  

"When updating P3D, the Content updater might restore old texture files. VFXCentral was made to detect those changes and react accordingly, making sure the files are properly installed and that every aircraft.cfg contains the necessary configuration lines" 

Rex_Texture Direct will be effected in most locations,  this is because Rex mostly modifies Default files and a lot of the time these will be removed.  

Rex_Soft Clouds will also be effected as it modifies the Default  "cumulus01.bmp" file. 

Orbtx Regions and Airports:   Effects, Texture Weather\theme and Sounds folder seem to be Untouched 

GSX:      GSX Effects and Simobjects\Misc folder are Untouched 

FSDT Airports:   Simobjects\Misc and Effects folder are also Untouched.  

Simobjects:        No Add On's were effected 

Fonts:                  No Add On's were effected. 

Sounds:    Orbx Sounds seem untouched.  Rex sounds have been effected  

Weather\Themes   Orbx Weather is also Untouched 

-------------------------------------

So after Updating the Content and With the Add On's that i have listed above,  I will now do 5 things 

(1) To sort your Orbtx Autogen Entries

Go to your FTX Control Panel.  Click either FTX Global or Europe and click apply,  Thats it.  If you go back to your Autogen folder you will notice that you have your 4 Entries back dated 2014, Obviously these dates will change with upcoming Orbtx updates. 

26078461404_bdddd22a2f_o.png

(2) Go to your Rex_Texture Control Panel and Inject your Theme again. 

(3) Run the FSDT addon_Manager again if you have any FSDT Products like Airports or Ground Services X Installed  https://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html

(4) Inject PrecipitFX again.      

(5) Install Orbtx Libs again 

=============================================

Updating Scenery.  

In this Specific Update,  When you Uninstall and Install with the New Scenery.  These specific Rex_Texture Files that have been Modified will be back to Default again 

"Terrain Bumpmap" in  Scenery\world\texture folder.  2 "Jetway Mark" files in Scenery\Global\Texture folder.   And "Global Water" in  Scenery\World\Texture folder. 

Also a lot of Orbx files are missing in my scenery folder 

So after this Scenery Update I will now do 2 things.

(1)  Go to your Rex_Texture Control Panel and Inject your Theme again.

(2)  ReRun the Orbtx Global Installer again.  Do Not Uninstall Orbtx Global,  Just Run the Installer again and the Installer will look for and Replace all the required files 

Hi Elaine!

Excellent work! I already updated the client and the content and I want to update the scenery. I understand I've to inject again my Rex soft clouds textures and ReRun the FTX Global installer but what about FTX global airports like Telluride or Sedona? Of course I can delete the "backup" done by the FTX Global installer at  the first time I run it because it will do another one at the ReRun. Is my understanding correct?

Cheers

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

So what you are saying that is if LM updates P3D every few  months, which they have been doing lately, you rebuild your entire hard drive and reinstall the entire simulator and all add ons. Wow, I think I would rather get a root canal every few months.. :wink:  

A root canal and a long un-sharpened darning needle dripping with hot sauce is slowly pushed into my eyeball....as some hidden, sweet and gentle voice encourages...."Shhhhhhhhhhh...don't wiggle...We wouldn't want this to take longer than the required  two weeks...nowww wwwould weeee  dearrrrrr?"

C

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I was wrong about FTX Vector Installing files into your Scenery folder,  It doesn't  :blush2:   

---------------

Orbx Libs 160321

No matter what Orbx product you have the Orbx Libs Installer will Install 82 files into Scenery\Global\Texture and 15 files Scenery\Global\Scenery.  

-------------------

Global Airports:  The following files below are Installed through the Global Airport Installer and Not the Orbtx Libs Installer. So in future updates if these files are removed when Updating Scenery, you will have to reinstall these Specific Airports   

Sedona KSEZ:  2 files will Install to Scenery\World\Scenery called "Westsim_Sedona_APX_ALT.BGL2  and  "Traffic_KSEZ_Traffic.bgl"  

Telluride KTEX:  3 files will Install to Scenery\World\Scenery called "Westsim_CO68_APX_ALT.bgl"   "Westim_wilsonRanch_APX_ALT.bgl"  and  "Traffic_KTEX_GA_Traffic.bgl"

After Uninstalling Scenery and Installing the new updated Scenery, The five files installed into Scenery\World\Scenery from the 2 Global Airports were left Untouched  

Also none of the Orbtx Lib files were removed during this process.  

So that's a good result.

Just to finish up.  Personally when I'm updating either Scenery or Content in the future i will be running the Orbx Installer again (Just to be on the safe side) 

I can delete the "backup" done by the FTX Global installer at  the first time I run it because it will do another one at the ReRun. Is my understanding correct?

Hello Pat  :smile:   Yes every time you Run the FTX Global Installer it will give you an option to create a BackUp folder 

Thank you Elaine! Finally for FTX Global Airports same treatment as for FTX Global, I mean a Rerun :wink:

Best regards

Pat

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

In Theory,  Regarding these 2 Specific Airports, if these files are still Present after you do the Process you should be good to go.  

But, Yes, there is no harm to run the Global Airport Installer again,  for peace of mind as it only takes seconds to do.   

Sedona KSEZ:  2 files will Install to Scenery\World\Scenery called "Westsim_Sedona_APX_ALT.BGL2  and  "Traffic_KSEZ_Traffic.bgl"  

Telluride KTEX:  3 files will Install to Scenery\World\Scenery called "Westsim_CO68_APX_ALT.bgl"   "Westim_wilsonRanch_APX_ALT.bgl"  and  "Traffic_KTEX_GA_Traffic.bgl"

Finally I do a complete reinstall to V3.2 :wink: ! It's a long way...when you have lots of scenery. Just one thing I don't understand right now is why I have no clouds(It's raining without clouds and a blue sky) whetever weather I use, native or ASN generated :Hmmmph: . I guess I will open a new topic to ask some help after an AVSIM search!

Best regards

Pat

Patrick Mussotte

A question about updating Scenery - Many third party installers will rename particular stock scenery files to e.g. *.old in order to avoid conflicts. Will updating the scenery.msi cause those files to get re-written?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP