Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

How Do I Update Prepar3D V3 Using the New Installers

Hello

Is it possible to update a previous P3Dv3.0 professional installation with the client and content only of P3Dv3.3 academic?

I am thinking of uninstalling the client and content then re-booting and installing the new client first and then the content. Hopefully this avoids having to re-install add-ons..

Regards

Alvaro Escorcia

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Hello Alvaro, 

Are you asking is it Possible to update Prepar3D Professional with the Client and Content from Prepar3D Academic ? 

Ok, So you have Prepar3D Professional Installed currently and you want to Update,  Why don't you just Update the Client and Content for Prepar3D Professional ?

A small point.

I updated to v3.4 just via "client" and had a problem cycling through camera views via my joystick button. Twice in three flights the sim crashed; on both occasions becoming stuck in the Oculus view before closing down. I solved this by simply editing out (using //) the appropriate entries in my cameras.cfg but LM have stated on their forum in answer to my question that unless you have several custom views set up you should delete the existing .cfg and let P3D create a new one.  

• Upvote 1

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

On updating to 3.4.9, still unclear, if you uninstall the content and reinstall the content.. you only need to open the ftx central app to push back things that got overwritten? No need to reinstall?  In my case i have GEX + FTX addons (PNW).. i'm assuming its not necessary to reinstall each airport and each region.. but maybe needing to reinstall GEX and repush any REX + PreceipFX themes?

I didnt both with uninstalling/reinstalling the scenery update.. i was concerned that 80% of addons would need a reinstall to get their effects back.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

For this Update 3.4,  Its recommended to Update with the Client only 

"" It is strongly recommended to only download and install the client as there are only minor updates to content and scenery for this release""

But to answer your Question..........

To my Knowledge

Content   A Content Uninstall\Update will remove and replace all default files that have been modified by 3rd Party Software leaving them back to Default again.  Orbx Regions, Airports and Open LC\Europe Inject extra files as apposed to modifying default files (So these are not touched) 

Result  After you Update with Content Run the orbx Libraries and then Open your FTX Control Panel (Wait 10 seconds)    If you have Utilities like Active Sky Cloud Art Or Rex Textures Direct or PrecipiFx you will have to  Inject your Theme again

Scenery  I do not have GEX but as far as i know it acts the same as FTX Global replacing the Default files in Scenery \ World \ Texture.  

Result  After Updating Scenery  Run the FTX Global Base or your GEX installer again.  Run the orbx Libraries again (Just to be safe)  

We go through these set of complexities every new release and/or hotfix.

Am I the only one that wishes Lockheed would write an intelligent installer that would walk through the flowcharts and decision trees described here?   I have a B.S. in Computer Science and I know this could be done via a proper installer....and I also feel for those less technical folks who struggle with figuring all this out when all they want to do is update and fly.

Mark Trainer

• Upvote 1

In an attempt to update, thought i had uninstalled correctly the necessary files. Apparently not.

Now after 3 failures, I get what is indicated as a good install but the initial Prepar3d blue page on startup after minutes goes no where. When I open task manager it doesn't show up there as active.

Is there a file I can run that does a complete scrub of all previous prepar3d folders so I can get a clean install?

Would rather not strip the drive and start over from scratch

Thanks

Rich

Hello Rich.

Your probably sorted by now,  If not,  Can you check your main Prepar3D v3 Core folder and insure the below 17 Red  folders are present ? 

Install_ Client.msi        Licences, propdefs, Scaleform, ShadersHLSL, trinton

Install_ Content.msi     redist, SimObjects, Weather, Scenarios, Ecosystem, Fonts, Autogen, Effects, gauges, Sound, Texture

Install_ Scenery.msi     Scenery

Introduction

This is a Tutorial to Update Prepar3D V3.1 To V3.2 using the New Update Installers

With the Release of Prepar3D Version 3 on the 30/10/15 we can Update from Version to Version without doing a Complete Reinstall  

""The Prepar3D Installer now split's into three separate components which can be updated and installed independently: Client, Content, and Scenery""

_Client.msi  This is the Main update, This will bring Prepar3D to the latest Version.  You need this to Update Prepar3D 

_Content and _Scenery Updates are Optional.  Please Read the Release Notes from the Link Provide below and decide weather Or Not You want to Update these Components 

The Bottom line is,  You can choose to Update Prepar3D using the New Update Installers outlined below,  Or you can do a Complete Uninstall and Reinstall of Prepar3D to the Latest version, In this Case V3.2. 

Personally speaking i always do i Complete Uninstall and Reinstall with the Latest Version, But for the purposes of this Tutorial i will Update using the New Update Installers

I will Install the Client Update which will bring me up to Version 3.2, I have decided also to Update the Scenery.  

=======================================

--------
INDEX
--------

(1) Downloading Prepar3D V3.2 Complete. 

(2) Uninstalling The Client  (Scenery and Content Optional) 

(3) Installing/Updating  

(4) Confirming the New Update was successful 

====================
----------------------------------------

(*5*)  Uninstalling  Prepar3D completely. 

(*6*)  Installing Prepar3d V 3.2

Click Pictures to Make them Big
=======================================================

(1)  Downloading Prepar3D V3.2 Complete. 

When a new updated is released I will always Download the Complete Prepar3D Download from the Website and save it in a safe Location on my PC, This way you can always have the complete folder close to hand.    

Go to  http://www.prepar3d.com/purchased_downloads/  Enter your Customer Account Information and Click Submit

25536717902_981f3478fe_o.png

You can download V 3.2 (9.80 GB)  Complete by left Clicking.  Depending on your Internet speed this should between 30 Minutes and 3/4 hours.

When my Download is Complete,  i will go straight to the Next Step and come back to this later 

25536719362_44d409a092_o.png

=================================================

(2) Uninstalling The Client  (Scenery and Content Optional) 

I will now Uninstall Client and Scenery from Programs and Features.   Go to   Programs ► Programs and Features ► Uninstall or change a program 

1 Right Click on Client and Uninstall.   2 Right Click on Scenery (Optional) and Uninstall.  Please Note this is the exact same process for Content,  If you chose to Uninstall and Update it.

25629277896_fbc9a695db_o.png

Before You Proceed Restart your Computer 

============================================= 

(3) Installing/Updating 

Before you go any further,  Go back to your Programs and Features and Confirm that you have successfully Uninstalled your Client and Or Scenery and Content. 

Now, lets have a look at the New Downloaded Prepar3D V3.2 Folder 

Setup.exe is used Only if you are doing a Full Reinstall to 3.2   (More on this later) 

Install_Client.msi,  YOU Need this. If you want to Update Prepar3D V3 to V 3.2 Or the Next available Update you Need to Install the Client.   The Client is the "Engine" of Prepar3D.

Install_Content.msi and Install_Scenery.msi are Optional Updates.  Please read the Release Notes.  

If you look at the Bottom of the Image you will see that the Scenery Update Notes tells me that there will be "Improved Vegetation Coverage"  So i will also Install the Scenery.msi 

25380975030_51c6f60e0e_o.png

You Need to Install the Client first.   If you try and Install the Scenery.msi first you will be greeted with this Message.  No problem just Click Ok and Install the Client 

25655321366_7bb5711876_o.png

Right Click on Install_Client.msi and Click Install.  Please Insure the Installer has correctly picked your Prepar3D Installed Location,  Click Next.  Click Finish 

25656016676_9f1bc2c8c8_o.png

Next, Right Click on Install_Scenery.msi and Click Install.  This process will take a little Longer, Follow the simple steps through. As you can see my Scenery is now Installed. 

25381225980_7c95893490_o.png

Before you Proceed Restart your Computer 

====================================================================    

(4) Confirming the New Update was successful

You can go back to Programs and Features and Confirm that the Client and Or Scenery and Content has now been updated to 3.2 

25629276776_5633136b44_o.png

When you Start Prepar3D you will have to Activate again.  This is Normal. 

25655473505_e701bf3813_o.png

In Prepar3D you can Click Help and About Lockheed Martin.  You can check your Version here any-time as well. 

25562772091_5499ce2b88_o.png

You have Now successfully Updated Prepar3D to the Current Version 

=====================================================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(*5*)   Uninstalling Prepar3D Completely.   *Warning this process will Completely Uninstall Prepar3D from your Computer.

If you want to Completely Uninstall Prepar3D  You can follow the steps in this Guide here   http://www.avsim.com/topic/480898-how-do-i-uninstall-prepar3d-v3/#entry3348670

(*6*)  Installing Prepar3D V3.2

You can Install Prepar3D V3.2 from Inside the same Folder.  Right Click on Setup.exe and Run as administrator. The Installer will Install Over 20 gigs of Data to your Computer so pick a suitable Location.

The Installer will want to Install to your C Drive, If you are happy with this, Click Install.  You can also Browse to a Different Location and Install there.  When finished Click Close and Restart your Computer.       

25563297672_29e33de1ef_o.png

Thank you 

You're terrific for doing this!

It seems the link to "completely uninstalling P3D is not working.

I found your posts of virtually the same thing over at the P3D forum, but its missing the piece on the registry edits.

Can you help?

Thanks.

Dan Cole

It seems the link to "completely uninstalling P3D is not working.

I found your posts of virtually the same thing over at the P3D forum, but its missing the piece on the registry edits.

Can you help?

Hello Dan,

Yes the Original Guide to Uninstall Prepar3D v3 had steps in it to remove Entries in the Register editor  But these steps are Not needed in a normal Uninstall process,  So i requested the Original Guide to be hidden 

To Uninstall Prepar3D v3 Including Deleting the Prepar3D Folders\Directories,  Click the link ---)  http://www.avsim.com/topic/494936-uninstalling-prepar3d-v3/

Hello Dan,

Yes the Original Guide to Uninstall Prepar3D v3 had steps in it to remove Entries in the Register editor  But these steps are Not needed in a normal Uninstall process,  So i requested the Original Guide to be hidden 

To Uninstall Prepar3D v3 Including Deleting the Prepar3D Folders\Directories,  Click the link ---)  http://www.avsim.com/topic/494936-uninstalling-prepar3d-v3/

OK, thanks. I'm guessing too many folks broke their systems by messing with regedit.

Dan Cole

hallo all,

recently installed P3D version 3.

after instal my TEamspeak does not work when p3D is active. therefore each time i have to click on teamspeak to activate this. is this a matter of setting defaults in P3D or into teamspeak

is there anyone who can help my out for this problem.

regards and thanks in advance

TFF641