Sign in to follow this  
godimaginedme

F1 GTN is up to date

Yes, very easy to update, took about 15 seconds and working well in all my GTN equipped aircraft.

Anyone know how to get ride of "Don't Sink"?  

Cheers, Rob.

The "Sink Rate" will stick around, even if you inhibit the terrain warning. It's looking to see if you're descending less than 1000FPM below 1000' agl. If you're doing more than 1000 FPM below 1000' agl, you'll get the warning. If you're descending excessively and you're more than 1000' agl, but getting close to it (i don't know the time exactly), you'll also get the warning.

The best way to get rid of it is to stabilize your approach.  

• Upvote 1

Hey Andrew,

I understand it's function and activation parameters, I was wondering more about any back door GTN config setting.  For example if doing acrobatic flight over an airport it's nice to have the GTN on as a reference check.

I tried to turn the volume down on the GTN, but still can't seem to squelch the "Don't sink" ... but that's not really what I would want as I don't want the warning to appear either since it blocks the map display.

Cheers, Rob.

You can turn the volume down with the Playback Devices applet in the Windows Taskbar. The slider for the GTN only shows up when the unit is active.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jay, but my goal was to suppress the message also ... when the message comes up it blocks the underlying map display and hence can't be used as a quick reference to make sure I'm lined up and/or where I think I should be.

Cheers, Rob.

That's interesting. I never see the message with Terrain turned off. Are there multiple locations in the GTN settings that affect the Terrain option?

EDIT: Is the airport in the GTN's database?

Thanks Jay, but my goal was to suppress the message also ... when the message comes up it blocks the underlying map display and hence can't be used as a quick reference to make sure I'm lined up and/or where I think I should be.

Cheers, Rob.

Rename the dont sink audio file to .old - who needs it anyway - done - thats what I would do but now you wont do that lol

Rich Sennett

Is the airport in the GTN's database?

Not always, but in most cases yes.  

Hey Rich, it's not just the sound, but the warning message overlay covers up the map display so I can't get a quick reference check.  I realize GTN's probably aren't used during real world acrobatics, but I figure it's there, I'm not proficient at aerobatics, why not use it as an aid.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rich, it's not just the sound, but the warning message overlay covers up the map display so I can't get a quick reference check.  I realize GTN's probably aren't used during real world acrobatics, but I figure it's there, I'm not proficient at aerobatics, why not use it as an aid.

Cheers, Rob.

Ah ok Rob thats not good sorry do not no my way around that program if theres one that can figure it out its you - I havent used GTN since the day I bought it actually

Rich Sennett

Cheers, Rob.

You might need someone with a real life GTN 750 to answer your question. I'm pretty sure that if an airport is not in the RL GTN's database, you can't stop those warnings, because the unit thinks you are trying to land where there's no airport. :p0504:

I also think that if your glide path is too steep (as Andrew detailed above), beyond what the 3D GPS in the GTN thinks is safe, you also can't turn those warnings off.  But that's the only times I've seen those warnings. But you shouldn't see them all the time on every approach.

I get the warning occasionally when on normal approach with normal descent rate at some freeware add on airports.

Did the sticking Home button get fixed? Understand it was passing through an issue with the most recent Garmin Trainer.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere