Sign in to follow this  
kosull.88

Looking for advice on a new build

Looking to order the following for a new build. Any comments would be appreciated.

Motherboard - ASUS Z170-PRO ATX DDR4 NA Motherboards Z170-PRO $195

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016A44XHK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

CPU - Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 $360

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012M8LXQW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x 8 GB) (Dual Channel Kit) 3000MHz DDR4 $100

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0141X4B5Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1O63NEWOAZXWR

GPU - ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5 256-bit $325

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ9BJ8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) $163

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CD - Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) $25

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PSU - Corsair 750w (already have)

Fan - Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60 (already have)

Total $1168

I'm not super tech savvy and don't intend to over clock but might consider it if it's not too complicated and risky.

Considering an i5 (Intel Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151 $245)

Not sure if the i7 is worth the extra $100.

I was also curious what everyone thinks about the z170pro vs different 170 models

I was originally looking at the ASUS z97 but from what I have seen so far it looks like it's best to upgrade to the newer tech. I wanted the ability to add another video card if I want to go for triple monitors. Ideally I would like to go the next 3-5 years without having to do any major updates

Again, I am not super techy but would appreciate any tips or tweaks to help give me the most hassle free system. I intend to used windows 10 as well.

I quite like your choices.

Would be wonderful if you could afford to go up a tad for the graphics card, but if budget doesn't permit, then fair enough, the 970 isn't a bad card at all.

If you went for the 6600K, then I guess you could put the rest toward a GTX 980. The 6600K is a nice chip, no HT but then most of us don't need it. Doesn't overclock quite as far as the 6700K but not far off, 4.6 GHz should be within reach. Your decision to make of course. 

You RAM choice I definitely agree with GSkill have designed the Ripjaw V's with Skylake in mind and use top quality Samsung modules.

Can't advise on the Z170 Pro, as I went for the Z170-A. Best to check out the reviews.

I'm not a fan of AIO water coolers to be honest. The H60 will be 10 degrees warmer than the NH-D15S I favour and nosier. But this is a personal preference so your decision. Some like AIO's, some don't.

I'm not super tech savvy and don't intend to over clock but might consider it if it's not too complicated and risky. 

It's not that risky to be honest, precisely why Intel will sell you their Performance Tuning plan for a mere £25. It's overclocking insurance. Knacker your CPU overcloking and they will send you a new one. They wouldn't do this of course if it was very risky. Motherboards and CPU's are designed for it these days.

You can overclock manually or use Five Way Optimisation that comes with your board. Quite sophisticated software actually that does a pretty good job... as long as you watch the videos and know what the handful of setting actually do. It does annoy me that many who try 5WO just give it a cursory glance, don't bother to learn much about it, just click a few buttons at random, and then complain that it didn't do what they wanted. They then go on forums and tell people that they MUST overclock manually. So irritating these people.

Sounds like a really nice system to me.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I have almost precisely the same system (my GTX 970 is an EVGA, which is the only difference) and my overclock is 4.8 ( technician done and guaranteed) and it is pretty flawless running FSX.

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to stay away from over clocking as along as possible. Ideally I would just be happy with a processor that had enough stock speed to do the job. I don't have a ton of add ons so I think I'll be ok without OC. I was hoping to save some money and downgrade the processor but it's probably best to just build high now and let the system be good for several years.

I'll check out the cooling unit mentioned. I was only planning on using the h60 because I already had it.

Thanks again,

Kevin O

Great system.  I'm buying almost an identical one but with the 980 card and the CPU overclocked to 4.5   Are you overclocking your CPU?

My guess is that if you don't run a bunch of add-on scenery and keep AI traffic, especially ground vehicles and leisure boats, to a minimum, don't turn the autogen to maximum, you will not have to overclock to get good performance.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I recently bought a very similar pre-built system for about $1,400.  Some of the components are not as top shelf as your list - but I did get the 6700K (Not O/C), the GTX 970 - 16GB's Ram - 800W PSU - MSI Z170A MOBO.

It came with a 128GB SSD + 2TB HD.  I added a Samsung 500GB SSD for the/OS & FS apps, having quickly run out of space on the 128 SSD.  

Don't be to hasty to O/C before you test-drive the 6700K - I currently get really good FPS on FSX-SE with sliders almost at max, with very few stutters + using FX10.  Good luck on your build  (Just installing the added SSD caused a lot of nervous sweat, so I'm sure glad someone else did the whole build for me :wink:). 

I'll check out the cooling unit mentioned. I was only planning on using the h60 because I already had it.

Thanks again,

Kevin O

Are you referring to the NH-D15S I mentioned? If so, you need to decide if you are someone that's okay with closed loop coolers. or if, like me, you prefer big tower coolers. 

If you decide big tower coolers are the way to go, then the D15S fits the bill "if you intend to overclock some time in the future". If not, it's currently overkill for you. If you do go that way, then you will need to determine if it fits your enclosure, it's big, very big!

I'm in it for about 1300 the only parts I'm reusing are the H60 cooler and PSU.

I haven't build a new PC in forever and a looking to any good guides on the hardware and software install.   I'm not sure if I will need to do anything with the BOIS and how to go about updating it.

my plan is to install all hardware fire it up and install windows 10, check for updates, then install any drivers.

I'm in it for about 1300 the only parts I'm reusing are the H60 cooler and PSU.

I haven't build a new PC in forever and a looking to any good guides on the hardware and software install.   I'm not sure if I will need to do anything with the BOIS and how to go about updating it.

my plan is to install all hardware fire it up and install windows 10, check for updates, then install any drivers.

With the advent of Windows Plug-n-Play, that's pretty much all you have to do.  Build your computer, install the motherboard drivers, install HDD/SSD drivers unless you want Windows to use it's default driver, then install Windows.  Once Windows is operational, it will detect your hardware and prompt you to install the drivers.