Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

What's your day job?

air traffic controller eight years for the US Army and FAA until the Reagan- PATCO tragedy

Vic,

When I saw the "PATCO" I thought you might be an ex-controller.

I always enjoyed the PATCO controllers on my jump seat when they were doing FAM trips.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

>Retired from American Airlines in January. Most of that time was with US Airways.

Mike, What stations were you? I was an AP for USAir / US Airways at LAX / BWI / CLT, working 727,737-200/300/400, 757,767, A319/320/321, F28, F100.

For the past 7 years though , Sr. Internal Sales Manager for Gulfstream Aerospace in Savannah GA.

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

Retired Senior Legal Strategist for American Honda Motor Co, Motorcycle Division.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Retired as Asst. Deputy Manager at Denver International Airport.  Moved from Stapleton to the new airport.  Many oversight roles including contracting, airport website, materials managment, risk management, fuel farm, and other hats.  Exciting times opening a new airport. :dance:

Oh wow! You must be popular in the typical dinners with friends, must have some stories to tell, hehe

lol!  Yes, I get lots of questions!  I've done so many over the years, they all just kind of blur together now...especially with age!!  :) 

There are a lot of cool jobs out there!  A few I envy myself!  :D

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I'm a Market Sales Manager for RadioShack. Now General Wireless. Working my way up to the airlines now at IFR. Beginning my commercial soon.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Production Supervisor and Aviation Maintenance Manager on US Army helicopters. Ran the Center of Excellence for the OH-58D Kiowa until they decided they were going to retire them. Now I am back to UH-60 A/L/M Blackhawks (my baby and what I crewed while I was in the service) and run multiple programs involving them currently.

Retired as Asst. Deputy Manager at Denver International Airport.  Moved from Stapleton to the new airport.  Many oversight roles including contracting, airport website, materials managment, risk management, fuel farm, and other hats.  Exciting times opening a new airport. :dance:

Great achievement! A considerable number of cities have considered such a challenge. Few have had the what. courage, to actually make the attempt! Have I missed any if I can only refer to Kansas City way back in the late 1960's?  Talking USA and breaking ground from farmland for new airport for a major metropolitan city.  Perhaps in the interim was Cincinnati KCVG. Do not believe KPIT was new from the ground up.  Not sure of the history of KDFW. Sure this will draw out more here than I recall. KATL? Was there a  separately located predecessor? 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

What a great thread! It's SO interesting to see the names that I've seen on AVSIM (some for years and years) talking about what they do, or did if they are now retired, in real life. Wow! Quite a lot of variation, and some really interesting people!

So ... here's what I do.

I'm the Associate Dean of the Faculty of Science and Horticulture at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, a public teaching university in the suburbs of Vancouver, Canada. For those of you unfamiliar with the academy and its titles, the job I do is kinda similar to what a Vice-Principal does in a high school. By the way, it's pretty easy to find me through Google, and in British Columbia, all public servant (yeah, I'm one of those) salaries over a certain threshold are published for all to see, so I'm not too worried about divulging information. Much of what I've written below can be found elsewhere--e.g., LinkedIn.

Anyway, I have a Bachelor's degree and a Master's, and I'm also in a Doctor of Education program (Ed.D) at Simon Fraser University. I finished my coursework last year and am presently completing my comprehensive exams, which are due on March 31. I have to write two papers, a lit review and a conceptual piece, each at minimum 25 pages long not including references. I should be finished my second paper by the end of next week, and then I'll submit both the lit review and the conceptual piece for marking. Assuming I pass (I'm pretty sure that I will), I'll be a doctoral candidate some time in April and will get started soon after on the proposal for my dissertation, which I hope to complete by 2018 or 2019.

Since I'm spending upwards of two hours per evening doing some in-depth academic writing after anywhere from a 9 or 10 hour stressful workday, I haven't done a great deal of flight simming lately, unfortunately. When I do flight sim, I tend to take the Razbam Metroliner III for a spin: a nice, easy to set up aircraft that flies on many short (1.5 hrs or less) routes--which is all I have time for every now and then.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but I see so many engineers and people in the aero business here that I just will in the hope that somebody qualified to answer me does so:

What do you guys think of Cranfield's MSc in Aircraft Design? Will it help me land a good engineer's job in an aircraft manufacturer? I'm just considering doing it after finishing my MSc in Aeronautical Engineering and would like to gather opinions on it.

Sorry if it's offtopic.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Vic,

When I saw the "PATCO" I thought you might be an ex-controller.

I always enjoyed the PATCO controllers on my jump seat when they were doing FAM trips.

blaustern

Thank you Wilhelm. That strike was a horrible time for all of us. I would go back to Viet Nam  before I would live through that again. Any way, thanks for the FAM trips!

Vic green

Product Engineer for an automotive component manufacturer. A lot of contact with Japan, Italy and Brazil...

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Retired as Asst. Deputy Manager at Denver International Airport.

Tell us about the bunker! :o

Writer and corporate communications adviser.  I help tech, medical and professionals services firms (consulting, accounting) explain what they do and talk to their customers in plain language... try to keep large and small companies and senior execs from talking themselves into trouble... and help bail them out if they get into trouble on their own.  Used to be a partner in a big a global PR firm - ran the technology practice and designed communications campaigns (helped develop the IBM e-Business campaign in the mid-90s).  Now a solo practitioner - I get to pick my spots and enjoy life more.  

Do some photography, too, and occasionally some blogging.

Oh... and I fly a desk...  :cool:

• Upvote 1