Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

What's your day job?

Hmm my day job?  I work as a professional slacker.  It requires great discipline, many bags of chips, a large variety of soda drinks, and a hard bum for long hours of sitting.

On the side, I work as a King Air 200 and Beech 1900D pilot I guess :P.  The skills above transfer over.   :Pig: 

• Upvote 1

evaamo, on 19 Mar 2016 - 03:11 AM, said:

Ethical Hacker / Pentester. Also review and fix other people's insecure source code ;-)

Past life as a defense contractor: involved in projects for naval wargames/simulation, command & control software, unmanned systems (fixed-wing) sensors & autopilot programming.

I've been a flightsimmer since the Apple II, Sublogic and Compuserve's FSFORUM era. Spend the little free time I have these days flying Aerowinx's PSX.

cheers to all! Great reading all these posts.

-E

My work is pretty much the same IT security, pentest, iso27001 compliance, with a twist of networking and telecom.

My first flight simulator was Chuck Yeagers AFS on Amstrad CPC6128.

I also spent a loooot of my teenager time on F19 Stealth Fighter on Atari ST.

Got literally crazy with Apache running on a 486 computer with this new Voxel-spacing rendering technique.

Tried FS5.1 in 1995 but wasn't really into it back at that time.

Got the virus with FS2002.

Started an A320 home cockpit around 2004 but eventually cancelled the project. I still have some Nova parts from Flightdecksolutions somewhere in the attic, alongside with photon boards, and that once expensive custom-made pushpull rotary encoders !

I'm an architectural technician.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

What an awesome thread!  I'll keep it going with my story...

I do on-site security assessments mainly for large multinationals' office complexes and towers, but occasionally single-suite sites like doctor's offices or accounting firms.  This is physical security here, not IT!  Basically I break into office buildings for a living.  Training consisted of many years of practice as a juvenile (and not-so-juvenile) delinquent ;) 

It may sound like "cloak-and-dagger" stuff, but human factors are by far the weakest link.  Be charming, act like you have a purpose, and you can pretty much walk in anywhere you want.  Social engineering opens far more doors than lockpicks.  My favorite tactic is to greet the CEO by waiting in his office with a hot cup of coffee and the morning paper.  When they ask how I did it, I refrain from naming names and shaming, since I don't want to get anyone fired!  A lot of places do have lousy physical security and it's easy to correct that.  The technology is easy to setup.  The difficult part is instilling a security culture and getting people to actively look around and question anything or anyone that's out of the ordinary.  My team helps train the security staff as well as the employees.  I get to meet a lot of interesting people, it's really fun!

This work takes me all around the world, in fact there are just a few months a year that I can actually spend flight simming.  But at least I get to see a lot of airports and take a lot of flights!

• Upvote 1

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Retired military. I have been flight simming since working on the F-4E and F-111D simulators in the Air Force. Also made people glow in the dark managing a diagnostic radiology department. Finally worked as a aircraft dispatcher. 

Terry

• Upvote 1

Forestry engineer, working as a Ranger for Croatian Forestry Service.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I,m a Sr manager at a ski resort in Lake Tahoe Ca. This is a great thread it's cool to see what all us simmers do to pay for our hobby..

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png

I'm retired after managing avionics shops.  I have a private pilot's license.  In the past I had worked in many fields, Real Estate, Power utility, semiconductor industry, deputy sheriff once upon a time and on ... :smile:   Oh, and six years in the USMC.  Obviously, I ain't that young any more.   :P 

Bill

• Upvote 1

Bill  N7IBG     

I run my own training company where I teach people how to create special effects, edit video, audio, images, code websites and so on, usually on things such as After Effects, Final Cut, Premiere, Photoshop etc. I also produce a bit of that stuff too and have links to other training companies which I do work for:

Here's a pic of me doing that at the BBC in Manchester a couple months back, where I was running training sessions for London-based training company, Soho Editors:

http://creativetrainingandproduction.co.uk/news.html

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Recently retired from Lockheed Martin after 35 years in the aircraft sustainment business.  For much of my career I managed the Customer Training business area where we developed and delivered world class training systems (including training facilities, Level-D full flight simulators, maintenance training devices and courseware) for all of our C-130 Hercules customers, both domestic and international.  Was an amazing career.

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64