Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Went Client only 3.2, getting this....

Followed the instructions in Elaine's sticky for a Client Only update.

1. Rebooted after uninstall 3.1 client.
  2. disabled antivirus
  3. installed client
  4. ran V3.2....opened and re-registered, no issues.
  5. Open the app, no planes in vehicle window...its just black window where they should display, cursor spinning. app dead.
  6. exited, rebooted...NOW....desktop icon nor the .exe in the folder run the app...just see it blip in task manager, then gone.  Running as administrator. 
  7. Rebooted, rinse/lather/repeat.  Refuses to open...no errors.

Thoughts and or suggestions?

Interesting....

In doing my own additional troubleshooting, I took out some questionable .dlls iin the dll.xml file...no effect.

Then renamed prepar3d.cfg to .old to let it rebuild it.

It did create a new one...but its a zero byte file with nothing in it...like it never got to the point where it could recreate one....

The plot thickens, and moving closer to a total wipe and reinstall (the very last option though)

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Next steps:

• Deleted shader cache, no change
  • Did a content and scenery install (with proper reboots)...no change
  • Banged head against desk, and while it made me feel better, it didn't help my "click P3d icon...hourglass for 7 secs, P3d.exe blips on task manager, then poof..nothing"

Almost ready for total uninstall/reinstall....but fearful its an external issue that is causing it and going through that will not resolve the issue.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

try deleting the prepar3d.cfg file and letting it rebuild.

Locate the dll.xml file and disable all entries - add them back one by one

see if that helps. Also locate the default.fxml file and delete it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

try deleting the prepar3d.cfg file and letting it rebuild.

Locate the dll.xml file and disable all entries - add them back one by one

see if that helps. Also locate the default.fxml file and delete it.

Vic

Hey Vic,

Tried deleting the prepard3d.cfg, it creates a zero-byte prepard3d.cfg file in its place, and doesnt open the app.  So I took the original one I had and restored it.

Did the .dll tango....deleted suspect entries, nope, then all entries, same, then delete whole file....recreated one on startup...no joy.

Could not locate either a default.fxml or default.xml file....any hints to where it may be hiding?

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Could not locate either a default.fxml or default.xml file....any hints to where it may be hiding?

There located at the same spot as your Shaders folder 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3 

There located at the same spot as your Shaders folder 

► Computer ► Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► your user name ► AppData ► Local ► Lockheed Martin ► PreparD v3 

Got it...renamed...it did create a new one...but still no joy.  :sad:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Missed that you already tried that Steve.

Sounds to me like the install got munged somehow. You could try a repair install or you might uninstall and reinstall the client.

Getting any error messages in the event viewer?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Did the .dll tango....deleted suspect entries, nope, then all entries, same, then delete whole file....recreated one on startup...no joy.

The dll.xml does not get rebuilt if you delete it or rebuild it.  The o byte P3d.cfg is probably the one that is built when you have an error in P3D.  If P3D does not start up to the startup screen, 99.9% chance it's the dll.xml as all of the modules in this file have to be loaded.  There are several in the dll.xml you had installed for v3.1 that are not compatible with 3.2.  FSDT replaced their module, the Orbx/FTX module does not work, and the ASN modules do not work.  So, that will stop P3D from loading.  Move your dll.xml and exe.xml to a temporary folder and restart P3D (if you still have the .xml files as you indicated you deleted them above but then they were rebuilt which is not possible.  Only the P3D.cfg and scenery.cfg can be rebuilt.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ugh....the "marked as resolved" deletes the text you were typing when you hit it.

Anyway.....

Looked in the event viewer Vic....It was the file FSLPreloader.dll that was causing the issue.

Yep I have (had) FSL lights installed.  Uninstalled....works perfectly now!

Jim I misspoke.  I renamed the dll.xml file in addition to removing entries in the file itself one at a time to see if I could find the culprit.  When it didn't work I whacked my working file and pulled the re-named dll.xml file back in.

Heading of the FSL's site now to make sure they know about it in case other customers are pulling their hair out as well.  :smile:

Thanks for pitching in guys (and gal) with the suggestions...even with 30 years of troubleshooting experience, you will never see every nuance of an issue that you'll never figure out without some other heads to bang against yours. :im Not Worthy: 

I've never had to go to the event log in the past (believe it or not) as I've been pretty lucky in the past to not have many issues with upgrades, installs, etc. 

Hehe, 2nd topic down in the FSL Spotlights forum...same issue, same resolution.

Lefteris suggested the new version just released today....will try it and let both this and their forum know.

Thanks again folks!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg