Sign in to follow this  
sarp_79

AI Traffic TimeTable

Hey simmers !

One thing I have always desired to see in FS2004 has been the idea of a tool that converts any traffic bgl file into a UltimateTraffic like timetable in pdf, of course not the whole thing at a time but with options in terms of airport departures, arrivals, and airlines through call sign cached within aircraft.cfg files.

I've so far come across ACA2005 only that at least gives out a timetable like file in html format for departures and arrivals of an airport of interest. But it looks rather bulky and like much of a list than a neat table.

I guess all we need to do is write a routine as we already have all the data stored within traffic bgl, together with some airports and airlines databases maintained within the exe folder of my dreams.

Just an idea ! Maybe one talented FS simmer could write such an exe code one day.

Thanks !

I still use Ultimate Traffic as my flightplan installer. I have none of the original AI aircraft left in my sim having replaced them years ago with more up to date AI models and textures. I have also disabled all the original large airline flightplans and use the "import" function to add the latest plans to my sim. When I update them I use the import function to remove and then replace the flightplans.

This enables me to produce a timetable in pdf format for any airline or airport (although the airport ones will still display all the original flights that UT shipped with too).

One thing you could do if you still have a UT CD or download product is to install it to a dummy FS9 folder. Then decompile your real sim traffic files with TTools and use those three .txt files to import a new airline into your dummy UT instalation. No need to compile in UT. Then you can create a pdf timetable from UT. Obviously this would only be of value for airline timetables, not airports (if you create an airport timetable it would use the original UT timetables plus any imported flights from that airport).

One issue you may have is that airport codes have changed. But you can add new airports to UT during the import function.

Peter Schluter

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

When it comes to my AI management of FS2004, my situation is quite the same as yours, Peter. Maybe it's UT that made me an AI Traffic freak. I also have already replaced almost all major FT aircraft on UT interface with fairly fancier and more up-to-date liveries basically drawn from WoAI readily compiled packages. Furthermore, I still continue adding some new airlines or those that UT ever lacked by use of import feature. Still, I thought there might be a better and more handy tool that is able to create a yet fancier and editable timetable report.

UT uses its own internal flightplan database based on airport IATA codes. During the compile process these are converted to a traffic.bgl based on ICAO airport codes. Although you can add and remove your own new airlines through the import function you cannot remove the original plans that the program is installed with (although you can of course prevent any aircraft from flying them).

Because UT doesn't get its timetable data directly from the traffic.bgl it cannot "interrogate" it as such.

One problem with any program that will timetable directly from the traffic .bgl is that all times will be gmt with no way to adjust for local time.

Peter Schluter

Today I have made use of the ACA2005 timetable feature, that outputs an html database. I've then converted it first into excel to modify some of the data as day, time, aircraft type.

Next, I've exported it all into access to work a report, even added a "save as pdf" button to my report and finally managed to save departures for LTBA as a single pdf file, in the format I like.

However, the process is too lengthy for a single airport departure report. I desperately need an automated procedure for most of the time-consuming tasks, such as converting the day, time and aircraft type data into some meaningful strings. But still it's better than nothing. Here I am sharing a snapshot of what my pdf looks on its very first page :

PS: ACA2005 timetable utility directly uses all the needed data from Traffic.bgl, as opposed to UT working with its own database and apf files that we add on. It also has got a local time option that can be chosen prior to outputting any departures or arrivals report for as long as the time zone of the airport of interest is accurately known.

df_LTBA.png

It is pretty to look at, but I am curious as to what your aim is.

ACA2005 is one of my favourite utilities, and produces exactly what I need to know in my sim. 

00hyYX.jpg

By clicking the headers you can sort on time, airline, whatever. 

I can't think of any other requirement.

ACA2005 is already what I use as my database, if you have ever happened to read my posts above.

What I actually aim to do is convert this data into a booklet like timetable for any airport and/or airline in pdf format.

I have managed to do so by transfering the html database into Access and output a report, and finally saved it as pdf, as shown in the screenshot I have shared above.

However, this process is much of a strenuous work to do for each airport of interest.

I kinda ought to accelerate the whole procedure by creating a routine, in my humble opinion.

if you have ever happened to read my posts above.
Well yes... but you haven't answered the question, if you have ever happened to read the question.  :wink:

Always on the lookout for interesting things to do with flight simulator, this one struck me as absolutely pointless. I hoped you would correct me.

I guess it's obvious that I've already answered your question as to what my aim is here in my post above :

What I actually aim to do is convert this data into a booklet like timetable for any airport and/or airline in pdf format.

However, you are quite within your right to find it pointless, whereas it's still quite meaningful to me.

Each to his own, and no offence intended.

I hope you enjoy your booklet like timetable.