Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Sorry, couldn't wait: how would P3D display on 3440x1440 resolution display?

Anyone who's used 3440x1440 if they could comment on how P3D looks w/ this aspect ratio.   Is there panel distortion, or problems?  I'm used to 16:10, 1920x1200 24" Dell and slightly intrigued by Samsung's 34" WQHD curved display.

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-11%20at%2010.07.

Thanks--posted on the hardware section as well.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I have been using a 3440x1440 for years and I found it to be quite an enjoyable experience. You will have to play with zoom levels but once you get it all setup, it's a joy to use!

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I got mine last June and really like it.  I have the Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor I purchased for $880. I would not pay much more than that if I were you!

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've got the LG curved display. Picked it up for $600. It's great! No distortion, but better viewing angles. Like the poster above said, just have to play with the zoom and you'll be all good. I personally turn off "wide view aspect ratio" as it looks a little weird. But all in all, I am very pleased with this monitor. 

Thanks all, it sounds like all are happy, but still wonder, does this aspect ratio distort panel gauges, round ones for example become flattened?  Great price on the LG!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I run something a little different...3 qnix 32" monitors at 2560x1440x3. I just stretch the p3d window to cover all 3 monitors (7680x1440). Works great. I do not use wideaspectratio, because, yes it distorts anything to the side of center. I use ezdok to adjust zoom, and it looks just like in my avatar...

I feel great with my DELL U3415W. Here are two videos to show how a 21/9 ratio performed in full screen front view and in cockpit virtuel with "Wide aspect ratio" set to ON.

Should I mention that there are no distortion ?

Here are as well two screenshots with "Wide Aspect Ratio" set to ON (first screen) and OFF and default zoom (0.7).

25447451790_814896bebd_o_d.jpg

25722137556_b97caeca43_o_d.jpg

My hardware and software configuration : http://20-100-video.blogspot.fr/p/january-update-is-8-go-of-more-ram-for.html

• Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

still wonder, does this aspect ratio distort panel gauges, round ones for example become flattened?

No. Gauges in the middle are always perfectly round regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

However, gauges (and other things) naturally become distorted the further you move away from the centre. When the field of view being displayed is modest (say, 90 degrees or less) it is barely noticeable. If you tell P3D to generate a wider field of view (by zooming out) the distortion increases.

If P3D is displaying a field of view in the virtual world that approximates the actual field of view your monitor takes up, things will be roughly life-sized and distortion will be minimal. With a 21:9 display you may find this is inconvenient unless you use a head tracker, since the vertical field of view will be too narrow to show all the instrument panel and the forward view without panning up and down. This means you will probably want to zoom out a bit more, which will increase the peripheral distortion (and make it harder to judge distances and speeds). However, 21:9 (roughly 2:1) is a good compromise over an ultra-wide (multi-monitor) display, which can have an aspect ratio of over 5:1.

WideViewAspect makes no difference to how the display is generated, only to the zoom numbers. You can always get the exactly same display with WideViewAspect=True as you can with WideViewAspect=False. (But not vice-versa because of the 0.3x zoom limit.)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

No. Gauges in the middle are always perfectly round regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

True for 3D Virtual Cockpits, but there will be distortion if using 2D panels.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Just for me to dream, more informed... :-)

What kind of graphics boards is the minimum required to support such resolutions ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

True for 3D Virtual Cockpits, but there will be distortion if using 2D panels.

This is a different issue. Unfortunately an aircraft's panel.cfg file specifies the position and size of 2D panels as a fraction of the screen width and height. This means that for any given aircraft the sizes presume a particular screen aspect ratio and (of course) the panels will appear stretched or squashed on a different screen.

So you just resize the panel. Or change the entries in panel.cfg. The best practical way is to save a flight with the windows sized correctly and they will load correctly when you load the flight.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I feel great with my DELL U3415W. Here are two videos to show how a 21/9 ratio performed in full screen front view and in cockpit virtuel with "Wide aspect ratio" set to ON.

My goodness Vincent that is so nice of you to supply those videos--answers all questions about how the image displays--very lovely :o)

I wonder if I need additional video card.  I know I have plenty of GDDR but not sure how much this impact my CPU's workload at processing stuff on the way to the GPU.  It would be essentially 2x the pixel density of what I am seeing now.   

Comments on what to expect as far as reduced total performance (frame rate & texture update rate)?  I'm on a 3930K@4.43Ghz w/ 1x GTX Titan.

Thank Vincent!

• Upvote 1

Noel

However, gauges (and other things) naturally become distorted the further you move away from the centre. When the field of view being displayed is modest (say, 90 degrees or less) it is barely noticeable. If you tell P3D to generate a wider field of view (by zooming out) the distortion increases.

If P3D is displaying a field of view in the virtual world that approximates the actual field of view your monitor takes up, things will be roughly life-sized and distortion will be minimal. With a 21:9 display you may find this is inconvenient unless you use a head tracker, since the vertical field of view will be too narrow to show all the instrument panel and the forward view without panning up and down. This means you will probably want to zoom out a bit more, which will increase the peripheral distortion (and make it harder to judge distances and speeds). However, 21:9 (roughly 2:1) is a good compromise over an ultra-wide (multi-monitor) display, which can have an aspect ratio of over 5:1.

WideViewAspect makes no difference to how the display is generated, only to the zoom numbers. You can always get the exactly same display with WideViewAspect=True as you can with WideViewAspect=False. (But not vice-versa because of the 0.3x zoom limit.)

Much obliged thank you kindly

Noel

I wonder if I need additional video card.  I know I have plenty of GDDR but not sure how much this impact my CPU's workload at processing stuff on the way to the GPU.  It would be essentially 2x the pixel density of what I am seeing now.   

Comments on what to expect as far as reduced total performance (frame rate & texture update rate)?  I'm on a 3930K@4.43Ghz w/ 1x GTX Titan.

I let pro answer that question. I came from 1680x1050 and went to 3440x1440. When I change my monitor was also the moment of new nVidia drivers which support more efficently SLI config (I have 2 x GTX770). So it's hard to really measure the impact of passing from 16/9 1680x1050 to 21/9 3440x1440. What was strange was that I didn't need anymore SGSS antialiasing to reduce the shimmering on my GA gauges (A2A, Carenado and Alabeo). Switching to a new monitor made me get rid off nvidia inspector and its SGSS set.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

I got mine last June and really like it.  I have the Dell UltraSharp U3415W 34-Inch Curved LED-Lit Monitor I purchased for $880. I would not pay much more than that if I were you!

Best regards,

Got this same one about a month ago. $699 at Newegg, but price matched it at Best Buy for personal reasons. It's awesome!