Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Sorry, couldn't wait: how would P3D display on 3440x1440 resolution display?

Got this same one about a month ago. $699 at Newegg, but price matched it at Best Buy for personal reasons. It's awesome!

Wow great price and nowhere to be had currently.  It's sounding really good but I'd still like to know what kind of performance I might be giving up in doubling pixel density.  I have to think there will be some real impact and it's important to know how much as I'm slightly on the edge w/ my preferred planes & scenery.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I've got the LG curved display. Picked it up for $600. It's great! No distortion, but better viewing angles. Like the poster above said, just have to play with the zoom and you'll be all good. I personally turn off "wide view aspect ratio" as it looks a little weird. But all in all, I am very pleased with this monitor. 

hey, 

recently purchased mine (LG 34uc87 ), there are times where i just sit stare and admire the beaut !! 

But i would like to know how you play around with zoom ,as in what zoom settings to use etc in P3D. could you please elaborate on that .

kind regards, 

jaff

No. Gauges in the middle are always perfectly round regardless of the screen's aspect ratio.

However, gauges (and other things) naturally become distorted the further you move away from the centre. When the field of view being displayed is modest (say, 90 degrees or less) it is barely noticeable. If you tell P3D to generate a wider field of view (by zooming out) the distortion increases.

If P3D is displaying a field of view in the virtual world that approximates the actual field of view your monitor takes up, things will be roughly life-sized and distortion will be minimal. With a 21:9 display you may find this is inconvenient unless you use a head tracker, since the vertical field of view will be too narrow to show all the instrument panel and the forward view without panning up and down. This means you will probably want to zoom out a bit more, which will increase the peripheral distortion (and make it harder to judge distances and speeds). However, 21:9 (roughly 2:1) is a good compromise over an ultra-wide (multi-monitor) display, which can have an aspect ratio of over 5:1.

WideViewAspect makes no difference to how the display is generated, only to the zoom numbers. You can always get the exactly same display with WideViewAspect=True as you can with WideViewAspect=False. (But not vice-versa because of the 0.3x zoom limit.)

hey mark,

thanks for the detailed explanation, sooo in short how do i adjust the zoom level to reduce the 'sides ' distortion on a 21:9 panel ? like should the value go up or down or how does one calculate ?

kind regards,

jaff 

like should the value go up or down

Basically, if you have WideViewAspect ON the view will look exactly as it does now but with more visible at the sides. Depending on what zoom factor you are used to, this will or will not show noticeable distortion at the edges. If you have WideViewAspect OFF, you will need to zoom out (decrease) to get the same effect. You may not be able to zoom out far enough as you are limited to 0.3.

Converting zoom factors

There is no reason not to use WideViewAspect other than what is set for the default zoom factor (set in cameras.cfg). The effect of a given zoom factor is different according to the setting of this flag. To convert between them:

Zw = Z * width  / height

or

Z = Zw * height / width

sooo in short how do i adjust the zoom level to reduce the 'sides ' distortion on a 21:9 panel ? ...how does one calculate ?

Like I said, there is certain compromise inherent with using an unnaturally wide aspect ratio. But to get an approximately life-sized view, read on...

In short

WideViewAspect=True

zoom=1.0

viewing distance = physical screen height / 0.6

Or the longer version

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(height / (2 * distance)))

That formula assumes WideViewAspect is ON. 34 is the vertical field of view, which remains constant (that's what WideViewAspect does). If you have WideViewAspect OFF, the formula is the same but 34 is the horizontal FOV:

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(width / (2 * distance)))

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Basically, if you have WideViewAspect ON the view will look exactly as it does now but with more visible at the sides. Depending on what zoom factor you are used to, this will or will not show noticeable distortion at the edges. If you have WideViewAspect OFF, you will need to zoom out (decrease) to get the same effect. You may not be able to zoom out far enough as you are limited to 0.3.

Converting zoom factors

There is no reason not to use WideViewAspect other than what is set for the default zoom factor (set in cameras.cfg). The effect of a given zoom factor is different according to the setting of this flag. To convert between them:

Zw = Z * width  / height

or

Z = Zw * height / width

Like I said, there is certain compromise inherent with using an unnaturally wide aspect ratio. But to get an approximately life-sized view, read on...

In short

WideViewAspect=True

zoom=1.0

viewing distance = physical screen height / 0.6

Or the longer version

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(height / (2 * distance)))

That formula assumes WideViewAspect is ON. 34 is the vertical field of view, which remains constant (that's what WideViewAspect does). If you have WideViewAspect OFF, the formula is the same but 34 is the horizontal FOV:

zoom = 34 / (2 * atan(width / (2 * distance)))

Thanks a ton mark for the vivid/mathematical explanation !  will try this out !

Any recommendations for 4k monitors that are able to provide stable both 30 Hz and 60 Hz?

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Any recommendations for 4k monitors that are able to provide stable both 30 Hz and 60 Hz?

Dell 3415w that was mention here, which by the way is my monitor :) You can do 30hz via HDMI and 60hz via HDMI or Displayport. Very nice monitor!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Wow great price and nowhere to be had currently. It's sounding really good but I'd still like to know what kind of performance I might be giving up in doubling pixel density. I have to think there will be some real impact and it's important to know how much as I'm slightly on the edge w/ my preferred planes & scenery.

Can't help you there. Along with the monitor purchase I sold my 2 x R9 290s and purchased a GeForce 980 TI.. :). Your best bet is to google for your card model and benchmarks.

I was also looking for a 4k and the concensus was it was not worth it, unless you want to invest in a serious SLI setup (~$1200-$1400 for the cards) as there is no single card currently that can drive a 4k display as you'd like. That's why I opted for the 34" "3k" monitor.

Dell 3415w that was mention here, which by the way is my monitor :) You can do 30hz via HDMI and 60hz via HDMI or Displayport. Very nice monitor!

It is an awesome monitor (mine! :D) but he asked for a 4K one...

It is an awesome monitor (mine! :D) but he asked for a 4K one...

ups you are right, but its almost :)

How is the performance with a gtx 980 ti? Im thinking of buying one to replace my gtx 970

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations here. I am considering getting one of these Dell 3415W monitors myself. However, cost would not allow me to upgrade my GPU at the same time. I currently have a GTX 980 (no fancy TI or anything, just the standard 980 with 4GB VRAM, I think). Do you think that would be enough to power one of these beauties? I currently run a 1080 monitor and use SGSS.

Stuart Furley

Hi guys, thanks for the recommendations here. I am considering getting one of these Dell 3415W monitors myself. However, cost would not allow me to upgrade my GPU at the same time. I currently have a GTX 980 (no fancy TI or anything, just the standard 980 with 4GB VRAM, I think). Do you think that would be enough to power one of these beauties? I currently run a 1080 monitor and use SGSS.

Just my personnal experience. Before my DELL U3415W, I had a regular/old 16/9 DELL 1600 x 1050. With this 16/9 display, it was mandatory - for my personal taste - to activate the fps-killer-in-cloud SGSS. I mainly use GA Aircraft (Carenado/Alabeo/A2A) and gauge in VC were shimmering a lot.

Believe me or not, but after pluging my 21/9 U3415W and updating GeForce drivers, it wasn't that much mandatory and since few months I didn't feel the need to activate SGSS (via NVI) anymore. This frees some GPU power to manage the resolution growth from 1600x1050 to 3440x1440.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Thank you Vincent. That is what I was hoping for - that the removal of SGSS would free the resources needed to run the higher resolution. Those videos do show how much more immersive it looks too! Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and get this ordered pretty soon.

Thanks,

Stu.

Stuart Furley

Just my personnal experience. Before my DELL U3415W, I had a regular/old 16/9 DELL 1600 x 1050. With this 16/9 display, it was mandatory - for my personal taste - to activate the fps-killer-in-cloud SGSS. I mainly use GA Aircraft (Carenado/Alabeo/A2A) and gauge in VC were shimmering a lot.

Believe me or not, but after pluging my 21/9 U3415W and updating GeForce drivers, it wasn't that much mandatory and since few months I didn't feel the need to activate SGSS (via NVI) anymore. This frees some GPU power to manage the resolution growth from 1600x1050 to 3440x1440.

I run my LG 34'' Curved 3440X1440, up to now I have been using 2x SGSS with my 980Ti. I am curious to your settings, and why u made the changes, what changes did you make, and why you did away with NVI. I may like to follow your setup.

This topic is getting a lot of attention because it is posted in the wrong forum.  Time to move it on to the proper Hardware Forum.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It's way too early for me to make a full evaluation since the 3415W arrived yesterday and I had a chance to run it thru its paces.  My initial impression is that while the ultra wide screen is a definite plus I find indeed w/ my GTX Titan I am effectively unable to run any SGSS, whereas w/ my 1920x1200 screen I could run SGSS4X just about anywhere and image quality is definitely superior w/ SGSS4X on that screen than the 3440x1440 w/o SGSS.   My basic use got P3D is to use planes like RA Legacy and RA T Duke in FTX Regional sceneries and very very nice to be able to use these planes in these sceneries with SGSS4X.   I use GPU-z and can see now in an FTX region the GPU is pegged at 99% utilization, and in general, this equates to poor video fluidity overall.  I was marveling at how well 3.2 runs now, even in cloudy weather no problem running SGSS4X still have a little headroom as far as GPU utilization goes.  No so now.   The other strategy I follow is to use the PMDG tubes in FTX Global only, and use SGSS4x there and no problems--this will not work w/ the 3415W and my GTX Titan.   I definitely do not want to go SLI just to see SGSS4X it would mean finding a used Titan AND getting a new PSU--no thanks.

The other issue I failed to consider was that I will also use my machine to reboot to a different drive where I have a few games loaded, FarCry4, some of the COD series, and these games do not run at 3440x1440 so you have to run non-native and that's a loss of image quality for sure.    90% of my use of the machine is for P3D however.

The jury therefore is still out for me, but I'm definitely leaning towards returning the 3415W.  I will play with it more today and see what gives.  The ultra wide screen has its lure that is not lost on me.

Your 4Gb limit will not be an issue as you never get near that limit, but I don't know how your 980 compares to my now 3y/o Titan.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Hi Noel

Thanks a lot for that detailed review. I haven't taken the plunge yet but I'm finding it difficult to keep 4xSGSS on as well, even using a 1080p monitor. I've removed it now and am using DSR which I'm quite happy with. It isn't as good as using SGSS but I'm getting used to it. But it does sound as though these new monitors will require a lot of power to run them so perhaps my card might not be quite up to the challenge. Think I'll wait a while as I'm ok with running DSR on my smaller monitor and if I do upgrade later, I'll probably get a new GPU, but that will be much further down the line.

Does the image quality look alright on that monitor without using SGSS?

Stuart Furley