Sign in to follow this  
seahawks

Tracking/and or magnetic deviation error.

Hi all,

After installation of a new scenery, I have tracking/and or magnetic deviation error.

All aircrafts are unable to follow the route correctly.

The problem was isolate by deactivation the scenery.

My question, if this error comes from the AFCAD, does anyone know to solve it.

Thank in advance

Dom.

Hi Dom,

I've had this problem before myself but it was a global problem. However, it was not caused by the Afcad file of any airport but by a bad BGL in an addon airport's scenery folder. The only way to at least find which BGL contains the error is the tedious method of trial and error by shutting FS9 down, deleting a group of BGLs to your recycle bin, restarting FS9 and then testing weather or not the problem persists. Restoring one or more BGLs from your recycle bin to their original position can be done by selecting the BGLs concerned and then right clicking on them. Restore is then one of the options.

Then take the next group of BGLs and so on until your problem seems solved. You can then narrow it down until you find the bad BGL itself.

Which airport is it and where did you download it from ? I would like to try it out myself and report back.

Hans

Hi hans,

First of all thanks for your answer,

Short explanation. I programmed a flight from Anchorage (AES airport) to Moscow UUDD (AES) via Yekaterinburg USSS (AES too) But I needed on airport for refuelling before USSS and I chose UHSS Sakhalin to make my stopover.

And I downloaded this scenery seemed simple and well-done from    

https://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-sceneries-44/yuzhno-sakhalinsk-aeroport-khomutovo-uhss-52943.html

Filename= "52943-NEW-UHSS-FS9.zip"

The problem come from this scenery UHSS… 52943-NEW-UHSS-FS9

I will test what you explained me, Thanks

Regards

dom

Hello Don,

I just downloaded the UHSS airport via your link. Will install it tomorrow to see if I can replicate your magnetic deviation problem.

Hans

Hello Dom,

First of all I see that the stock UHSS airport has a magnetic deviation of minus (-)11 degrees according to it's stock Afcad airport reference data. This was correct about 11 years ago when FS9 was first made available and is confirmed by other airports in the approximate area.

However and according to your addon Afcad version, this data is plus (+)11.2 degrees and therefore incorrect.

Because FS9 only uses stock data for e.g. ATC, approaches, vectoring, etc. any addon airport reference data items (header data) should always be exactly the same unless all kinds of other stock data is changed as well.

I would therefore want to suggest that you change the addon magnetic deviation to minus (-)11.0 dgrees, so that at least these header data items are the same. I believe that this should solve your problem.

In the meantime I'm testing as well but with equal Afcad header data items.

Hans

Hello Hans,

Thanks for yours info, and your help.

OK for that, in the first, I'll change the magnetic deviation for this scenery, and test.

I noticed that, we have more chance to have a magnetic deviation problem, by report if a new flight is created.

(Sorry for my English.)

Thanks one more time.

Hello Dom,

I installed UHSS, edited the Afcad magnetic deviation as in my last message and found none of the problems which you originally reported. So, and as far as I'm concerned, you were correct in suspecting that it was the Afcad file which was causing your problems. However, the Afcad file contained many more problems/errors and the airport itself had many untextured buildings/objects including the main terminal. In other words it's quite a mess which I was not prepared to try to clear up. In the end I deleted the whole airport, including it's LC files and World textures.

I suggest you do the same and use another airport for refueling on your long distance flights.

Good luck and happy landings

Hans

Hello hans,

I'm back; I wanted to test all solutions. Many thanks for all.

The fact of changing the magnetic variation does not change anything.

Always by testing the flight from PAFA Fairbanks to UHSS, the flight is impossible.

By disabling UHSS no more problem. That it.

I delete this scenery.

The End and

As you say, I will choose another airport

One of this day

One more thanks  :smile:

Best regards

My solution has worked for several years. Take the mag.dec file from the FS assigned folder. (I think it's Scenery/Generic/Scenery) and put it in a new folder in Addon Scenery. My folder is just called "special" - it doesn't matter what you call it. You must create a scenery folder within your new folder and put the mag.dec file in it. Then add that folder to your addon scenery list and make sure it is always that last folder listed. (If you use AES then it will be just above that as AES must always be the last scenery on the list for it to work) Since I've done that I have never had the problem you are experiencing which is caused by various addon sceneries.... My scenery.cfg file look like this:

[Area.432]

Title=Special

Layer=432

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Local=Addon Scenery\Special

Remote=

Whenever you add any new scenery, just make sure you place it BEFORE that folder and you'll never have to deal with the issue again

Ian

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guys!

You help me to solve two problems! Level D 767 wasn't going to the runway chosen and the track in the PSS's EHSI had 14 degree of deviation from the heading.

Cláudio

My solution has worked for several years. Take the mag.dec file from the FS assigned folder. (I think it's Scenery/Generic/Scenery) and put it in a new folder in Addon Scenery. My folder is just called "special" - it doesn't matter what you call it. You must create a scenery folder within your new folder and put the mag.dec file in it.

You move it or you copy it? In my case, with the iFly birds, I had to copy, because, if not, I'd be getting some weird trackings in the ND.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

In my case Luis I moved it as I wasn't sure having duplicate files would be a good idea. But I've never tested that so go ahead and give it a try. I do know that in at least one of my aircraft, I get a popup when I load it saying it was unable to load the magdec.bgl (Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne).... But I can definitely say that since I started doing this several years ago, I have never had a problem with magnetic deviation with any scenery and I've added hundreds...

Cheers

Ian