Sign in to follow this  
Chris Bell

Anyone seen this mobile contraption

Anyone seen this mobile contraption from MSI?

MSI GT80 6QF GTX980 SLI
64GB of Memory, SLI GTX 980s. No mobile variants here, full on, full fat, monster GTX 980s. with Quad Core Core i7-6920HQ and,

as if that wasn't enough, the whole thing is fed by twin 256GB NVMe storage drives paired up into RAID.

- CPU: Intel Core i7-6920HQ Quad Core (2.9GHz, 8MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Up To 3.8GHz)
- Display: 18.4" (1920x1080 Full HD Resolution, Anti-Glare, Wide Viewing Angle)
- Memory Supplied: 4 x 16GB (64GB)
- Memory Type: DDR4
- Memory Speed: 2133MHz
- Max Memory Support: 64GB
- Graphics Chipset: Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 SLI (DESKTOP)
- Graphics Memory: 8GB GDDR5
- Storage: 2 x 256GB NVMe PCI-e M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
- Keyboard Type: SteelSeries Red backlit mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches
- USB3.0 Ports: 5
- USB3.1 Ports: 1x USB 3.1 Type-C
- HDMI Port(s): 1
- Mini Display port(s): 1
- LAN Port(s): 1
- Microphone Jack(s): 1
- Headphone Jack(s) (SPDIF): 1
- ESS SABRE HiFi Port: 1
- Card Reader: SD (XC/HC)
- Audio: - 4.1 Sound by Dynaudio
- LAN: Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet with Killer Shield
- Wireless LAN - Killer Wireless-AC 1535
- Bluetooth: V4.1
- Webcam: Full HD type (30fps@1080p)
- Dimension: 45.6 x 33 x 4.9 cm
- Weight: 4.5Kg (w/ Battery)

And you spend all this $$$ to stare at 18" screen, yuck!

im shocked by the two GTX fittings they pulled there,

i think the built-in screen is fairly big for a mobile unit! (seems poor around all these specs; not even a native 4k?!)

you can still pull a single external 4k easy with this thing, (i think he mentioned this in the video)

And you spend all this $$$ to stare at 18" screen, yuck!

That's what I don't get.  Some people spend a fortune on everything other than the only cue which gives you any sense that you are 'flying'

• Upvote 1

Remember, other games other than flight sims can run on computers!

Yes I know I'm being facetious! :)

However I completely understand the point of this as I used to have a similar device, actually I still own it but I just can't justify the cost of replacement as I built an overclocked sli desktop monster driving a 50" 4K screen with prepar3d for the same cost as that thing.

Lets face it, it isn't a laptop, it is more a portable computer and that is exactly how I used mine. It is as powerful as a desktop computer so when at home you have it plugged into a large screen and all your flight controls are plugged into a powered use hub along with track ir and anything else you want. I used to travel a lot so I'd un plug it and take that and a joystick and I can then flight sim all week while I'm in a hotel.

Remember, an 18" screen was once considered huge for playing flight sims! Certainly better than nothing and enough to keep me entertained while stuck in a hotel. Then you get home, plug in your usb hub, giant 4K screen and off you go.

I don't need to travel any more so haven't replaced mine but there is certainly a point to these devices for people who can justify the need for flight simming all the time!

Chris

• Upvote 1