Sign in to follow this  
neumanix

Here's how to eliminate cockpit shimmering without SGSS

It's rare to see commercial products these days without mipmapped textures, though.

Not THAT rare. Every single A2A aircraft. If you prefer flying airliners I understand why these may not be on your radar, though.

I haven't encountered any blurry textures yet, but if that starts happening then clearly this should not be done. I guess more testing is needed.

I threw together this little video to show it in action. You need to watch it in fullscreen 1080p.

• Upvote 3

I haven't encountered any blurry textures yet, but if that starts happening then clearly this should not be done. I guess more testing is needed.

After a little contemplation, I may indeed try this, just on the VC textures and test it on my own. Thanks.

I have been wondering for a long time why default airplanes have almost perfectly smooth edges with just 4x MSAA, while some (even reputable) add-on planes show ugly jaggies on their wings even with 8x MSAA. Seems that the answer lies in mip maps...

I threw together this little video to show it in action. You need to watch it in fullscreen 1080p.

SUPER video!

Nice nice work...

If you check the file sizes in textures.common for example, you'll see they are 257KB, 1025KB and 4097KB depending on their size. These numbers however tells you they are NOT mipmapped.

According to this rule then there is alot of airliners which are not mipmapped. Including Aerosoft Airbusses, and the Majestic Q400. Why would reputable devs like these not be using mipmaps?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Not THAT rare. Every single A2A aircraft. If you prefer flying airliners I understand why these may not be on your radar, though.

The reason that some vendors do not use mipmapped textures is that they are operating under the assumption that the pilot is almost always using the VC view and not looking at the outside of one's own aircraft. With panel textures, they assume that no one is going to "zoom in" to look at the detail on the knobs and bezels. They also assume that people are not interested in seeing the aircraft in great detail in the external spot views either, which is probably true. A2A packs all the external textures into one 4096x4096 texture sheet. The interior textures are packed into multiple 1024 and 2048 texture sheets.

Like I said in my original post, why should an aircraft author mipmap the textures if no one is complaining about it?

Turn off AA to make things easier to spot. Then take the A36 VC for example, the chronometer display for example shows off the mipmapping nicely. Turn off mipmap the VC in the display settings and the facia and clock become shimmery.

So these are mimpapped and working well.

But apply some mipmaps around here and there and it seems not to help everywhere. I'm still seeing shimmers on items when I zoom out the magnification. So it seems some objects don't mipmap so well.

This only appears to happen in DX10 FSX and DX11 P3D. FSX DX9 seems unaffected.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Nice , thank you.

According to this rule then there is alot of airliners which are not mipmapped. Including Aerosoft Airbusses, and the Majestic Q400. Why would reputable devs like these not be using mipmaps?

Same with my Alabeo DA-42. I thought it looked nice too. Going to see what happens when I mipmap it.

The reason that some vendors do not use mipmapped textures is that they are operating under the assumption that the pilot is almost always using the VC view and not looking at the outside of one's own aircraft. With panel textures, they assume that no one is going to "zoom in" to look at the detail on the knobs and bezels. They also assume that people are not interested in seeing the aircraft in great detail in the external spot views either, which is probably true. 

I don't presume to know what exactly developers assume of their customers, however, all of what you said is simply not true in my experience with A2A. Like many A2A users, I have many up-close camera presets for all of my panels, switches, screens, etc, as we spend a good amount of time fussing with all of it - before, during, and after every flight. The active repaint community shares a great deal of exterior and interior repaint photos - focused especially on all of the little details. The core users of A2A content expect this level of detail, and A2A delivers that on a regular basis.

Omitting mipmaps is not neglect, or an attempt to circumvent hard work until customers complain. It is a very conscious decision made to ensure that the highest quality textures appear on their models at all times.

• Upvote 1

Did anyone check to see if their VAS is affected by doing this, i distinctively recall Tavers mentioned to me he would not do this to his textures because it chews up VAS??

tpewpb-6.png

Problem is, even if you eleminate cockpit shimmering using mip mapping in Carenado AC, you still have terrible shimmering at certain non-mip mapped airports or landmark objects if not using SGSS.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

is there any other way to mipmap files in batches ?

page 1 of this thread, post # 8, Vic has kindly linked a guide to MM textures and if you scroll down it has an in depth guide on creating batch files..... :smile:

tpewpb-6.png