Sign in to follow this  
neumanix

Here's how to eliminate cockpit shimmering without SGSS

Ok, I edited my previous post #41.

No, those errors aren't suppose to happen. I guess the filenames are intact as you said it loads ok and the shimmering is gone. Really weird. I'll see what I can find.

Don't think it's possible to batch convert with DxtBMP, but with Imagetool it is.

Thank you for your reply!

Of course I've made the backup before proceeding.

I've converted the texture folder files of A2A C172. Before starting the flight, every time I load an A2A C172, this error windows appear for every bmp file opf the texture folder:

Immagine.png

Immagine2.png

However, if I click on 'Ok', the virtual cockpit loads corectly and the shimmering disappears as expected. Are this error windows normal?

Another question...is it possible to create a batch file similar to that one suggested here? http://www.avsim.com/topic/471107-guide-to-mipmapping-and-optimising-textures/

I've created it, but, obviously, it doesn't work with DxtMBP.

Ok. I've tried to use ImageTool. I've noticed that,converting manually each bmp file through 'create mipmaps' option of the menu, the file sizes grow from 3073KB to 4097KB and no error is reported when loading the flight.

Instead, using the batch file for ImageTool or using DxtMBP, the file sizes decrease and the error windows appear loading the flight.

Why?

I haven't used the batch converting in Imagetool enough to answer your question. Guess you'll need to examine the parameters (Imagetool.exe -?) to see what can be done.

Manually converting cockpit textures is no big deal, usually not too many files, so that's what I do.

Good that you got rid of the errors though.

I haven't used the batch converting in Imagetool enough to answer your question. Guess you'll need to examine the parameters (Imagetool.exe -?) to see what can be done.

Manually converting cockpit textures is no big deal, usually not too many files, so that's what I do.

Good that you got rid of the errors though.

Ok.Thank you anyway  :wink: 

Another question...is it necessary to convert every bmp and dds in the texture folder of an aircraft or is it enough to convert the bmp and dds of the cockpit panel and instruments?
I'm asking it because some aircrafts have 20 or more file in the texture folder

You just add mipmaps to those that you think need it, not necessary to do them all.

• Upvote 1

If anyone ever reads this thread..... never use mipmaps for aircraft.

3D gauges wont work anyway..... not even sure dds textures can be either.

Only Ai aircraft and scenery should be mip mapped.... period.