Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Simulation taken to the Next Level [Active Sky Next]

I always knew that the PMDG 777 was a beast of a simulation, but I never really realized how true that fact was until today when, during a final approach I encountered this:

zS0hlne.jpg

Never in my many years of simming has an aircraft actually TOLD ME TO "GO AROUND".

PS: A video of this approach will come shortly

PS2: Startup procedure of the Boeing 777. As the tutorial says, never has an FSX user witnessed such a beauty.

PS3: Yes, I know I'm not the first one to realize this, but still I wanted to show my joy with this milestone in my personal simming career. Just let me be happy for a moment! :D

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Jaime,

I still recall the first time this went off at me during beta testing. This was going in to Zurich and it was moderate turbulence below about 13,000 ft from memory. When it went off, I kinda froze for a stunned second or two before the brain kicked in to gear and I went around!

Since then I've encountered it once again only, but it's a nice - if rarely seen - feature of the PMDG 777.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Where in the world are you.... those VOR idents don't exist in the US and it looks like a nice airport in the middle of nowhere. Flying a VOR approach using LNAV? You have a GNSS overlay approach in use?  You have speed increasing with a tailwind, hard to figure out how the wind shifted.  Finally, you're below mins, you have landing zone assured, speed is safe... I wasn't there but not sure you have a go-around event there.

Dan Downs KCRP

Where in the world are you.... those VOR idents don't exist in the US and it looks like a nice airport in the middle of nowhere. Flying a VOR approach using LNAV? You have a GNSS overlay approach in use?  You have speed increasing with a tailwind, hard to figure out how the wind shifted.  Finally, you're below mins, you have landing zone assured, speed is safe... I wasn't there but not sure you have a go-around event there.

Thought it was a bit weird but didn't question it

Rich Sennett

Guessing at the PFD freq of 110.3 @296, mountains in the background, I'd suggest the airport is ZMUB - Chinggis Khaan International Airport

Hi Dan! You're right, I'm not in the US (the world is a bit bigger than just the US, hehe), it's Jerez in southern Spain, LEJR. I was flying the VOR 02 (plate here).

I was flying the VOR approach manually, but left LNAV mode engaged in case I had to fly the missed approach. I believe it's not bad practice to leave LNAV engaged during a NON-Precision approach as long as one of the pilots is monitoring the raw data, which I was doing.

Regarding the Go-Around, it was definitely required as you will see in the video that is uploading to YouTube right now. In fact, the wind rolled so aggressively that I went from Over-speed to Stall, quite amazing.

Guessing at the PFD freq of 110.3 @296, mountains in the background, I'd suggest the airport is ZMUB - Chinggis Khaan International Airport

LEJR, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain, Europe.

Jaime,

I still recall the first time this went off at me during beta testing. This was going in to Zurich and it was moderate turbulence below about 13,000 ft from memory. When it went off, I kinda froze for a stunned second or two before the brain kicked in to gear and I went around!

Since then I've encountered it once again only, but it's a nice - if rarely seen - feature of the PMDG 777.

That's the thing right? You know you're in a simulator and for a moment you don't really know whether you should "remain in character" or just try to land the thing anyway. 

In that flight of mine I was encountering "red spots" on the ND all the way back from the Cruise phase. I descended with HDG SEL trying to sort them out. In fact by the time I reached the IAF I could clearly see a huge chunk of RED right on top of the airport, and I went for it anyway in my "it's a simulator" mentality.

Of course, sitting in front of a PC we can allow ourselves to test it to the limit and see what happens. Worst thing that could happen is embarrassing ourselves in front of a fellow simmer :D

I'll post a link to the video once it's uploaded!

Jaime Beneyto

Funny at OPLA , at the gate, very bad weather, thunderstorms the lot, I was getting constant windshear alerts, every 30 secs or something. Made me wonder in RL, would pilots take off in them conditions. Windshear is obviously a dangerous phenomenon.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Imran,

If you get a windshear warning on takeoff it's grounds for an abort I believe. I've not yet seen one in the sim but for my job I get to jumpseat on commercial flights regularly, and in the briefing it's stated as being so.

If you listen to the ASN ATIS and it warns of windshear X miles from the airport, all I can say is be ready for the possibility!

Mark

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

As promised, here's the complete flight in video: http://www.avsim.com/topic/485153-tutorial-pmdg-777-flight-vor-approach-windshear/

Here's a direct link to the final approach with windshear and go around: https://youtu.be/4y3-sDYE0ko?t=35m45s

Jaime Beneyto

This is going to sound extremely negative and I can guarantee one person will slam me for this post but hey.

I know there was windshear and all, but that over 20 degree nose up on go around tells me you should not be trying to teach people to fly a 777, even if it is just a flight sim. 

Everyone loves tutorials, especially with complex aircraft such as this and it's great that you're willing to have a go, but I suggest you improve your own flying ability and knowledge of the aircraft (for example, using LNAV on a non-precision approach. RW 777 pilots would probably be using hdg sel at that point. LNAV isn't generally used for turn on to final as it can actually result in the aircraft paralleling the approach, instead of flying centre) before teaching others. That results in bad knowledge and habits being passed around. If you're going to learn, at least do it right.

As I said, I'm not trying to slam you, it's good effort anyway, it's always appreciated especially since it's not every day you see tutorials with that kind of weather.

• Upvote 1

Hi Chris, you're definitely right that I didn't showcase my best flying skills, however in my defense here is a question to you: Have you ever flown through a microburst with Active Sky Next? Did you see how the wind went from 15kt backwind to 40kt headwind and then back to 15kt backwind? I didn't deliberately put the aircraft into overspeed and then into a stall, of course this is a DISASTER (I clearly said so during the video). I didn't deliberately pitch looking for 20º up. In fact the only reason I did upload this video instead of re-recording with clear weather, was showing what Active Sky Next is capable of doing.

The fact that I overrun the runway was also another disaster. Had I landed in any of the airports a 777 usually flies to, I wouldn't have had this problem.

Add to that the confusion I was suffering when I was trying to engage TO/GA. I later checked my hardware and found out that indeed my joystick wasn't correctly mapped to the TO/GA button of the thrust levers. (Funny enough, I did a tutorial a while ago underlining the importance of mapping the TO/GA switch to a joystick button).

Add to that the increased difficulty in trying to FLY and at the same time EXPLAIN what you're doing (on a language that's not your native one). Half your brain is doing the flying and the other half the explaining. Believe me, every time I record a tutorial video I forget things that I don't usually forget (for example, updating the HDG bug). That's why I always add annotations afterwards.

So, to sum up, let's just put this video into perspective. I still believe there's good tips and things to learn in my videos. I invite you to watch the full tutorial (the 4 parts), and if you still don't like them, or still think that I'm doing more harm than good with my videos I also invite you to hit "dislike" on all of them.

Now, concerning the use of LNAV. My understanding has always been that's it's OK to have LNAV engaged on the F/D as long as you monitor RAW DATA and see the plane is actually flying the radial. On top of that, I was manually tracking that radar after disconnecting the A/P, so I was always certain that I was flying the radial needle.

This is what I found on the FCTM of the 777:

xRY6MgL.png

It does say you're not supposed to use LNAV when the A/P is engaged to fly a radial. It doesn't say anything against manually flying the radial and leaving LNAV in the FMA. It tells you to use both the FIX page and the NAV/RAD page of the FMC to do the "map building" and drawing the VOR and relevant radials, just the way I did it. Now, if I'm still mistaken I will consider re-recording this video. Hopefully I'll have clear weather this time.

BTW: You can have a look at my other videos, flying an ILS, touch & goes, flying the 757 etc. You'll see I'm not precisely new in this. I'm not a real pilot either, that's why my videos can't be "perfect". I have however flown real life GA and even a Level-D 747 simulator flawlessly (engine failures and all). The only way they'll ever be perfect would be me becoming rated on the real 777, and even then...

BTW2: I'm not slamming you back either, please :) In fact I appreciate your input so that I could explain myself a bit better.

Jaime Beneyto

Tried it a couple of times during start and approach in Bangkok (VTBS). Really bad weather CBclouds but what a emmersion

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Great posts and videos, Jaime. As for the inputs/criticism ..... seriously guys? If YouTube proffers an official set of qualifications to title a PMDG video "tutorial," well, I'm not aware of anything. Especially when we're 2 1/2 years from release with "1.5 official tutorials" published. Good annotations, corrections, disclaimers, etc. NO video is ever close to perfect - it's a sim. I get your point Chris, and I know your cognizant of this, but that mindset puts this forum on an unknown direction akin to Alice tumbling down the rabbit hole. Forums inherently have the back-n-forths on whatever the topic may be, but the last thing I think anyone wants is to see this one take a direction like Airliners.net. I agree - there are many users out there that have no business "teaching" but I don't think this remotely qualifies.

Jaime, what date / time (z) were you flying? I'd like to boot up ASN historical and see if I can recreate. I've yet to encounter windshear, and I must admit, my manual edit / weather creation in ASN is pretty poor. I wish there was a page to download user-created weather conditions.  

On the topic of tutorials, has anyone given AoA's Flightworks a go for the 777? If so, any verdicts? I've tried to find samples on YouTube or their website, but can't find anything (assuming it's out). I figure the Airline2Sim is at least a year out at this point and there seems to be nothing out there - what am I missing?

• Upvote 1

Finally, you're below mins, you have landing zone assured, speed is safe... I wasn't there but not sure you have a go-around event there.

I could be wrong, but I thought any windshear warning on approach was an automatic go round?

Cheers

Neil Warren