Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Simulation taken to the Next Level [Active Sky Next]

Thanks Kyle for your input! After 30 messages you're the first one who's actually told me how to improve my flying.

I do acknowledge I'm not a pilot, I say it in the beginning of every tutorial, thus my videos won't ever be perfect. I have however landed GA aircraft and gliders in real life, jets in FFS simulators and here I am, still alive. I am also confident about my understanding of instrument approaches and that's the knowledge I intended to pass on.

I will probably re-record this video to have it "cleaned up of noise". Just a clean, textbook VOR approach and landing, with no windshears, go arounds or runway overshoots. I'm perfectly capable of doing that, just had bad luck with the weather and airport of choice this time and re-recording takes A LOT of time.

A note on "BAD LUCK": In real life if an accident occurs I hope the pilots won't say they had "bad luck" like I did here. I basically consciously disregarded meteo, airport, weights and so on because in the sim it still works 99% of the time and I just wanted to get to the VOR approach part quickly. I'm more used to flying the 757, an aircraft that will land pretty much anywhere. Hopping from the 757 to the 777 is a huge difference and I didn't change my "mind set" accordingly until it was too late.

This still TEACHES people a lesson -> If you're reckless about your flying with PMDG+ASN, this is what can happen. Hell, it might even be a marketing selling point! It taught me a lesson, I wasn't prepared for this. That's why I decided to upload.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Aside from all the other 'noise' chiming in here you need to remember some simple 'cadences'

'GO AROUND - FLAP TWENTY' for instance

(prompts me to press the TOGA Switches to get TOGA/TOGA on the FMA) then smoothly & accurately adjust pitch to achieve 2000fpm/15 degrees pitch & select Flaps to 20).

With a positive rate of climb confirmed by two separate instruments get the Landing Gear UP .... UNLESS its a WINDSHEAR GO AROUND/ESCAPE MANOEVURE ... in that instance leave the Landing Gear DOWN - the opening & closing of the Gear Doors will create extra drag .... until you have completed the escape manoeuvre.

Its a lot for a single pilot to remember.

Above 400 feet you can select a ROLL MODE - HDG SEL or LNAV

At aa (Acceleration Altitude) you can select a PITCH MODE - FLCH, V/S or VNAV & then commence the flap retraction sequence & clean up the aircraft to the after take off checklist.

REMEMBER - your brain is 'maxed out' & it is rapidly running out of 1's & 0's ever since you commenced that natty NPA; opt for a level of automation - especially a PITCH MODE commensurate with the amount of brain cells you can devote to it.

A lower level of automation might just be the solution you are looking for to complete the flap retraction sequence & climb to the missed approach altitude.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Thanks Steve for your input! It's really appreciated!

So, in case someone reading this is curious, here's an excerpt from the FCTM on Go Arounds:

[MOD: Don't post copyrighted docs, please :smile: ]

Jaime Beneyto

On the topic of tutorials, has anyone given AoA's Flightworks a go for the 777? If so, any verdicts? I've tried to find samples on YouTube or their website, but can't find anything (assuming it's out). I figure the Airline2Sim is at least a year out at this point and there seems to be nothing out there - what am I missing?

Actually we've just finished the 777 Cadet Program filming with a grizzled (in a good way, you'll see what I mean in good time) United Airlines 777 Captain with 36 years behind the yoke. Well actually he did spend 10 years on the Airbus so technically he was behind the pull out tray!

We'll need about 8 weeks from this point to get the material into the finished article, which currently stands at around 10 hours. I've watched the AoA product and as always Chris and his team have done a great job. The systems videos alone are worth the price of admission. As for our take on it, well we've got the advantage of a few service packs, two and half years of CPU/GPU advancements which helped make the filming smoother, the services of a real 777 pilot for a week and an opportunity to fill in some of the gaps around the other guys' work. So ETOPS, noise abatement, RTOs, flight planning and weather, different take off profiles and a HUGE focus on the FMAs.

Our 777 guy is an instructor these days and his motto is that systems are only important when you can fix them from the flight deck. In fact, many carriers only allow systems depiction to the level of the systems pages inside the actual aircraft. Almost every major airline crash in recent memory has been been caused by the guys in the flight deck not knowing what the aircraft was doing. So expect a lot of 'OK we're about to execute a flitch (UA speak for FL CH) descent to 15,000, what can we expect to see annunciated on the FMA?' If you've reading this and your mind is saying 'IDLE, LNAV, FLCH SPD' then well done, you'd fit in at UA :)

• Upvote 2

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Almost every major airline crash in recent memory has been been caused by the guys in the flight deck not knowing what the aircraft was doing. So expect a lot of 'OK we're about to execute a flitch (UA speak for FL CH) descent to 15,000, what can we expect to see annunciated on the FMA?' If you've reading this and your mind is saying 'IDLE, LNAV, FLCH SPD' then well done, you'd fit in at UA :)

Very interesting indeed! I think you must have the Asiana crash in SFO in mind.

Jaime Beneyto

Very interesting indeed! I think you must have the Asiana crash in SFO in mind.

Asiana at SFO is probably the best (worst?) example of FMA confusion. We have a crack at showing you the Quiet Bridge Visual Arrival, albeit with the ILS as backup to get lined up after the visual turn after the bridge itself.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Be sure to adjust your settings in asn and fsx. In the fsx.cfg file, change the turbulence scale to .5 from 1.0

In the fsx menus, check "disable turbulence"

I'd bring the sliders in asn for turbulence down too, especially wind.

In asn, flying outside of America, check the "prevent cb" option in the clouds menu

It makes flying in real wx much better and in my opinion, more realistic. You still get those great effects but a more controllable airplane. fsx has built in turbulence effects on approach to airports that the checkbox to disable in fsx removes and that makes a BIG difference and any effects you get are due to real terrain and weather from asn directly.

I love rex4 textures, but asn is king of weather.

-David Lee