Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

P3D3.2 - FXAA - MSAA - Texture Filtering Settings At Night

Hi,

I've been playing around with P3D3.2 at night with Night Environment Florida and maybe it's just me or I've been at this way to long. I find that if I set the following in P3D3.2: FXAA=ON / MSAA=OFF / Texture Filtering= Anisotropic 16X and Tessellation=Low... I'm able to run way more stuff at night and have just about no shimmering and I have NOT induce studders... It's actually acceptable for me. I don't run NI.

Not sure what this looks like in the day time haven't done any testing, but this works for me at night. I'll get a video online soon, night flying is really coming around.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,

I've been playing around with P3D3.2 at night with Night Environment Florida and maybe it's just me or I've been at this way to long. I find that if I set the following in P3D3.2: FXAA=ON / MSAA=OFF / Texture Filtering= Anisotropic 16X and Tessellation=Low... I'm able to run way more stuff at night and have just about no shimmering and I have NOT induce studders... It's actually acceptable for me. I don't run NI.

Not sure what this looks like in the day time haven't done any testing, but this works for me at night. I'll get a video online soon, night flying is really coming around.

FXAA is actually a good and cheap form of anti-aliasing. The only problem with it is the blurring it causes which many including myself cannot accept.

Perhaps the slightly blurrieness causes a little bloom effect..

My settings for NE :

- NVI limiter 25 / MFAA On

P3D

Unlimited / VSync On / Triple Buff On / All Autogen Off / LOD low ( 3.5 ) / Tess Off / HDR On 0.30 - 3.0 - 0.80 / Mesh 38 ? Traffic 7 -3 / No road traffic

MSAA 4 / AF 16

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Not sure why, but in FSX most of instrument text and labeling on the panel was readable with the Carenado planes, now for me they are not.

This partly may be due to the amount of AA I need to stop the shimmering. Anyone else? I was able to add the mipmaps with a program offered on one of the threads, and that does help tremendously, but I still need the AA because the shimmering is still strong on the outside world. Maybe a new GTX card? I have a 760 4gig now, but there has been much conversation that say the 970 would probably not help much. I don't really know.

Bob

970 would probably not help much

I have a Titan and the conditions you describe are the same with me, so I'm not sure a new card is going to help.

Mark

I have a Titan and the conditions you describe are the same with me, so I'm not sure a new card is going to help.

Mark

You know unless my memory is bad, which is a possibility, I do not remember the Carenado planes having the problem I am having in P3D.

Thanks Mark, nice to know it's not just me. I think I will wait to see if the dev's do something or may Carenado will add the mipmaps.

Bob

I find I still need NVI. I use 4XSSGS with FXAA off, MSAA at 4 and texture filtering at 16. The visuals are excellent. I have a 980ti. Oddly enough, since I am using default clouds at the moment, there is practically no FPS loss in clouds, methinks LM tweaked that along with other things. Ive set my in game frames at 36, and they pretty much stay there.Yes, I do use ASN. No Vsync and no Triple buffering.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Hi Everyone,

I don't notice the blurry textures at night AND at just about 55 years young that may be part of the issue.  :smile:  With that said, I cannot use these settings in the day time. My night flying is now in the incredible range. I'll have a video online by tonight, going to look at bigger houses today, the sim will be getting it's own bedroom, I hope.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

there is practically no FPS loss in clouds

I stopped using this NI setting because of the cloud hit, even with my setup.

I'll give this another try when I get home tonight and see what's up.

Mark

Hi Everyone,

I don't notice the blurry textures at night AND at just about 55 years young that may be part of the issue.  :smile:  With that said, I cannot use these settings in the day time. My night flying is now in the incredible range. I'll have a video online by tonight, going to look at bigger houses today, the sim will be getting it's own bedroom, I hope.

I ll be looking forward to your video ..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I stopped using this NI setting because of the cloud hit, even with my setup.

I'll give this another try when I get home tonight and see what's up.

Mark

So what settings do u run then? Strictly in sim, or NVCP as well?

I had slight FPS hit with my 980ti using soft clouds in 3.1 but now in 3.2 using default clouds no FPS hit using NVI at 4XSSGA...everything looks great no jaggies.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

In sim which seems somewhat improved in 3.2 

FXAA does help, but not on the order of 4xSGSS in NI.

Getting rid of the jagged, flashing runway lines along with the exterior of some aircraft comes at a big cost. Rob has spoken to this on many occasions.

However, I have not tried 4xSGSS in 3.2

Who knows, might get a surprise  :smile:

Mark