Sign in to follow this  
Guest glnflwrs

Respect........No negative responses, only thoughtful discussion!

Guest Philip Olson

Ok, this is going to be a thread with no negative comments, no bashing, nothing negative at all. I am just going to ask a question and give you my opinion, if anyone wants to discuss it they can do so in an intelligent informed manner. Why is it that at times people can post an opinon and immediately get attacked? Let's face it folks, different people have different tastes, this is a good thing. Why does someone need to be attacked because their ideas differ from the attackers? I just read a post on another forum that said absolutely nothing negative about anyone or anything but several people attacked him for it. Why? Because it did not fit their view of the world. People, if you want others to respect your views, you have to respect theirs! I can understand an attack if someone attacks your ideas by becoming personal but if it is a discussion without anything personal just discuss the facts, leave the attacks out. I am appaled by the behaviour of some here, they act as if they are the final word on how everyone should enjoy FS, sorry, we are a community that means we enjoy the same basic thing but we all enjoy it in a different way. Learn from those that think differently from you, do not attack them. Let me make this clear, no one is any better than anyone else! A newbie is just as important as an old hand. Remember the old hand was a newbie once too, if a newbie is driven off because of poor treatment we may loose a future super star in our community. Please, I beg everyone to consider what they are saying before they hit the post message button. Are you being respectful, is your post helpful or hurtful? If you think that someone's opinion is wrong discuss the facts with them, don't slam them, an intelligent discussion of the facts will bring someone around, being a bully will only make matters worse. Let me say this again, no one, and I mean no one is better than anyone else, we are all here to enjoy our hobby, period. Respect goes far in this world and trust me if you don't show others respect you don't only lose the respect of that single person, you lose it from many others as well. I hope that you all will consider what I have said, if you think that I am wrong feel free to tell me, but only in a respectful manner.Best Regards,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again...People need to understand that even when someone makes a post that seems like good english (when in fact they are probably from another country) need to consider that their vocabulary is probably limited, therefore they choose words they think best fits what they are trying to convey.Further more people are going to make posts that may sound imflamitory but are made out of frustration more than anything. I've handled many customer support issues where people sound mad but a simple reply with a simple solution can turn them into a very happy person and a person who is willing to learn and listen more.If someone makes a post who you know is just plain mad, try metoring them first before bashing back.That's my 2 cents.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest P3_Super_Bee

I think as Jeff said, since not everyone on the boards use English as their 1st Language, might create problems. I think the biggest thing is there is no body language / voice. I know I have in the past either posted something or was ready to post something that if spoken/heard, you would understand fully I was not serious at all in the statement, but just reading it alone on a messeage board it looks to be like an attack...

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Guest Douglas K

Phillip,It's a little difficult to respond in detail when you preface your remarks with "Ok, this is going to be a thread with no negative comments, no bashing, nothing negative at all." You are after all commenting on negativity and personal attacks in these forums!I'll hold the negativity to an absolute minimum then, and simply observe that the human animal is imperfect in many ways, warlike tendencies being one of those imperfections. The inconsequential conflicts that occur here are simply a tiny manifestation of the same behavior that you see on the evening news when a war is being reported. Like you, I bemoan the intolerant and childish behavior exhibited by some who frequently post here, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round!Your comment "no one, and I mean no one is better than anyone else" is spot on, and there are several folks here who need to learn that concept and take it to heart. Unfortunately, it's not up to us to teach them, they have to come around to it on their own, and for many that takes more than a single lifetime.I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said here, and it's something that needed saying.What Jeff has said is undeniably true in many instances, but there are other occasions where one or more persons feel the need to impose their will and personal views on others. No communications difficulties are involved, and the only misunderstanding associated with these events is the failure of these individuals to understand that it is wrong to behave that way.Best regards to you,Douglas

Guest Philip Olson

Hey Douglas, :-lol , I guess you are right it is hard to talk about negativity when I stop it from being discussed in the first place! :-lol While I agree with the others that sometimes language plays a role, in the case that I was looking at language was not an issue. It was a simple case of a person not liking what the poster said because it was against what he believed in, so he went with a negative post and others followed. Another cause for this may be something that I have recently discovered though. Since moving to Ohio I thought that people were pretty negative here and what I found was that if you ask many of the people here how their day was they will always reply in the negative. No matter that something good might have happened during the day, they always tell you what went wrong that day. If you ask them for an opinion about something the answer too is always in the negative. I guess there is a sector of the population who always sees things in the negative, they will report on what went wrong rather than what went right. It is beyond me why anyone would want to dwell in the negative all of the time but people are people I guess. I know that I would much rather see the good in things, it makes live more enjoyable. Sadly looking at the number of people who have read this post, not many, I don't think that it will have it's intended effect, to make people think a little bit. There are some people here that could benefit from a little thought about their behavior. Hey, I am part German and I have a German temper, very often I have to think before I hit that post message button and more often than not I erase all or part of something I have said because it simply was rude, or just a knee jerk response. It is easy to hold back on hitting the post button and think for a minute, I wish more people did it. None of us are the absolute expert on anything so please try to respect other peoples views. Take care,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest glnflwrs

"but there are other occasions where one or more persons feel the need to impose their will and personal views on others."If you are pointing out that fact to the one who is acting that way there is no non-negative way to do it. His actions are negative and you are trying to get him to see his error. It HAS to be negative but it must also be done in a positive seeking attitude.Glenn"If God would have wanted man to fly He would have given him more money"

Guest Douglas K

>>>> Since moving to Ohio I thought that people were pretty negative here and what I found was that if you ask many of the people here how their day was they will always reply in the negative.<<<

Guest glnflwrs

Douglas, I agree with you 100%. Even though it really doesn't cause people to change at all I still feel the need to express to them the disappointment and, sometimes, hurt that they cause by their disrespect and thoughtless demeaning of others. I do try to wait until the immediate anger has subsided before composing a post to them. My dad always waited a day or two two punish his kids because he didn't want anger involved. Be well,Glenn"If God would have wanted man to fly He would have given him more money"

I'll try not to be too negative... :)There seems to be a thinking on these boards lately that each thread should end with a solid conclusion that everyone agrees on 100%. Of course this is impossible and silly. Posting opposing opinions (assuming they are constructive) is fine. But post your alternate view and leave it at that. People feel the need to stay and defend and even prove their opinions. However, it is an opinion and opinions do not need to be proven or justified. Opinions are not facts to be argued over. Everyone has one, and they are not right or wrong. However, people should only post their opinions if it is constructive and useful. Saying something "stinks" or "is a joke" is not helpful to anyone.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest glnflwrs

Right on the money Craig. Well said.Glenn"If God would have wanted man to fly He would have given him more money"