Sign in to follow this  
fs4fun

Integrated Graphics

Using an ASUS G750J Gaming notebook with Windows 10, DX10 fixer wants to use settings for Intel HD Graphics even though there is also GTX 870M GPU.

If I run DX10 fixer it says "No AA" even if I use 'Run With NVIDIA graphics processor' by right-clicking on the application (and also I made NVIDIA the default graphics in the Nvidia Control Panel).

If I change AA to 4x in the fixer application then I end up with 2 display.device entries in fsx.cfg:

// This entry is controlled by FSX setting dialong
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M.0.0]
Mode=1920x1080x32
Anisotropic=1
AntiAlias=1

// This is added by DX10 fixer
[DISPLAY.Device.Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.0.0]
AntiAlias=1

How can I make DX10 fixer see my Nvidia GPU instead of Intel graphics?

Thanks,

Barry

Barry Friedman

You cannot its  a bug I am afraid  and not one that I was aware of - however I don't think anything particularly bad is happening, although its not ideal.  

The only connection between the fixer and the GPU is in editing the fsx.cfg as a convenience. 

The settings in the fsx.cfg are the master and determine what actually happens when fsx runs.

For the display device that FSX uses the AntiAlias flag in its entry turns  AA on and off.

If it is set then the AA  defaults to 4x and can be set to 2x or 8x with the MultiSamplesPerPixel config entry. 

Other sub modes such as 8xCSAA can be set using the MultiSampleQuality config entry.

The fixer asks the OS  about the display devices.  Its taking the first one as FSX in DX10 mode doesnt support dual GPUs.  However in your case there are validly two.  The first one is the Intel and the fixer finds that the AntiAlias flag is not set in fsx so it says (incorrectly) that no AA is set.

When you turn AA on it writes the entry you see (which is harmless) and sets the MultiSamplesPerPixel value which changes the AA level used by the Nvidia card when fsx runs. 

So in fsx  so long as you have the antialias setting set against the  Nvidia card in fsx.cfg as you have and let the fixer write the harmless Intel entry, then you will run with the AA set in the fixer as it is changing the MultiSamplesPerPixel value.

What you are losing is the ability to use the CSAA modes, but you can do that if you wish by setting the value in fsx.cfg.

Thanks Steve, good to know it's causing any real problems, I'll just edit fsx.cfg accordingly if I want to play with CSAA.

Barry Friedman