Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

With Orbx England, default type airport buildings appear in UK2000 EGCC

Of course? So Hybrid mode doesn't work as described. I thought it meant that the local layers would take precedence when available, as in UK, and the European ones elsewhere in Europe.

What sort of ugliness should I expect?

This isn't sounding good. :-(

Pete

Hello Pete

If I understand correctly hybrid mode allows most features from regions and global to be shown correctly.

Anyway ORBX is developing some new tech. to get rid of changing regions and hybrid with Central, it will have a unified  lclookup.bgl so we will be able fly all over without noticing.

You can read it here. unified global regions.(login required)

Of course? So Hybrid mode doesn't work as described. I thought it meant that the local layers would take precedence when available, as in UK, and the European ones elsewhere in Europe.

What sort of ugliness should I expect?

This isn't sounding good. :-(

Pete

Not sure what you mean with "as described"... To me it works exactly as I read it when I looked for info on it. It's not a matter of precedence.

I'm trying to find a post I had read with a very clear explanation on it, but I cannot find it, so I'll try in my caveman way:

It has to do with the lookup tables for landclass, etc. due to the limitations (limited entries?) I believe the global one is more generic to cover the world, while the region one uses entries with items more specific to that particular region.

If you fly out of a region into the "rest of the world", you can't have just the region's entries as it would not look right, hence the "hybrid mode" with a compromise/best selection of both cases. So it makes the region not that good in some places, but the rest of the world acceptable when crossing these borders.

Also found this text on reddit:

Hybrid mode changes some of the rules that FSX uses to choose which textures to display for a given landclass (type of ground). It makes the ground textures more generalized so you are less likely to notice the boundary between upgraded areas. But that means you don't see as much of the custom textures tuned for realism in the area. Forests may not look quite as similar to what is really in an area and so on.

You can probably find more details in the orbx site, forums or guides. I tried for a while but cannot seem to find the post I was refering to.

Cheers!

So unless the UK2000 scenery was predicting that another object could appear in an area and applied the exclusions appropriately, it's to be expected that another object could and should appear from lower-priority scenery.

I understand all that. What I don't understand is that I never saw these default-style EGCC buildings appear in an amongst the UK2000 buildings until FTX England was installed. What was excluding the default ones but not the Orbx ones?

Maybe the Orbx ones are somehow "classified" differently and escape the exclusion which works with the defaults? If so, it isn't a very nice thing or Orbx to do. Now I have to check every single add-on airport in the British Isles to make sure it isn't happening at others. :-(

Also found this text on reddit:

Hybrid mode changes some of the rules that FSX uses to choose which textures to display for a given landclass (type of ground). It makes the ground textures more generalized so you are less likely to notice the boundary between upgraded areas. But that means you don't see as much of the custom textures tuned for realism in the area. Forests may not look quite as similar to what is really in an area and so on.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I understand. So not specifically "ugly" just not "localised enough".

Anyway ORBX is developing some new tech. to get rid of changing regions and hybrid with Central, it will have a unified  lclookup.bgl so we will be able fly all over without noticing.

You can read it here. unified global regions.(login required)

I'll take a look. Thanks!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen