Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Pilot2ATC vs VOX

I'm always careful about comparing one piece of software in another's forum but since this is an unofficial forum for VOX and there's no telling when there may be an update for P3D coming, I was wondering if anyone here has used both programs? How does Pilot2ATC compare with VOX? I'm especially interested in anyone who is testing v2.

NAX669.png

I'm always careful about comparing one piece of software in another's forum but since this is an unofficial forum for VOX and there's no telling when there may be an update for P3D coming, I was wondering if anyone here has used both programs? How does Pilot2ATC compare with VOX? I'm especially interested in anyone who is testing v2.

I was literally about to make the same post as I was just browsing the the pilot2atc manual for 2.0 and it was peaking my interest.  Main things I was wondering is how it handles ground taxiing.  I love how vox draws out the lighting dynamically when taxiing.  Extremely helpful especially at airports that you're unfamiliar with.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

I am playing with P2ATC and PF3 at the moment, but I am no expert.

I would say PF3 is nearer to Vox if you don't use the voice function in Vox..ie a bit more like Radar Contact, but much more involving with many more options.

P2ATC is very sophisticated and more challenging but does allow voice interaction, or button control using its "sayit"function.

So far I have not got anywhere near understanding all it offers, but it is effectively still an open Beta and is constantly being debugged and rationalised.

Taxiing in P2ATC is just a case of being told to taxi to a particular runway, and on approach you will be asked to contact the tower, as far as I can see there are no directional instructions given other than being told which taxi ways to use etc.(no arrows or green lights!)

PF3 is also getting regular updates and both authors are accessible through active and helpful forums.

Taxiing in PF3 has its own taxi monitor which directs you to your TO runway by voice or by the heading bug , but I find it easier just to get to the hold point myself and then call the tower to ask for take off clearance.

It is quite interesting experimenting with both but I wouldn't or couldn't say which is or will be best as they are both under constant development..

I should add I am using P2ATC v2beta, not the original one, if it is not clear in my previous post.

I am playing with P2ATC and PF3 at the moment, but I am no expert.

I would say PF3 is nearer to Vox if you don't use the voice function in Vox..ie a bit more like Radar Contact, but much more involving with many more options.

P2ATC is very sophisticated and more challenging but does allow voice interaction, or button control using its "sayit"function.

So far I have not got anywhere near understanding all it offers, but it is effectively still an open Beta and is constantly being debugged and rationalised.

Taxiing in P2ATC is just a case of being told to taxi to a particular runway, and on approach you will be asked to contact the tower, as far as I can see there are no directional instructions given other than being told which taxi ways to use etc.(no arrows or green lights!)

PF3 is also getting regular updates and both authors are accessible through active and helpful forums.

Taxiing in PF3 has its own taxi monitor which directs you to your TO runway by voice or by the heading bug , but I find it easier just to get to the hold point myself and then call the tower to ask for take off clearance.

It is quite interesting experimenting with both but I wouldn't or couldn't say which is or will be best as they are both under constant development..

I should add I am using P2ATC v2beta, not the original one, if it is not clear in my previous post.

John,

Thanks for your response. I've been a PFE\PF3 user for a long time so I'm very familiar with that program. I always liked VOX for how interactive it was and the fact that it assigned SIDS?STARS. As I said in my original post, there's no telling when or if VOX is going to be updated so I'm looking for alternatives.

NAX669.png

HI Mike, There is a "runways" button available that zooms in on your current airport and gives a top down view.

Also there is a '"taxiways" button that will provide a drawn taxipath that is superimposed on the" runways" view for your designated   runway.HTH Rick... This way you will know where to go without marking on the actual taxipath of the sim.

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

HI Mike, There is a "runways" button available that zooms in on your current airport and gives a top down view.

Also there is a '"taxiways" button that will provide a drawn taxipath that is superimposed on the" runways" view for your designated   runway.HTH Rick... This way you will know where to go without marking on the actual taxipath of the sim.

Thanks for the reply. I watched some youtube videos for Pilot2ATC and it always has the control panel (UI) up. Please tell me that it normally runs in the background and that you only need it when setting up your flight.

NAX669.png

I have the control panel running on a separate monitor so it doesn't interfere with the "aircraft" monitor at all. The second monitor is just plugged into the second output on my graphics card, no networking or anything required.

I would think it would be very difficult to enjoy using P2ATC while flying if you had to constantly "bring it to the front" to refer to it.

I use the "sayit" function at the moment, before I move on to using voice control..hopefully.. and you need constant access to the P2ATC control panel during flights to use it. With a second monitor that is no problem.

Are we assuming Vox ATC is now effectively dead as far as P3D is concerned? Looks like it.

Are we assuming Vox ATC is now effectively dead as far as P3D is concerned? Looks like it.

That remains to be seen. A poster here a while back said he had communicated with Tegwin and he had said he was working on an update but nothing else has been heard.

NAX669.png

So much work is going into these competitors, the "new" Vox, if it arrives, will have to be quite an upgrade from its present offering to compete with them, although P2ATC is still very much in Beta but is very promising.

Apparently PF3 can be used with MCE to make it voice driven, although I have not tried it.

John,

Once you've set up your flight in P2A, do you ever have to go back to the control panel? I believe that the program has a moving map so I could understand if you had it up on a second display.

NAX669.png

Yes, I do, Mike.

Although I use Flightsim Commander for flight planning usually, the planning facility in P2A and the moving map, and all the info available on the control panel makes FSC redundant, but that means using the P2A control panel moving map.Which is a good one.

Also,as I said earlier, while I am getting used to P2A and its bugs are being eliminated I use the "sayit" function which basically, for each frequency you are using, shows the possible interactions you could make to Tower, Ground , Centre etc and all you have to do is click on the text and press the sayit button and the text is spoken for you.

I hope to use the voice commands later but obviously to use the sayit method you really need to have the P2A control panel accessible at all times.

The second monitor solves that problem.

Hope that helps!

I would think it would be very difficult to enjoy using P2ATC while flying if you had to constantly "bring it to the front" to refer to it.

I've been actively considering P2ATC but had worried about this - I'm on a single monitor, widescreen, yes, but even so I'd have to swap the window in and out.  I think that's a dealbreaker.  Thanks for clarifying. If there's a new VOX at some point, I'll take a look. 

I recently upgraded my monitor so I have a spare one, and the space to use it so I am in a fortunate position.

I have found being able to use a second monitor useful, before P2A I used to display FSC on it whereas before I had to have it displayed on a networked laptop which was a bit of a faff to set up.

Why does an ATC program need such a large interface, maps, radios ect.

Seems it is designed to be run windowed with the GUI on a separate screen

If it had an intrusive text box like VoxATC or Radar Contact I would give it a try but with one monitor and a networked laptop the interface is useless to me as it stands.

I think, as Mike suggests, the control panel or GUI of P2A should only be needed when setting up a flight as long as you are going to use the voice interaction system during the flight, and not bother with the moving map.

I am not proficient at this and am trying to learn how it all works so I use the GUI as it helps, and is needed if using the say it function, as I do at the moment.

In the future I hope I will be able to load a flight plan, connect to the sim and then do everything else by voice control. And not need the GUI, unless I get confused or something else goes wrong.

I am a bit far from that at present though.