Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Orbx partners with DTG to implement Orbx scenery as default

As a P3D user, I'm finding it hard to see a scenario where P3D doesn't sink into obscurity now.

It looks like DTG is going to at least match P3D with the shadowing, lighting, etc. They are also promising improvements in tangible areas that P3D hasn't touched and likely won't touch. It'll of course be 64 bit as well.

But to now see that it'll include Orbx scenery as default as well? That's gonna be a killer combo. 

• Upvote 1

Edit:

Looks like the screenshots are just FTX Global. So it's not quite as killer of a combo as I thought. At least at this point it isn't. JV hasn't responded yet to me asking him if other Orbx technologies will be included (namely OpenLC and Vector as DTG says they are wanting to update those).

As a P3D user, I'm finding it hard to see a scenario where P3D doesn't sink into obscurity now.

Well, there is more to a sim than ground textures.  :wink:

The armchair lawyers prefer P3D, because it allows them to pay as much money as possible for exactly the same product. They also don't need to have fun, so that's another bonus. There are (apparently) plenty of armchair lawyers in the flightsim community, so I predict that P3D has a healthy future :wink:

• Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well, there is more to a sim than ground textures.  :wink:

Yeah, like 64 bit, new lighting, shadows, DX11, updated LC and vector, etc.

You guys know I'm a big P3D user. But having all that along with FTX Global (and possibly more) on top of it is going to make the new platform the gold standard.

The armchair lawyers prefer P3D, because it allows them to pay as much money as possible for exactly the same product. They also don't need to have fun, so that's another bonus. There are (apparently) plenty of armchair lawyers in the flightsim community, so I predict that P3D has a healthy future :wink:

There has been no alternative until now. No matter how many FSX users say it's the same, P3D has major advancements over it.

One thing from the screenshots I'm seeing is that I still don't see any self-shadowing or cloud shadows.

So they may still have a ways to go, although I couldn't imagine them releasing a new sim and not having such basic things if they are going through the trouble of going 64bit, DX11, etc.

Add me to your tally, Christopher.  :smile:

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

DTG got started with the Train Sim community - and they really didn't do a very good job - they make graphically pretty things while ignoring the underlying operations - kind of like a popular plane vendor we all know - personally - I don't understand all the hype... Only time will tell...

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

If you have much experience with DTG's Train Simulator and their business model, I don't think you are going to flock to their new flight sim for quite awhile. It isn't going to be geared to the type of people that P3D attracts, in my opinion. You have to get used to products that don't work correctly from day one, and are never patched. Their total focus has been to forget about what they sold yesterday, and work on what they will sell tomorrow. Then factor in what Steam is like, where they decide what , where , and when you content will be changed.. updated, modified, etc, and I think users will be in for a bit of a shock. You won't tweak anything, Steam will, and you better like it.   :wink:  

• Upvote 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Here's another aspect I missed in the comments so far: This deal shows sceneries we presently enjoy can be embedded into DT's future simulators. There may be tools required from DT and some rework from the 3rd parties, but obviously it can be done.  

Which gives me a warm feeling.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I wonder if this means that ORBx will be at Cosford 2016?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Here's another aspect I missed in the comments so far: This deal shows sceneries we presently enjoy can be embedded into DT's future simulators. There may be tools required from DT and some rework from the 3rd parties, but obviously it can be done.  

Which gives me a warm feeling.

Kind regards, Michael

I just wanted to post that.  :wink: It seems to show indeed that it won't have to take months of work and lots of money to make current scenery compatible.

Other than that: even though things are looking nice in certain regards, I don't expect this sim to become my number one sim on the day of release. A lot will have to be added before that will happen.

BTW At the same time: this deal clearly shows the Dovetail sim isn't really a NEW sim. No matter what they say, as far as I can tell now it is a next version of FSX, just like P3D is. Not a bad thing but it's NOT an entirely new system etc. otherwise the Orbx scenery wouldn't work with it. I mean, it's still good old land class and textures etc. etc. etc.

You will have to wait for the NextGenFlightSim for a truly next generation flight simulator, and I know that you are all really looking forward to that one :P

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You will have to wait for the NextGenFlightSim for a truly next generation flight simulator, and I know that you are all really looking forward to that one :P

Does the waiting come with a retirement plan?

:smile: