Sign in to follow this  
CW46

Stormscope

Contacted Alabeo regarding the Stormscope not appearing to actually do anything in P3D V3. Tried it in a major thunderstorm, with and without ASN, what gives? I was told it works for us, check ADMIN rights etc, etc. etc. Replied I have allready done that and what system did you test with or better yet please post a video on the web site of it working.

Their reply was well it does works for us in FSX and P3D but the problem is with V3. How about just stating it does not work in your version in the first place? It took four replies to get them to say it is a V3 problem.

In the meantime I will put an inop sticker on the gauge.

Gary Stewart

This is NOT a great solution, but I know the MilViz baron has a fully functioning stormscope. If you own it or catch it on a sale, you could sub the gauge. :-)  I feel your frustration though. I can't get any of Carenado's weather radars to do anything either.

it is always the same story, BS marketing to drive sales.

Gary Stewart

I would disagree with the comment, I used the Stormscope for over twenty years in corporate flight op's and found it to be a very reliable thunderstorm detection device. A limitation of a weather radar is the fact in heavy precipitation the signal is attenuated and will not display an accurate indication of what you are flying into. A Stormscope when used in conjunction with a weather radar can help distinguish between an active TRW cell to avoid, or identify an area of a heavy rainfall on a radar display that is safe to fly through.It is a very good device if you understand how to use it.

Gary Stewart

Hi Folks,

I have the simple red, yellow, green one in my plane (WX500 ?) that just detects lightning strikes - seems to work well...

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a strike finder in FS that worked...

I don’t have this bird - I’ve been on a kick swapping out the MilViz Wx Radar for Carenado’s awful Avadyne in the planes I do have and like the results...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

6 hours ago, CW46 said:

I used the Stormscope for over twenty years in corporate flight op's and found it to be a very reliable thunderstorm detection device. A limitation of a weather radar is the fact in heavy precipitation the signal is attenuated and will not display an accurate indication of what you are flying into. A Stormscope when used in conjunction with a weather radar can help distinguish between an active TRW cell to avoid, or identify an area of a heavy rainfall on a radar display that is safe to fly through.It is a very good device if you understand how to use it.

If a stormscope is such a reliable and useful tool, why is it that airliners don't use it?

A tubeliner has a very large antenna as opposed to a typical 12" size for smaller aircraft and the antenna size and power output mean everything. Modern radars can detect turbulence and some do integrate the capability to detect electrical activity. The stormscope was a relatively inexpensive device and would supplement the limitations of a general aviation class radar. If you are old enough to remember, an ADF needle will point to an electrical discharge (lightning). Nexrad in the cockpit, weather data up links were not available to us. It is a completely different world to fly in today with the digital technology and equipment available. 

Gary Stewart