Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Maximum altitude for AI traffic

Does anyone know what the ceiling is for AI in FS9? I have some traffic files with SR71s, U2s etc. and it might be fun to hear ATC clearing them to Flight Level 650! LOL

Cheers

Ian

Does anyone know what the ceiling is for AI in FS9? I have some traffic files with SR71s, U2s etc. and it might be fun to hear ATC clearing them to Flight Level 650! LOL

Cheers

Ian

I really don't know the "maximum", but I've "seen" and "heard" (ATC) Learjets flying at well over 60,000 feet (I know, FL600 .... but aviation newbies have to understand too).

Someone with more ambition could probably check some of their AI flightplans to see if they also can verify.

Does anyone know what the ceiling is for AI in FS9?

Hi Ian,

I am not sure about this - to be sure - but it seems to be 80k, Which of course does not promise any AI can or could reach that altitude and fly like a SR71 at that altitude plus. What I am saying is that a number of years ago, while doing stupid things, I slewed a glider as high as it would go which was about 80k. When I switched to normal mode and with probably not dense enough air(?) it dropped out of the sky like an incoming ICBM.  I suppose it depends very much on the AI model and FDE. MAIW has the U2 models available and flight plans but I've not taken the time to look at the flight plans to see at what altitude they operate at. The SR71 would certainly push that speed and altitude envelope a great deal. I don't think speed it the limiter because I used to have a UFO installed that was so fast even the external view could not keep up with it. So the limit was flight dynamics.

Is the SR 71 a AI model? And if so who produced It? Ah, found it; Sim Outhouse and AVSIM.

As far as the U2 was concerned, it had a ceiling of 60k.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_U-2

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

Also there are some great stories out there about the Blackbirds and their interaction with other aircraft and ATC.

This probably didn't help very much. mostly because the FS9 AI control engine seems to behave in a kind of uncooperative way in extreme situations.

Regards,

As far as the U2 was concerned, it had a ceiling of 60k.

I think you missed it by 10K feet (from the article on wikipedia) AND also one of the Mythbusters was able to fly in one and recorded cruising altitude was 70,000 feet.

Thanks guys... I'll give 50K a try and see if it works.... Not quite sure what I have that will get me to 50K to have a look but it's always fun to try stretching the envelope. (Like me rolling the DF 727 last year - twas quite an experience!) :dance:

Thanks guys... I'll give 50K a try and see if it works.... Not quite sure what I have that will get me to 50K to have a look but it's always fun to try stretching the envelope. (Like me rolling the DF 727 last year - twas quite an experience!) :dance:

Try a Concorde ..... I regularly fly it at 60-65,000 feet.