Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

Need some good quality cloud textures

I recently had some issues with my XP 10, so I decided to clean up and start again. Maybe it was simply overloaded with all this great freeware. :smile:

When I tried to install SMP3 and the Saab 340 I got an error. Apparently I've used up 3 activations in 6 months.

I contacted support and now I need to explain why I used up the 3 activations.

I've told myself over and over again to avoid doing business with these types of developers, but I did not listen to myself. Shame on me!

I've uninstalled both and now I will be looking for freeware clouds and textures.

Thanks.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi Jose

I too am having a dissillusioning experience with Xaviation's licencing and support ticket policy. 

There is a program called Weather XP which has cloud textures...not sure how it compares with SMP which I really like, but can't use on my cockpit setup at the moment due the licence issue.

I fear I too will have to cut my losses with SMP unless I get some further response (I have complied with all their requests).

Cheers

Ian  

• Upvote 1

Ian Cameron

It's a crime what some of these devs get away with. 3 add-ons that I can not install. I will be issuing a complaint. I see this as theft. You buy software and the dev gets to decide when you can install it again. I encourage anyone before they buy any add-ons from this seller to think twice.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

It's a crime what some of these devs get away with. 3 add-ons that I can not install. I will be issuing a complaint. I see this as theft. You buy software and the dev gets to decide when you can install it again. I encourage anyone before they buy any add-ons from this seller to think twice.

Thanks.

Hi jose. While i understand what your saying you need to look at it from another perspective.

1) first you do not buy software. this has been the case for almost all softwares. what you buy is a license and the EULA clarifies a lot of the issues.

2) I think also you have to remember that the xplane community is very small and Im sure you know full well how much work goes into producing these kind of products. Combined with the fact that piracy has become super easy, X-aviation is only trying to protect the little revenue they have. 

I hate DRM as much as the next guy, but i think in this case its justified. X-Aviation only asked for a reason and honestly i dont think  they are being unreasonable. 

• Upvote 2

I recently had some issues with my XP 10, so I decided to clean up and start again. Maybe it was simply overloaded with all this great freeware. :smile:

When I tried to install SMP3 and the Saab 340 I got an error. Apparently I've used up 3 activations in 6 months.

I contacted support and now I need to explain why I used up the 3 activations.

I've told myself over and over again to avoid doing business with these types of developers, but I did not listen to myself. Shame on me!

I've uninstalled both and now I will be looking for freeware clouds and textures.

Thanks.

Jose

I've had activations reset by them before, and it was a non-issue. However, I always did write that I've had to reinstall, etc. (which is of course true). 

I would probably do the same and avoid them had the same happened to me.

I know but the activation limit exists, but I was just looking around their website and don't see anything that points towards a 3 activation limit. Does that show up during installations? Their refund policy clearly states that once it's downloaded, there's no refund for any reason. 

I've been an X-Aviation customer for a few years now, and I can understand the complaints, but I think some perspective is needed.

I hate DRM too, but this is a small company/distributor. They're trying to protect their ability to continue developing new high-end stuff for X-Plane, and there aren't that many developers out there at this level. I'll put up with having to occasionally re-authorize things I've purchased when I move to a different computer (or whatever), in return for having access to things like the MU-2, LES DC-3, and SkyMaxx Pro. 

We need as many developers as we can get for 3rd party support of X-Plane, and on the retail storefront side, I would hate to end up with the .org store as the only retail source for payware planes, scenery, and utilities too.

So I recommend just being patient and working with their support email to resolve problems. Most of the trouble reports I've read have been just people being impatient about not getting help right away, and not allowing for the small size of the company.

I know but the activation limit exists, but I was just looking around their website and don't see anything that points towards a 3 activation limit. 

As far as I know, it's just 3 activations and then you contact them if you need more. Which should be automatic, because they can just cross-reference to your customer ID.

This is not all that unusual with software DRM. I have audio applications, like the digital audio workstation I use for audio editing that has a 3 activation limit, and then you contact the company if you need more. It's easy, except sometimes with small indie outfits that don't have a 24/7 support staff, and then you just have to be a little more patient.

P.S. I also realize that this is all happening in an environment (X-Plane) where we're used to just downloading planes and scenery without dealing with DRM. There aren't many (or any other?) companies actually using DRM with X-Plane like X-Aviation. But if you want this sim to grow, and attract more high-end developers, I think that's part of the Devil's Bargain we'll be making. Does anyone think we'll be able to buy the upcoming PMDG planes without some form of DRM?

• Upvote 4

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

"As far as I know, it's just 3 activations and then you contact them if you need more."

The standard protocol for a good developer/seller is that when a customer contacts them about activation, their reply should be,

​"we're sorry for the inconvenience."

All this talk about EULA or piracy is simply ludicrous. To install their software you need an e-mail address and password, then you need to enter it again to activate. The seller has the customer's e-mail, address, and phone number.

If a seller/dev wants to limit their installs, I do not have an issue with it, as long as they conspicuously display it on their sales page.

For this I'll add "X-Aviation" to my Hall of Shame list. I wish them the best of luck!

• Upvote 2

I've been dealing with them for years and have never had such problems. When I've requested a reset of activations it's always been done with no issues and quite quickly. I've always found dealing with them easy and must say I've always been impressed by their customer service. Their DRM system is easy and really not a hassle so I personally don't understand the complaints as my experience has only been positive.

No offense DJJose but if such small things merit addition to your list of shame then it must be a long list.

• Upvote 1

No offense DJJose but if such small things merit addition to your list of shame then it must be a long list.

It's actually a very small list.

If you have been dealing with them for years, why is X-Aviation not treating me with the same level of respect as it does to you? What makes you so special?

I'm sure that there's nothing special about you. :wink:

You are correct. I am, one has to assume, no more special than any other of their customers so I cannot speak to the why of the situation, I can but profer my own experience. There may be something about your manner that elicits their response to you as an individual but that's just speculation on my part.

You are correct. I am, one has to assume, no more special than any other of their customers so I cannot speak to the why of the situation, I can but profer my own experience. There may be something about your manner that elicits their response to you as an individual but that's just speculation on my part.

Thanks for your response.

The world is a reflection of our attitude.

Jose

Thanks.

What my team and I "get away with" is a crime??  You see it as theft??  

You really want to have this conversation? 

What's questionable to me is, you stated you needed to reinstall X Plane 1 time.  Yet you have used all 3 of your downloads for the Saab and SMP within 6 months.  Red flags are waving, Jose.

"I recently had some issues with my XP 10, so I decided to clean up and start again. Maybe it was simply overloaded with all this great freeware.  :smile:

I contacted support and now I need to explain why I used up the 3 activations."

Red flags are waving, Jose.

I understand how you feel. That's why I decided to wave my hand goodbye to X-A. I do not need for any seller or dev to think that I'm a pirate.

"You really want to have this conversation?"

No. What I really wanted was to install SMP3, the Saab, and SoundMaxx, without any problems. I paid for those 3 add-ons. Instead I have to come to avsim to look for freeware and vent.

• Upvote 1

I understand how you feel. That's why I decided to wave my hand goodbye to X-A. I do not need for any seller or dev to think that I'm a pirate.

"You really want to have this conversation?"

No. What I really wanted was to install SMP3, the Saab, and SoundMaxx, without any problems. I paid for those 3 add-ons. Instead I have to come to avsim to look for freeware and vent.

What an ironic statement.  

You don't want anyone accusing you of piracy, (which no one ever has), yet you accuse US of theft, after you received the products that you paid for...3 times within 6 months.  Then when questioned why you needed a download reset (something every customer goes through after their 3rd download), you start slandering the developers (1 of them being me and my team) and the publisher by calling us thieves.  

Jose, please, I'm asking this with all due respect to you as a paying customer, be careful what you falsely accuse us of in a public forum.  It has far reaching implications that COULD hurt our bottom line.  There is no reason to vent in a public forum when the publisher and developers are easily accessible and are always willing to help.  Either on the respective forums or a Facebook page.  I reply to every single PM I get on the LES facebook page.  

I reiterate...you paid for your products.  They were delivered...3 times.  A reset of downloads is a non issue.  All XA ask for is an explanation on why you need a reset after using all your downloads after just 6 months.  

• Upvote 1