Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Carenado CJ2 Few problems

You will if not I will buy it for you - I owe you one 

Its great - luv it

That's good news.  I'm considering it after a fresh install of P3D

Before purchasing I would like to verify that there are no problems in FSX or P3D with external lights (like strobes/beacons) flashing in the VC cockpit during the day or nighttime?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

That could be ok .. what is the OAT / SAT / TAT?

Did the performance tables have data for this?

OAT -53c, TAT -34c, FL320, Gross Weight 10800, TAS 378, CAS 237 and throttle full. Time from brake release to FL320 was 16:38 min.

The high speed cruise table says TAS should be 410 knots. This is in FSX too.

OAT -53c, TAT -34c, FL320, Gross Weight 10800, TAS 378, CAS 237 and throttle full. Time from brake release to FL320 was 16:38 min.

The high speed cruise table says TAS should be 410 knots. This is in FSX too.

There is a problem somewhere with the high altitude performance. I did two speed and fuel flow checks and both were similar or worse. I wanted to check the FL290 - FL310 for top speed or high speeds and then at FL390 - FL430 to see the saving in fuel. Both were disappointing and it looked like the fuel flows were off even more than the speeds.

I plan to make some calibration runs today. I am going to fly the Phenom 300 first because I have lots of recorded data for the speed/FF from the recent Avsim review. I also have some recent Legacy V2 speed data.

This is to make sure it is not my throttles not producing the correct thrust levels.

This poor performance is not something that can't be fixed, but it is key for me to enjoy the CJ2.

Maybe we can get some comparison runs. Need to record Gross Weight, altitude, thrust levels, OAT, TAS, Fuel Flows vs book numbers. You can get a direct readout along the bottom of the MFD for TAS and temp var.

I suppose we can also record our climb to altitude times. Record your climb airspeed and total time. We should use the climb tables in the Carenado docs for a good comparison.

Regards,

Ray

EDIT  The CJ2 needs full power at altitude to achieve the book values. I climbed from SL to FL290 in 15:37 using climb tables and FLC.  After about 6 minutes at level flight and full power I recorded 208 Kts TAS. ISA +2 deg C, FF 1158 PPH, GW 10,000 lbs.  Less than full power (N2 98.7 @ -41 deg C) and the numbers drop dramatically.  I think this needs some serious tweaking and adjustment.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

This is also being discussed in the First Impressions thread.  The performance at altitude is abysmal, something it way off.  Fuel flows are 50% too low and it won't make FL 360 on a standard day.

Sorry to sound rude, but this doesn't answer the question of, does it fly DIRECT to a waypoint. As in, if there are 5 waypoints and you are flying from 1-2 and want to fly direct from present position to waypoint 5, can you? Or does it take you on a goose chase trying to find another intercept?

Past models have not allowed that, including the most recent King Air

Thank you

I believe it works but I was not sure how to do it exactly - have to look into it - I tried it and it worked but the solid white line on mfd was missing after -  also showed it was going to the Direct to waypoint so not sure until I read the directions on the Direct to key functions

Rich Sennett

I am also interested in the Direct feature of the FMS3000 as this was an issue in the C90GT and when I sent in a bug report I was informed it was a limitation of MSFS. 

Their previous versions when you selected DIR to a point it would not plot a PPOS direct but intercept the course from the waypoint prior to the waypoint you selected to go direct to. 

This is a purchase or no purchase decision for me. Thank you...

I believe it works but I was not sure how to do it exactly - have to look into it - I tried it and it worked but the solid white line on mfd was missing after -  also showed it was going to the Direct to waypoint so not sure until I read the directions on the Direct to key functions

From the FMS3000 manual.

DIRECT-TO WAYPOINT (DIR KEY)

RATIONALE:

The Direct-To waypoint function, when selected, sends FMS steering commands to the flight guidance system to fly the aircraft directly to the selected waypoint.

SUMMARY:

The ACT DIRECT-TO page lets the pilot fly directly to a selected waypoint. The ACT DIRECT-TO page can consist of several pages. To find a waypoint that is part of the active flight plan, but not shown on the current page, the NEXT or PREV function keys are used as necessary to show the desired waypoint. The annunciation HISTORY shows at the top of the page just below the title line when a DIRECT-TO HISTORY page shows on the CDU.

1      DIR function key – push.
2      LSK (adjacent to the identifier of the waypoint to fly Direct-To) – push.
3      To intercept and fly a specific course to the Direct-To waypoint, enter the course, then transfer it to the Intercept Course (INTC CRS) line on the MOD
LEGS page.
4      Make sure that the flight plan changes are correct using the MFD and CDU. EXEC function key – push.

I don't think step 3 is necessary in the Carenado lite version, steps 1, 2 and 4 should be all that is needed. The aircraft should then fly present position direct to the point your selected. There are other methods for direct to if this does not work. 

I am also interested in the Direct feature of the FMS3000 as this was an issue in the C90GT and when I sent in a bug report I was informed it was a limitation of MSFS. 

Their previous versions when you selected DIR to a point it would not plot a PPOS direct but intercept the course from the waypoint prior to the waypoint you selected to go direct to. 

From the FMS3000 manual.

RATIONALE:

The Direct-To waypoint function, when selected, sends FMS steering commands to the flight guidance system to fly the aircraft directly to the selected waypoint.

SUMMARY:

The ACT DIRECT-TO page lets the pilot fly directly to a selected waypoint. The ACT DIRECT-TO page can consist of several pages. To find a waypoint that is part of the active flight plan, but not shown on the current page, the NEXT or PREV function keys are used as necessary to show the desired waypoint. The annunciation HISTORY shows at the top of the page just below the title line when a DIRECT-TO HISTORY page shows on the CDU.

2      LSK (adjacent to the identifier of the waypoint to fly Direct-To) – push.
3      To intercept and fly a specific course to the Direct-To waypoint, enter the course, then transfer it to the Intercept Course (INTC CRS) line on the MOD
LEGS page.
4      Make sure that the flight plan changes are correct using the MFD and CDU. EXEC function key – push.

I don't think step 3 is necessary in the Carenado lite version, steps 1, 2 and 4 should be all that is needed. The aircraft should then fly present position direct to the point your selected. There are other methods for direct to if this does not work. 

Thank you Ken - well done Buddy

Rich Sennett

From the FMS3000 manual.

RATIONALE:

SUMMARY:

LEGS page.

I'm about to try this and if it works I am going to be sim flying all day! Thanks

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020

"I'm about to try this and if it works I am going to be sim flying all day! Thanks"

Let us know if it works .........

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Some 4K video of this aircraft would sure be nice Rich ... hint hint.

Cheers, Rob.

AFAIK Bernt Stolle is taking a break from fde - and as such did not have anything to do with this CJ2+

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Some 4K video of this aircraft would sure be nice Rich ... hint hint.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes would be nice - asap Rob  :wink:

Rich Sennett

I purchased this bird today and most things I tried work unexpectedly fine. However, I cannot set the heading bug with the mouse. Mouse buttons, wheel etc. don't work for me in Fsx. Am I the only one with this problem ?

Michael

AFAIK Bernt Stolle is taking a break from fde - and as such did not have anything to do with this CJ2+

True. Bernt did not do the CJ2. He is officially retired from flightsim work. According to Carenado, when I asked about the fde, the response was "It was done in-house"

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .