Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Carenado CJ2 Few problems

Richard,

Not the yellow caution light, the dimmer/brightness knob for the PFD and MFD.

Ray

Yes but what about my yellow master switch light coming on when giving more throttle is it doing this to you and why - thanks 

Can anyone tell me what the ErrorContent.log is like after using this aircraft ... any items listed that are specific to Carenado CJ2?

Cheers, Rob.

Try it in a few mins Rob

Rich Sennett

...this Carenado Jet ..   just might be sounding better than their others,

if so I'm in for it...  but as long as     -DIRECT TO-     -FLC-     -VS-    -ALTS-  work as they should...

I loaded up the sample flight plan that came with the Proline 21 flyer with the CJ2 and added the same plan in the GTN750 popup and made a few short cuts and Direct To changes while flying the route. The FMS is not near as smart as the GTN.

If I attempted to cut off a corner the GTN knows what to do and does it, the FMS starts out like it knows what to do but it activates the next leg and then flies an intercept along that leg of the flight plan rather than flying direct to the chosen point.

I tried this a couple of time and it did the same everytime, except when it got lost.  :wink:

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

the FMS starts out like it knows what to do but it activates the next leg and then flies an intercept along that leg of the flight plan rather than flying direct to the chosen point.

Thanks very much Ray ,  just what I wanted to know....  still the same as before.

CC back in the pocket...

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

Can anyone tell me what the ErrorContent.log is like after using this aircraft ... any items listed that are specific to Carenado CJ2?

Cheers, Rob.

No errors on CJ2 just one and it was a ftx gui error

Rich Sennett

I loaded up the sample flight plan that came with the Proline 21 flyer with the CJ2 and added the same plan in the GTN750 popup and made a few short cuts and Direct To changes while flying the route. The FMS is not near as smart as the GTN.

If I attempted to cut off a corner the GTN knows what to do and does it, the FMS starts out like it knows what to do but it activates the next leg and then flies an intercept along that leg of the flight plan rather than flying direct to the chosen point.

I tried this a couple of time and it did the same everytime, except when it got lost.  :wink:

Regards,

Ray

Ray,

Thank you for the report. That is unfortunately what the C90GT does.

The only way I found to get close to a direct to was to put the to point in the from line (Green.) Batting 50% with that as sometimes the aircraft just gets hopelessly lost. 

Procedure from manual:

DIRECT-TO WAYPOINT (ACT LEGS PAGE)

RATIONALE:

The ACT LEGS pages also provide a Direct-To function. The Direct-To function, when selected, sends FMS steering commands to the flight guidance system to fly directly to the selected waypoint.

SUMMARY:

To create a Direct-To on the ACT LEGS page, change the current TO waypoint to the specified go-direct waypoint. The Direct-To waypoint can be an existing down-track waypoint in the active flight plan or any other valid waypoint. 

1   LEGS function key – push (shows ACT/MOD LEGS page).
2   Do one of the steps that follow to enter a waypoint in the scratchpad:
2.1   Enter a waypoint in the scratchpad by pushing the LSK next to the identifier of the specified Direct-To waypoint.
2.2   Manually enter the waypoint identifier with the keypad.
3   Push the LSK next to the current TO waypoint (shown in green on the ACT/MOD LEGS page) to move the waypoint from the scratchpad to the TO waypoint display line.
4   To intercept and fly a specific course to the Direct-To waypoint, enter the course into the scratchpad, then transfer it to the INTC CRS line on the MOD LEGS page.
5   Make sure the flight plan changes are correct on the MFD and CDU. EXEC function key – push.

Sorry to sound rude, but this doesn't answer the question of, does it fly DIRECT to a waypoint. As in, if there are 5 waypoints and you are flying from 1-2 and want to fly direct from present position to waypoint 5, can you? Or does it take you on a goose chase trying to find another intercept?

Past models have not allowed that, including the most recent King Air

Thank you

I can confirm the DTO function kinda works. Using your 1-2-3-4-5 flightplan, if you're fying 1-2, and want to go DTO 5, it will take you to a point between 4-5, intercept that line, then turn direct to 5. Slightly functional, but not exactly right.

There is a problem somewhere with the high altitude performance. I did two speed and fuel flow checks and both were similar or worse. I wanted to check the FL290 - FL310 for top speed or high speeds and then at FL390 - FL430 to see the saving in fuel. Both were disappointing and it looked like the fuel flows were off even more than the speeds.

I plan to make some calibration runs today. I am going to fly the Phenom 300 first because I have lots of recorded data for the speed/FF from the recent Avsim review. I also have some recent Legacy V2 speed data.

This is to make sure it is not my throttles not producing the correct thrust levels.

This poor performance is not something that can't be fixed, but it is key for me to enjoy the CJ2.

Maybe we can get some comparison runs. Need to record Gross Weight, altitude, thrust levels, OAT, TAS, Fuel Flows vs book numbers. You can get a direct readout along the bottom of the MFD for TAS and temp var.

I suppose we can also record our climb to altitude times. Record your climb airspeed and total time. We should use the climb tables in the Carenado docs for a good comparison.

Regards,

Ray

EDIT  The CJ2 needs full power at altitude to achieve the book values. I climbed from SL to FL290 in 15:37 using climb tables and FLC.  After about 6 minutes at level flight and full power I recorded 208 Kts TAS. ISA +2 deg C, FF 1158 PPH, GW 10,000 lbs.  Less than full power (N2 98.7 @ -41 deg C) and the numbers drop dramatically.  I think this needs some serious tweaking and adjustment.

Hi Ray,

I nicked the air file out of the S550. This has given me much better throttle response at altitude. Now when I throttle back at cruise the aircraft

doesn't act like it has flown into a brick wall. However the fuel burn is a little bit light. @FL250 FF should be 1334 by the book, I'm showing 1116.

Dave.

Anybody else unable to un-cage the standby AI? When I click on the knob nothing happens. When I click and drag it adjusts it. But when I am flying it doesn't move so it is still caged. 

Eddie
KABQ

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I enjoy your contributions to this hobby.  I can't get the GTN 750 pop-up to couple to the flight guidance in this aircraft.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Hi Ray,

I enjoy your contributions to this hobby. I can't get the GTN 750 pop-up to couple to the flight guidance in this aircraft. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Hello Bill,

Two things to look at. Did you right click on the SD card slot in the upper left corner of the GTN and select the FlightSim GPS and if yes, then copy one of your F1 GTN.ini files over to the CJ2 panel folder. It could be either.

Good luck. I have my GTN popup sized to fit in the bottom part of the popped up MFD so when I pop them up it is already sized and is a nice workaround until we get it hard coded to the VC.

Best Regards,

Ray

Anybody else unable to un-cage the standby AI? When I click on the knob nothing happens. When I click and drag it adjusts it. But when I am flying it doesn't move so it is still caged.

Seems like there may be a switch to flip to get it going.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hello Bill,

Two things to look at. Did you right click on the SD card slot in the upper left corner of the GTN and select the FlightSim GPS and if yes, then copy one of your F1 GTN.ini files over to the CJ2 panel folder. It could be either.

Good luck. I have my GTN popup sized to fit in the bottom part of the popped up MFD so when I pop them up it is already sized and is a nice workaround until we get it hard coded to the VC.

Best Regards,

Ray

Seems like there may be a switch to flip to get it going.

Ray

Thank you Ray,

I didn't have the ini file in the panel folder.  Got her working now.  Also, I found your review of the GTN.  Well done sir.

Cheers,

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

I can confirm the DTO function kinda works. Using your 1-2-3-4-5 flightplan, if you're fying 1-2, and want to go DTO 5, it will take you to a point between 4-5, intercept that line, then turn direct to 5. Slightly functional, but not exactly right.

Too bad, I fly on Pilotedge and if I am not flying direct, it is going to pose a problem. I would deem this as a MUST fix for Carenado. Its the only reason I haven't bought the c90gtx or cj2 :(

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020

Too bad, I fly on Pilotedge and if I am not flying direct, it is going to pose a problem. I would deem this as a MUST fix for Carenado. Its the only reason I haven't bought the c90gtx or cj2 :sad:

Once someone integrates the GTN750, it'll fly just as it should. I don't actually have any issues with how it flies, but I don't fly online generally. I just plan a flight on SkyVector, including my SID/STAR, and it goes right where I want it. But, I can see the FMS would be a headache for radar vectors.

@Richard re curtain.  The curtain worked for me, as Ray described 16MAR16, 06:05. 

Another cool thing I found while "mousing" around that area is once the curtain is open if you move along the ceiling a little forward into the cockpit you can toggle on/off a blue light.  Does anyone know where this button is located on the dash, or is the pilot expected to reach up?

Yes just reach up - thats it 

Rich Sennett