Sign in to follow this  
300hp.GT

CJ2 First Impressions

:sad: ... I understand 

Bert sets the GTN up for many aircraft and he does not have the time to retro fit the CJ2 at this time 

Rich Sennett

Are the FMA indications on the PFD correct? For example, when FLC is selected, do you see the ALTS indication in white showing that ALTS is armed?

As I remember, yes, the ALTS will show, and the armed altitude will show in white above the ALT tape. Also, above the VS tape, whatever altitude is entered for VNAV at the next waypoint will show in pink.

Hey all,

In response to a few specific questions, I did another flight last night to test the areas people were concerned about, so the following are my findings:

FLCH: Works fairly well, but once you set FLCH to a certain speed, you can't adjust that speed without disarming the A/P, re-trimming the plane to a new speed/climb rate, then reactivate the A/P and select FLCH. Seems to me you should be able to increase/decrease speed, and the plane would adjust, but maybe that's not how the real deal operates.

DTO a waypoint: Yes, this works, kinda. When you select a DTO waypoint, the plane steers to a point a bit prior to the point you selected, but still on the route programmed. In other words, in an A-B-C-D-E flightplan, selecting waypoint D as a direct-to, the CJ2 will steer to a spot on the line between C and D, then turn on a direct course to D. 

Finally, the VNAV function is completely useless. The altitude constraints will reset to 28,000 if you change the STAR or Approach, and would have to be re-programmed. Also, it begins to descend to the next constraint once you cross a waypoint. So, cross C @ 36k, but need to be at 30K for waypoint D, and the CJ2 will immediately begin to descend, even if Waypoint D is 300 miles away. It just feels like a gradual, 300 mile descent is unrealistic.

Anyway, I hope these answers help. I still love the plane. I just have to learn how to actually fly it.

• Upvote 1

Alright... so not working well but working better than previous iterations....  at least they are going in the right direction!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

FLCH: Works fairly well, but once you set FLCH to a certain speed, you can't adjust that speed without disarming the A/P, re-trimming the plane to a new speed/climb rate, then reactivate the A/P and select FLCH. Seems to me you should be able to increase/decrease speed, and the plane would adjust, but maybe that's not how the real deal operates.

Thanks instead of FLC use VS it will work that way - just up or lower the VS a bit and it will then climb or descend to the next alt in the fms - not ideal but one less thing to worry about works great with VS

Rich Sennett

Alright... so not working well but working better than previous iterations....  at least they are going in the right direction!

I agree, at least it's better....but not good.  The GTN is a must IMO.   Sorry to see Bert is too busy.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Hi Bill, I am still here... just busy with family, work etc.. I have been flying Beechjets the last 9 years, then a Falcon 2000 - but that just ended the other day, now I am off to fly a Hawker 800 .... at  a new job but a far better boss.

Sorry to see Bert is too busy.
I believe Bert does not have this plane. I think he is too busy enjoying his RA Legacy V2  :smile:

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

DTO a waypoint: Yes, this works, kinda. When you select a DTO waypoint, the plane steers to a point a bit prior to the point you selected, but still on the route programmed. In other words, in an A-B-C-D-E flightplan, selecting waypoint D as a direct-to, the CJ2 will steer to a spot on the line between C and D, then turn on a direct course to D. 

Thanks for the report, but it is piloting not playing horse shoes, close don't count when you are miles off your point in BRNAV airspace. 

I tired to help Carenado get this fixed in the C90GTi and they said it could not be done. I think it was an unwillingness as there are plenty of examples of direct to working in other products. I provided the procedures from the Collins manual in the other thread, it might help if everyone who owns this aircraft and the C90GTi were to submit support tickets. 

Thanks for the report, but it is piloting not playing horse shoes, close don't count when you are miles off your point in BRNAV airspace. 

I tired to help Carenado get this fixed in the C90GTi and they said it could not be done. I think it was an unwillingness as there are plenty of examples of direct to working in other products. I provided the procedures from the Collins manual in the other thread, it might help if everyone who owns this aircraft and the C90GTi were to submit support tickets. 

Reading your post Ken, it sounds like you may have an idea how to fix some of the NAV faults with Carenados.

If you can fix then...  do you know what kind of Hero and Godsend you would be ?

You would have people bowing to you in the street ,  sending you gifts and  Hey, you might even be nominated for President....

If you've got ideas about how to fix the code but don't want to go ahead with them,  can you let others know.  to maybe give them a chance to...

Thanks...

PS  How many Carenado planes would be great if the NAV,  FLC issues were fixed ?

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

Reading your post Ken, it sounds like you may have an idea how to fix some of the NAV faults with Carenados.

If you can fix then...  do you know what kind of Hero and Godsend you would be ?

You would have people bowing to you in the street ,  sending you gifts and  Hey, you might even be nominated for President....

If you've got ideas about how to fix the code but don't want to go ahead with them,  can you let others know.  to maybe give them a chance to...

Thanks...

PS  How many Carenado planes would be great if the NAV,  FLC issues were fixed ?

The code is locked inside of a .DLL 

Only Carenado can fix it.

I'm no Bert but I was able to get the GTN750 in place of the FMC. You can't click on it, map display only, but it does drive the display. To program it I use the pop-up.

However, I can't get the autopilot to use it as a Nav source so it is pretty much useless. 

If anyone has any ideas on something obvious I am missing let me know. 

Otherwise it's back to the "fly the original flight plan or else" FMC.

Eddie
KABQ

I'm no Bert but I was able to get the GTN750 in place of the FMC. You can't click on it, map display only, but it does drive the display. To program it I use the pop-up.

However, I can't get the autopilot to use it as a Nav source so it is pretty much useless. 

If anyone has any ideas on something obvious I am missing let me know. 

Otherwise it's back to the "fly the original flight plan or else" FMC.

Hi Eddie,

I had the same problem getting the GTN to couple up with the auto pilot.  Ray Marshall helped me get it fixed.  Here is what he told me: "Two things to look at. Did you right click on the SD card slot in the upper left corner of the GTN and select the FlightSim GPS and if yes, then copy one of your F1 GTN.ini files over to the CJ2 panel folder. It could be either."  In my case the F1 GTN.ini file was not in the panel folder.  Also, I found you have to enter the destination in the G1000 in order to get the "nav" button to engage.  Hope that helps.

Bill

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Hi Bill, I am still here... just busy with family, work etc.. I have been flying Beechjets the last 9 years, then a Falcon 2000 - but that just ended the other day, now I am off to fly a Hawker 800 .... at  a new job but a far better boss.

Hi Peter,

A better boss in that line of work is huge.  Glad to hear that part.  And, the Hawker looks like a nice ride.  Thanks for the update.

Take care,

Bill

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Hey guys I think the FLC works pretty good. There is a bit of misunderstanding about when and how to use it. You can change the speed with the wheel on the AP. What No one seems to understand is that in most cases you need to add thrust for the FLC to kick in and retard thrust if using FLC for descents. None of them work well at altitude and none are designed to set and forget.

I think this one is real close to the real one. The Flight Safety PTM explains it quite well and this CJ2 works like FSI describes it. I know the AP speed wheel works on my system with VS and FLC.

My WiFi router got fried last night by a nearby lightning strike so I am using my phone hot spot to send this. I will copy the info from the PTM and test it out during the next week or so. I will try to upload a tested short tutorial for using FLC in the CJ2 to the library.

For now, just don't take all these posts as facts or how it should work as factual.

Best Regards,

Ray

• Upvote 2

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .