Sign in to follow this  
08Nova

Prepar3D or FSX ?!

Hello, I'm going to buy a new computer in the next 6/7 months so I wanna some advice from you guys if possible  :hi:

CPU → Intel Core i5 4440 3.1Ghz UP to 3.3GHz
GPU → NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 4GB ( ASUS / GIGABYTE / MSI / EVGA ? )
MB →  MSI B85 / Socket 1150

RAM → KINGSTONE DDR3 8GB 1600MHz
HDD → 1TB WD ( I don't know which one Black or Blue ) 
POWER S → ANTEC 600W

My question is could I run P3D V3 with that configuration or not ?, thank you so much guys for your help ! Maybe I will add a watercooling later..  :wink:

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Sofiane Al Qasimi.

On that hardware FSX + the DX10 fixer

I think you will be able to run P3D with decent settings. My GPU is on par with yours (GTX770 4GB) and I run P3Dv3.2 at a resolution of 5980x1080, locked at 30fps with the Majestic Dash 8 at payware airports and AI traffic. Settings are at medium. It just runs like a dream. Don't ask yourself the question which sim, just go with P3D! You will save yourself from a lot of headaches. I'm telling you this because I've used FSX for years and I still found myself a few months ago searching for tweaks to get a stable and smooth sim. It just isn't worth the effort..

On that hardware FSX + the DX10 fixer

I see so will FSX run smooth ? 

I think you will be able to run P3D with decent settings. My GPU is on par with yours (GTX770 4GB) and I run P3Dv3.2 at a resolution of 5980x1080, locked at 30fps with the Majestic Dash 8 at payware airports and AI traffic. Settings are at medium. It just runs like a dream. Don't ask yourself the question which sim, just go with P3D! You will save yourself from a lot of headaches. I'm telling you this because I've used FSX for years and I still found myself a few months ago searching for tweaks to get a stable and smooth sim. It just isn't worth the effort..

So you mean I can go for P3D ? with cockpit shadow ? not max settings but good setting to be smooth any chance ? or bad config ?

Sofiane Al Qasimi.

Just make sure you don't try P3D first. 

Because if you do, going back to FSX without all the shadow/lighting options, pop-free autogen, extended autogen radius, VAS improvements, etc. will bug you. 

• Upvote 1

You can run P3D on just about any DX11 capable PC/GPU (which the 960 is).  If you dial the P3D graphics options down to FSX levels, then P3D will operate at a higher FPS and be much smoother than FSX.

So those specs will be a win in either case, if you start to use P3D graphics options that FSX doesn't have like:

1.  HDR

2.  Tessellation

3.  Dynamic Reflections

4.  Many additional Shadow Options

5.  Cloud Shadows

6.  Volumetric Fog

7.  Additional reflections options

Initially run your P3D at FSX graphics equivalent levels (or close to), then start adding those options above and see at what point your system produces unacceptable FPS/fluidity for you.  Everyone has a difference of opinion on what fluidity and FPS are acceptable.

Cheers, Rob.

So you mean I can go for P3D ? with cockpit shadow ? not max settings but good setting to be smooth any chance ? or bad config ?

Cockpit shadows are set at medium but they still look great. I haven't tried them at a higher setting yet. Even cloud shadows cause almost no drain on performance (on my system at least) when set at 20km and they just look awesome.

Just make sure you don't try P3D first. 

Because if you do, going back to FSX without all the shadow/lighting options, pop-free autogen, extended autogen radius, VAS improvements, etc. will bug you. 

Sincerely I don't wanna make P3D settings higher ( max of max ) just a nice sim with great cockpit shadows and flyable FPS, you got it ?!

You can run P3D on just about any DX11 capable PC/GPU (which the 960 is).  If you dial the P3D graphics options down to FSX levels, then P3D will operate at a higher FPS and be much smoother than FSX.

So those specs will be a win in either case, if you start to use P3D graphics options that FSX doesn't have like:

1.  HDR

2.  Tessellation

3.  Dynamic Reflections

4.  Many additional Shadow Options

5.  Cloud Shadows

6.  Volumetric Fog

7.  Additional reflections options

Initially run your P3D at FSX graphics equivalent levels (or close to), then start adding those options above and see at what point your system produces unacceptable FPS/fluidity for you.  Everyone has a difference of opinion on what fluidity and FPS are acceptable.

Cheers, Rob.

Medium graphic's setting and medium shadow will be good ?

Cockpit shadows are set at medium but they still look great. I haven't tried them at a higher setting yet. Even cloud shadows cause almost no drain on performance (on my system at least) when set at 20km and they just look awesome.

Really ?, awesome !! could send me your config and a screenshot of your P3D in PM please ? 

Guys thank you so much for your help !!

Sofiane Al Qasimi.

Cockpit shadows are not a big hit in P3D. It's a default setting at this point. Everyone uses them, even those with low end systems. 

What these guys are omitting to tell you is that you simply will not get good AA quality with that GPU

You need a minimum of 4xSGSS to get rid of the shimmering in P3D and at that setting you had better be prepared to fly in fair weather only.

I have been sat here all day trying to get decent AA in P3D at my payware airports and at 4xSGSS it starts to become nearly acceptable, not as good as FSX/DX10 but I can live with that, until ASN throws some cloudy weather into the mix and the fps tank.

So if you want cockpit shadows and good AA with that rig then FSX/DX10 will deliver that.

Be aware that some folks here have very good hardware and their experiences are based around that.

That's true, FSX/DX10 can disable AA processing for clouds which helps FPS considerably when flying thru clouds.  Also need to be aware REX will change cloud size settings in P3D shaders will which will reduce performance also (especially with SGSS AA).

AA quality is determine by screen resolution ... in my experience 2K res - 8XMSAA and 4K res - 4XMSAA provide good quality AA in P3D V3.2 (not so for P3D V3.1) without needing SGSS AA.  But in V3.2 others have found that DSR at lower res (1080p) has provided good quality AA.

However with that said, I do feel if you want to experience the best P3D has to offer, then a better CPU and a better GPU would be in order (min 5820 or 6700 CPU and 970 GPU).  If you want to run more then you'll want more exotic solutions like mine or others. 

If budget is strict, I would not spend the money on water cooling unless it's cheap (<$100) ... you can get good OC levels on quality air cooler only and put that money saved towards better CPU/GPU ... balance is key ... a very good GPU and a very poor CPU isn't going to work well.  FSX favors CPU performance over GPU performance, P3D favors both CPU and GPU.

But since AA was NOT a criteria in the OPs original post I can only recommend what is known.  I do agree, if AA is the most important aspect for you and you're on a very tight budget, then you will get better AA performance out of FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

Also need to be aware REX will change cloud size settings in P3D shaders will which will reduce performance also (especially with SGSS AA).

Thanks Rob, I have just put my clouds shader back to it's default, not cool that REX does this unannounced.

However with that said, I do feel if you want to experience the best P3D has to offer, then a better CPU and a better GPU would be in order (min 5820 or 6700 CPU and 970 GPU). If you want to run more then you'll want more exotic solutions like mine or others.

I am quickly coming to that conclusion, my 570 cannot cope with 4xSGSS with P3D but has no issues with this setting in FSX.

While monitoring CPU and GPU it seems my i52500K @ 4.7Ghz is coping well enough, but the GTX570 chokes on dense clouds.

So it seems I need to look at better hardware but it's hard to justify when FSX/DX10 is running so smoothly for me no matter what I throw at it.

Thank you so much for your help guys !, so I will stay on FSX + DX10 Fixer that the best idea for my futur config, thank's all :D

Sofiane Al Qasimi.