Sign in to follow this  
hlender

Uncontrolled airports Getting IFR clearance

I have been having trouble getting IFR clearance when I operate out of a uncontrolled airport. To be specific KENL. Centralia Ill. When I try to call MKC Center I get no reply. In real life you can Phone call FSS and get a void time. Or you can call when off the ground and file that way. I have tried also to file once I'l off the ground but I get no response. I downloaded Pilot2ATC update version 20011. When I fly out of a controlled airport everything operates ok.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Harry

Harry thanks for the report.

Normally P2A would let you make the request for IFR Release to Center or Departure  if they are listed for that airport, or the tower of a nearby airport(within 25NM).  In the case of KENL there is no listed Departure or Center.  However if you open the Freq Window to the right of the map, there are two Centers within On-Ground Range of 25 NM - KC Ctr and NA55 Ctr.

I picked the OIHS?KC Ctr on 127.7 and was told to contact Center on 126.22.  I then asked for IFR Clearance and was given it.  After successful readback, they told me to contact Center on 127.7.  When number one for the active, I made the SayIt call for IFR Release and was given the release.

I think the key in this case was starting with a center frequency that was listed in the Frequency window and requesting Clearance first.  Although on one attempt, I asked for release before the clearance and was told I had not received clearance yet, so I asked for it and received it.

I do see where there will arise situations where there are no nearby Center, Departure or Tower frequencies, so I have added UNICOM as an alternative source for IFR Clearance and Release.  While not true to real world, we can think of contacting UNICOM on the radio as the equivalent of dialing Center on our cell phone.

Thanks again,

Dave

Will Unicom be available at uncontrolled airports for announcing

Taxi and takeoff in the future? I see nothing for say it and

I usually will get unhandled exception if I try.

RICK

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

Harry thanks for the report.

Normally P2A would let you make the request for IFR Release to Center or Departure  if they are listed for that airport, or the tower of a nearby airport(within 25NM).  In the case of KENL there is no listed Departure or Center.  However if you open the Freq Window to the right of the map, there are two Centers within On-Ground Range of 25 NM - KC Ctr and NA55 Ctr.

I picked the OIHS?KC Ctr on 127.7 and was told to contact Center on 126.22.  I then asked for IFR Clearance and was given it.  After successful readback, they told me to contact Center on 127.7.  When number one for the active, I made the SayIt call for IFR Release and was given the release.

I think the key in this case was starting with a center frequency that was listed in the Frequency window and requesting Clearance first.  Although on one attempt, I asked for release before the clearance and was told I had not received clearance yet, so I asked for it and received it.

I do see where there will arise situations where there are no nearby Center, Departure or Tower frequencies, so I have added UNICOM as an alternative source for IFR Clearance and Release.  While not true to real world, we can think of contacting UNICOM on the radio as the equivalent of dialing Center on our cell phone.

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi Dave;

Thanks so much for your reply. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know the results. Sounds like it will work. 

Thanks again for your help

Harry

Harry,

It may work in 200.11.  I realized after I wrote my reply that I was working in pre-release 200.12.  SO it will work in 200.12 for sure.  Worth a try in 200.11.

Dave

Rick,

It should work now.  Use the same terminology as for CTAF.  However, you are correct that the phrases are not in SayIt.  I will add that to my list of ToDos.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Dave

Harry,

It may work in 200.11.  I realized after I wrote my reply that I was working in pre-release 200.12.  SO it will work in 200.12 for sure.  Worth a try in 200.11.

Dave

Rick,

It should work now.  Use the same terminology as for CTAF.  However, you are correct that the phrases are not in SayIt.  I will add that to my list of ToDos.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Dave

Hi Dave;

I did try it with some success with 200.11. I contacted OIHS?KC Ctr on 127.7 and was given Clrnc but no other assigned freq. Just told to contact cntr when ready to taxi on 127.7. Couldn't get beyond that point. I see 20012 isn't ready for download yet. I'll keep plugging away with 200.11 until 20012 is ready for download.

​BTW even though a lot of trial and error I am learning a lot getting back in the swing of things. Your software program is great. Makes me think. Can't say enough about  Pilot2ATC. It's great. Thanks for all your efforts. 

Very satisfied customer.

Harry 

Hi Dave;

I did try it with some success with 200.11. I contacted OIHS?KC Ctr on 127.7 and was given Clrnc but no other assigned freq. Just told to contact cntr when ready to taxi on 127.7. Couldn't get beyond that point. I see 20012 isn't ready for download yet. I'll keep plugging away with 200.11 until 20012 is ready for download.

​BTW even though a lot of trial and error I am learning a lot getting back in the swing of things. Your software program is great. Makes me think. Can't say enough about  Pilot2ATC. It's great. Thanks for all your efforts. 

Very satisfied customer.

Harry 

Hi Dave:

Success. But let me explain. Everything went routine as I explained in the previous post up until I was ready for T/O. I tried to call for clearance release but couldn't quencycontact ATC. They kept saying "Check Frequency". After several attempts I decided to T/O and contact Cntr in the air. When I was climbing and heading toward ENL VOR I was able to contact cntr but they said my fltplan had expired and to refile a new fltplan. I did and everything was routine from that point on.

Except for STL Approach trying to clear me for an ILS to RWY 29   which does not exist in my data bank but is a real rwy at KSTL.  Do know anyway I can update my FSX Scenery to show Runway 29?? I tried to request and approach to rwy 30L but each time they refused.

Other than that the flt went  fine.

I'm still checking for the 20012 update.

Thanks for helping

Harry

Harry,

Check out the pinned forum post on Flight Plan Importing and Exporting.  It has a link to a sight that provides updated scenery information for FSX/P3D in .bgl format.  Be sure to read their instructions carefully and back up your original scenery files, but I understand it works well for most users.

Dave

Hi Dave:

I flew the same flt out of KENL as before but with V20012. Nothing changed. I still got my clearance on the ground but when I tried to get a clearance release no response. So I took off and attempted to contact ATC in the air. They told me, again, that my Flight PLan had expired and to file a new one. After that, everything when great. I had installed new scenery for KSTL with the new RWY !!/29. Piece of cake. Learning as I go. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted as I go along. Everytime I fly with your software I learn something new.

Thanks Again

Harry