Scott,

Oops, when I loaded up the Red, White and Black one with the white belly, I remembered that I had already assigned N158M to it. Here is what it looks like.

I have that one also, but as N153Y with some extra work on the tail. I like the crimson color paint also.

Regards,

Ray

N158M.jpg

pic1_1024a.jpg

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

If not, I have the same paint scheme in Red, White and Black with no registration number assigned. Just waiting for a new owner to show up.

Regards,

Ray

Looks very nice, I know you already said you have little time for painting at the moment but do you think you'd be able to add a german registration to it? :smile:

Jan

Hey Richard, is OY-CTN available anywhere? :)

Hi Guys here is a link to four of them read the readme please

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-cAHnyMVBgfcXZvdktJa1JCZ00/view

Great work Ray - few more to follow - almost done - one will be way different than Carenado's versions - I think you will like it

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Looks very nice, I know you already said you have little time for painting at the moment but do you think you'd be able to add a german registration to it? :smile:

Jan

Jan,

I only added an original German model yesterday. So far I painted U.K., German, Brazil, and American models. I think a Canadian and Aussie model should next.

Regards,

Ray

Jan,

I only added an original German model yesterday. So far I painted U.K., German, Brazil, and American models. I think a Canadian and Aussie model should next.

Regards,

Ray

Looks like it takes a lot of patience to create these too :wink:

egfB87T.jpg?1

Please complete the attached form for a full refund.

Ray

Looks like it takes a lot of patience to create these too :wink:

Much more than you know, Jan. But, because I was doing these difficult repaints only because no one else would even attempt them and it is certainly not enjoyable work, you have convinced me there is no positive payback for my feeble efforts.

Thanks to you I am officially retiring from contributing any more free repaints to the community. I will stick with writing reviews, which is more rewarding to me.

Best Regards,

Ray

Ray its thankless job sometimes that I can attest to thats for sure - you have done great work - I will take care of this asap and pass the files to you if you wish - fighting a wisdom tooth issue and cant get it out until next Friday as you have to bee on anti-biotics for 10 days - again thank you for your efforts many have no idea what it takes to do these - the Carando painter must be a rocket scientist  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Ray

Much more than you know, Jan. But, because I was doing these difficult repaints only because no one else would even attempt them and it is certainly not enjoyable work, you have convinced me there is no positive payback for my feeble efforts.

Thanks to you I am officially retiring from contributing any more free repaints to the community. I will stick with writing reviews, which is more rewarding to me.

Best Regards,

Ray

Even though I added a little wink there, I was acutally being serious :smile: I wanted to add a flag to a livery of the Citation and was very confused when I opened one of the texture files. I've often heard about the difficulties of painting Carenados planes but I didn't expect to find something this muddled (do they use a different method of texturing these?). Anyways, I absolutely agree with you. If a comment like this by a single person makes you want to stop creating/publishing repaints to the public you should definitely stop doing it. Life is way too short and the community way too small to spend so much time on stuff like this if you feel that you don't get out of it what you deserve. Maybe donationware would be a way to go.

Jan

Even though I added a little wink there, I was acutally being serious :smile: I wanted to add a flag to a livery of the Citation and was very confused when I opened one of the texture files. I've often heard about the difficulties of painting Carenados planes but I didn't expect to find something this muddled (do they use a different method of texturing these?). Anyways, I absolutely agree with you. If a comment like this by a single person makes you want to stop creating/publishing repaints to the public you should definitely stop doing it. Life is way too short and the community way too small to spend so much time on stuff like this if you feel that you don't get out of it what you deserve. Maybe donationware would be a way to go.

Jan

Thanks Jan,

Yes, you did hit a raw nerve and the wink didn't help very much. I also added a wink to my reply.

But, then I decided I would show you what was actually involved in preparing just this one D-IRMA repaint. Sure, the real repainters know how to create their own paint kit when the developer does not provide one, as in the Carenado and Alabeo models. To date not one has stepped up with a workable paint kit so it is up to us amateurs to stumble through the flipping, twisting, turning, mirroring and then the alpha sheets and bump maps and spec sheets, and on and on.

It is one thing to delete the color from the bottom of a Carenado model or to copy the tail of one to the tail of another, but it is totally a different ball game to create a repaint from scratch, especially with straight lines or stripes along the fuselage. There are four or five individual pieces that have to match perfectly and they are not adjacent to each other and the door is flipped and mirrored with a slight twist and all the noses have some distortion in the models. The vertical tail alone has three non-matching pieces for each side, left and right, and you can't just flip one over to the other side. The rudder and the rudder trim do not align with each other and they are in separate files from the vertical stabilizer.

I took a look at my effort for the D-IRMA repaint and I have two major folders for my working documents. Most are very large files but a majority of the jpegs and incremental work files total 200 flles and use 1.40 GB of data. The actual texture files used to test the flight models is another 174 files and an additional 1.28 GB of data. This repaint took me about 6 weeks of fairly steady work, some days up to 8 hours a day, when I was on a roll.

So you may have a better feel for why your little gig pushed me over the edge. Who knows, maybe it was a good thing.

Some time in the future, I might make some custom repaints for special requests - for those that truly appreciate the time and effort required for some of these simple looking paint schemes, but you can bet your last German Mark or Euro that I will not be putting them up for free downloads.

Best Regards,

Ray

D-IRMA working folder 1.6GB 200 files.JPG

Texture files for D-IRMA additional 174 files and 1.6GB repaint.JPG

Oh, and to make sure no one else has to suffer with the mangled tail stripes I will be asking the Avsim Librarian to remove this one from the download library.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Jan,

Yes, you did hit a raw nerve and the wink didn't help very much. I also added a wink to my reply.

But, then I decided I would show you what was actually involved in preparing just this one D-IRMA repaint. Sure, the real repainters know how to create their own paint kit when the developer does not provide one, as in the Carenado and Alabeo models. To date not one has stepped up with a workable paint kit so it is up to us amateurs to stumble through the flipping, twisting, turning, mirroring and then the alpha sheets and bump maps and spec sheets, and on and on.

It is one thing to delete the color from the bottom of a Carenado model or to copy the tail of one to the tail of another, but it is totally a different ball game to create a repaint from scratch, especially with straight lines or stripes along the fuselage. There are four or five individual pieces that have to match perfectly and they are not adjacent to each other and the door if flipped and mirrored with a slight twist and all the noses have some distortion in the models. The vertical tail alone has three non-matching pieces for each side, left and right, and you can't just flip one over to the other side. The rudder and the rudder trim do not align with each other and they are in separate files from the vertical stabilizer.

I took a look at my effort for the D-IRMA repaint and I have two major folders for my working documents. Most are very large files but a majority of the jpegs and incremental work files total 200 flles and use 1.40 GB of data. The actual texture files used to test the flight models is another 174 files and an additional 1.28 GB of data. This repaint took me about 6 weeks of fairly steady work, some days up to 8 hours a day, when I was on a roll.

So you may have a better feel for why you little prank pushed me over the edge. Who knows, maybe it was a good thing.

Some time in the future, I might make some custom repaints for special requests - for those that truly appreciate the time and effort required for some of these simple looking paint schemes, but you can bet your last German Mark or Euro that I will not be putting them up for free downloads.

Best Regards,

Ray

That's very impressive. I indeed didn't expect it to be this much work though. Do you have an explanation why the textures are chopped up like this? I don't really unterstand why they would create them that way.

That's very impressive. I indeed didn't expect it to be this much work though. Do you have an explanation why the textures are chopped up like this? I don't really unterstand why they would create them that way.

No idea. But, that is why you see so few Carenado repaints. I asked the head dude at Carenado about it and all I remember from his response was the 'Painter' gets more bang for the buck doing it this way and can use 4096 textures with less impact on the FPS when he only uses 2 sheets, or something along those lines.

You got to admit the Caenado/Alabeo models are the envy of the community.

Ray

The reason the sheets are the way they are is the modeler doesnt know how to un-wrap the model to make it user friendly for the next guy who has to paint it - thats what it really comes down to - the model un-wrap stage is very important for repainting a model and takes a lot longer to un-wrap a model to make it easier for the end user to paint - how do you think they keep pumping out all of these products

They have been using the same modeler since Carenado was born as it has always been this way in his defense his modeling is great but un-wrapping skills or tool he is using is un orthodox imo

Rich Sennett

Okay, I have sent the request to have D-IRMA removed from the library files. Maybe everyone will treat this mangled tail stripes copy as a beta release. There will not be any follow on copies added back to the library.

Best Regards,

Ray