Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

To P3D or not to

hello all

... my FSX acts erratically, so I'm thinking of reinstall & at the same time upgrading to WIN10,  thus my dilemma is

does it make any sense to:

• Upgrade to Window10 yes/ no ? 
  • Move to P3D yes/no ?  ​

My spec:

(Upgrading at the moment is not an option)

• AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black addition
  • AMD Radeon R9-280X 3GB
  • 2 SSD HD dedicated, one for the OS & one for the Sim  
  • 8GB DDR3 PC1333
  • 42" Plasma TV
  • 2 15" widescreen on Matrox TripleHead2go

Controls & Panels:

• VRInshgt M-Panel (Have no idea if they came out with compatible WIn10 & P3D Drivers)
  • Saitek Yoke Rudder Pedals, Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, Quadrant
  • Few GoFlight modules        

Current Add-ons:

• Genesis for MASH  (Not even sure how to implement in PD3)
  • FTX Global
  • FTX Vector
  • FTX SoCal
  • FTX NorCal  
  • Open cloud for weather

I'm GA guy that fly most of the time in CA using PilotEdge live ATC service

Any comments / idea will be highly appreciated

Cheers

Yair

One thing that i like in Win 10 is to have task bar in the second monitor ,

all the icon are in the second monitor easy acces with out minimizing the

Sim ,

your GPU is a big concern with P3D ...

CPU too ...

Genesis for MASH (Not even sure how to implement in PD3)
[/quote

Hi Yair, I use Genesis mesh in P3D. Use the latest version of the Estonia Migration tool and download it where you won't to put it in P3D....that's it.

Regards

Lamar Wright

... so, just stick to FSX, ha ....

Estonia Migration tool​, heard about them ..tnx

Yair

I'll add strong support for P3D.  Just tonight I removed the last traces of FSX from my computer (VRS TacPack and Bug in open public testing for v3.2).  P3D runs smoother with better graphics for me.  I can't speak much for Win 10.  I recently got a new laptop with Win 10 and overall like it, but haven't been convinced strongly enough to switch from Win 7 yet on my flight simulator machine.

Eric Szczesniak

.I assume that moving to P3D is a natural move and it is only a matter of time that FSX will fade, however, and with respect to my aging HW I'm kind of hesitating, not sure what to expect and I don't want to waste && and end up with Simulator that doesn't function

AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black addition
AMD Radeon R9-280X 3GB

In all honesty your machine will struggle, If you dial back P3D settings far enough you may get reasonable performance but what's the point of that ?

.I assume that moving to P3D is a natural move and it is only a matter of time that FSX will fade, however, and with respect to my aging HW I'm kind of hesitating, not sure what to expect and I don't want to waste && and end up with Simulator that doesn't function

Don't let me be the only opinion in your decision.  With that said, I think the GPU is the place to look regarding this decision.  FSX and P3D are heavily CPU bound, but P3D with DX10/11 has managed to offload a good amount of the demand to the GPU.  I have a GTX 770 and am wishing a bit I had an 970/980.  A weak CPU will do you no good on either.  A good CPU with a poor GPU will be best served on FSX.  A good CPU/mediocre GPU will be a gray zone.  And a good CPU with a good GPU will benefit from P3D. 

Eric Szczesniak

Best bet is to buy P3D and use the 60 day money back offer or the $10 a month subscription if it performs poorly on you hardware..

That way you get to test it for yourself with your addons.

Nothing to lose but a bit of time setting it up.

... .yep, 60 days will give an idea ... however, I start to get the feeling that this 'Hobby" is getting to fancy and expensive, and require to spend to much time of tweaking and setting instead of flying, it is a constant chase after your own tail, Sisyphus syndrome, the life span of those fancy shmancy $600 GPU / CPU are considerably short and soon they become underpowered and obsolete .... I think I'll adhere to FSX and will try to find the comfortable zone for me and my Rig, after all,  my Saitek's controllers and GoFligh Panels are working well, Open Cloud for Weather satisfy my needs for realism and Geneses Mesh does the job pretty well with no impact on performance ..so the only issue is to fins something "light" to sub FTX, which seems like real performance killer, any idea ????

Cheers & tnx you all for your comments  

Yair

BTW

I'm a RW student pilot that his main goal is to use the Sim for training

IMO with your hardware I would say no to both. But you might want to get Win 10 anyway since it's free for a limited time only.

I'm a RW student pilot that his main goal is to use the Sim for training

What's your current investment? The next step up for you may be FSX-SE, rather than P3D.  How real do you like your env.? Do you care about cloud shadows? Autogen Pop-up? Many have come to P3D and came back to FSX (or FSX-SE).  I would say if you only use this for training, get FSX-SE, all your stuffs bought for FSX will still work.  P3D has so so AA, so shimmering will drive you nuts if you look for them.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

..what are the advantages of the SE edition over my conventional acceleration, should I expect better performance, with my current setup (Nick & Costa tweaks) CPU is OC to 4.2 everything look very good & stable, things got hectic when I start to add on FTX and kind of heavy stuff, my goal is just to improve the terrain, so I'm wondering if there is anything in the market that I can use without a dramatic impact on my performance

Cheers

Yair     

should I expect better performance
Yes.  There are plenty of material on the net testifying this benefit.  SE also will run on Win8 to 10 and possible future OS as well.  The caveat is that some addon like the RXP GNS will not work or anything from RXP.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

What's your current investment? The next step up for you may be FSX-SE, rather than P3D.  How real do you like your env.? Do you care about cloud shadows? Autogen Pop-up? Many have come to P3D and came back to FSX (or FSX-SE).  I would say if you only use this for training, get FSX-SE, all your stuffs bought for FSX will still work.  P3D has so so AA, so shimmering will drive you nuts if you look for them.

FSX-SE is like putting lipstick on a pig.  It's still a pig. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310