Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Blurry in distance and ring of autogen...any fix?

Something that has been really bothering me in P3D v3.2 is the what is happening within the LOD radius and what happens out side of it.  Inside you get very sharp textures and fully populated autogen, outside...blurry flat lands.  It looks really awful with such a sharp demarkation between autogen and then nothing.  I setup a side by side comparison in FSX-SE and I noticed that the distance is also blurry but the autogen is either much smaller or seems to fade evenly in the distance so you don't really notice the abrupt change between autogen and no autogen.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else sees the same thing and is there a fix?  Please note that I have autogen vegetation and buildings in P3D set to "normal" but the effect is the same regardless of level (with exception of off).

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I see the same thing over the rainforest. Just a ring of trees and then nothing. Must be the autogen draw distance.

I doubt this effect can be completely eliminated, however, it strongly depends on one of the most overlooked P3D variables, i.e. zoom setting. I use a zoom setting of 1.0 in conjunction with Wide-view on, which mitigates the issue considerably. Choosing smaller zoom values makes them more pronounced. At least that's what I observe.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I doubt this effect can be completely eliminated, however, it strongly depends on one of the most overlooked P3D variables, i.e. zoom setting. I use a zoom setting of 1.0 in conjunction with Wide-view on, which mitigates the issue considerably. Choosing smaller zoom values makes them more pronounced. At least that's what I observe.

Kind regards, Michael

Great tip. I will have to mess around with Ezdok to see if I can get that to work

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I use a .90 zoom typically and this effect is still awful. Especially if the sun is low and behind all the houses are lit up then sudden blury darkness at the LOD radius. It almost has me running back to FSX until this improves, but there are so many other great things with P3D I'll live with it.

Great tip. I will have to mess around with Ezdok to see if I can get that to work

Mark I think this helps not sure you are using it - try .3 to .5 and anything in between

Place under main category in P3D.CFG file - doesnt matter where as P3D will move it

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.35

Rich Sennett

I use a .90 zoom typically and this effect is still awful. Especially if the sun is low and behind all the houses are lit up then sudden blury darkness at the LOD radius. It almost has me running back to FSX until this improves, but there are so many other great things with P3D I'll live with it.

Together with Wideview=True? If Wideview=False, there is a corresponding figure to get essentially the same view which last figure depends on the aspect ratio of your montor, though.

Would you guys at least agree zoom setting has an influence on autogen/sharp scenery popping or not?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Mark I think this helps not sure you are using it - try .3 to .5 and anything in between

Place under main category in P3D.CFG file - doesnt matter where as P3D will move it

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.35

If you do NOT add this to the config a setting of 0.33 will be used so adding a setting of 0.35 won't make any difference at all.

This setting tells the sim how much time to use for scenery loading. Low numbers will give less time to it, resulting in blurries, and high numbers will give more time to loading, resulting in stutters. I personally don't use the tweak. I also doubt if it helps at all with the mentioned 'ring' because it won't change the LOD in any way.

Sorry disagree Fiber works here - blurry without it

Rich Sennett

Since installing P3D ver 3.23 I've left out the FFTF 

Looking at the mechanics of how it worked in FSX.

for a frame rate of 30  which would give 10000/30 = 33.33ms / frame

for a FFTF value of .33 gives a value of 33.33x.33 = 11ms

in a 4 core set up

core 0 is responsible for fibers

core 1 is responsible for main scheduler

core 2 &3 are responsible for Texture management and object batching

therefore the time given for fibers to co-operate with main scheduler is 11ms to render the texture/autogen to cores 3&4.

so increasing the FFTF value will give more time and so on.

increasing it to .35 = 1000/30 x .35 =11.6 ms

I use and good results with

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=33

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=33

by using the same value means no increase in Texture Loading.

I did come across a comment in a posting from 2010 that the reason why the default value of FFTF=.33 was because( after testing )the best time allocation for the Fibers to communicate with the Main scheduler was 10ms.
now this is for FSX back when processors speeds where different.

bob

Since installing P3D ver 3.23 I've left out the FFTF 

Looking at the mechanics of how it worked in FSX.

for a frame rate of 30  which would give 10000/30 = 33.33ms / frame

for a FFTF value of .33 gives a value of 33.33x.33 = 11ms

in a 4 core set up

core 0 is responsible for fibers

core 1 is responsible for main scheduler

core 2 &3 are responsible for Texture management and object batching

therefore the time given for fibers to co-operate with main scheduler is 11ms to render the texture/autogen to cores 3&4.

so increasing the FFTF value will give more time and so on.

increasing it to .35 = 1000/30 x .35 =11.6 ms

I use and good results with

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=33

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=33

by using the same value means no increase in Texture Loading.

I did come across a comment in a posting from 2010 that the reason why the default value of FFTF=.33 was because( after testing )the best time allocation for the Fibers to communicate with the Main scheduler was 10ms.
now this is for FSX back when processors speeds where different.

bob

Interesting have to try this - found out using those low values such as .1 crashes my sim - thanks 

Rich Sennett

You can push trees out a bit further in the cfg and max out the autogen LOD by making the value zero. FFTF and TBM will not increase autogen draw radius.

AUTOGEN_BATCH_LOD=2 < 0 draws the maximum autogen

AUTOGEN_TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE=9500.000000 < this has a hard limit of 12000. or 13000.

AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000 < again there is a limit, but can't remember

Sorry disagree Fiber works here - blurry without it

Hi Richard, is that your fiber setting "0.35" ?  Thanks

Regards

Lamar Wright

Hi Richard, is that your fiber setting "0.35" ?  Thanks

.4 or .5 works better but tried without and seems the same so maybe it is useless have to test more Lamar

Rich Sennett