Folks buying a Skylake processor take notice that Microsoft is ending support for non Windows 10 operating systems with Skylake processors support ending mid 2017.  Additionally certain components associated with the Skylake processor may not function under non Windows 10 OS, ie. USB3 and others.

Use of non Windows 10 operating systems on Skylake chips is not recommended.

I am not sure if this information was previously posted but I see several folks looking to make Skylake purchases on non W10 OS and wanted to get it out there.

Save yourself a headache and do your homework if planning Skylake and non Windows 10 platform.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's not a big deal really. All those that have opted for W7 will be able to upgrade when the time comes. And by that time W10 will be very stable.

Having said that, my choice was W10 for my new rig. Makes more sense than flirting with potential issues trying to upgrade 7 to 10.

Save yourself a headache

Is it really a headache, they do not support a Pentium 3 on W-XP but that rickety old computer still functions without support, its just Microsoft's scare mongering to get everyone on to W10 so they can cut cost`s.

tpewpb-6.png

I was imparting some information in the spirt of helpfulness with hopes those making a purchase could do additional research and be informed.  I wasn't really looking to debate w7/8 vs. W10 etc. etc.

I am not certain if or how much of a headache use of W7/8 would cause on a Skylake processor.  It depends, there is a difference between "support" and something not functioning. I can live without support, I cannot tolerate something not functioning.

Point I was trying to convey was simply a heads up to those building or upgrading to a Skylake processor that not using W10 may give unexpected results.

More specifically to those people indicating that they are purchasing new operating systems and indicating their choices to be W7/8 with Skylake. It would only be prudent to purchase W10.

My advice is simply do your home work when considering the OS for a Skylake processor with hopes that research will extend beyond these forums.

@Ryan, thxs for the updated information that was useful and constructive.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Point I was trying to convey was simply a heads up to those building or upgrading to a Skylake processor that not using W10 may give unexpected results.

We know Gary, and we appreciate you taking the time to bring this to the attention of those that didn't know.

I wasn't really looking to debate w7/8 vs. W10 etc. etc.

True, but it is a forum, and others will state their opinion.