Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

"Project LOWS 2006" (Salzburg) - anyone have this installed?

I wonder if anyone has this scenery:

http://giannisworld.net/downloads.html

It's a nice freeware representation of LOWS... but (not having flown there for a long time, I don't recall whether it was always like this), all my static ground vehicles have blank textures. The file containing most of the vehicles is LOWS_2006_static_vehicles.bgl  -  I decompiled it in the hope of finding references to bitmaps, but it's all EZ scenery or RWY 12 - like this....

<SceneryObject
  lat="N47 47.41506"
  lon="E012 59.96562"
  alt="0.0000M"
  altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
  pitch="0.00"
  bank="0.00"
  heading="260.00"
  imageComplexity="NORMAL">
  <LibraryObject
    name="668e3f91dfd542be917836d98e081c12"
    scale="1.00"/>
</SceneryObject>

so I have no idea what the textures needed might be (how do you relate that long name string to a texture or object?). I thought I had all the Rwy12/EZ scenery installed, and the manual for LOWS makes no mention as far as I can see of such extras needed as separate downloads..

If you have this, or want to try it out even, I'd be interested to know if the ground vehicles and objects (fuel tankers, stairs etc.) have any textures in your setup.

Thanks.

I just checked myscenery and I do have textures on the ground service vehicles. I did look at the readme file again and it says "Download the Textures from http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=19575:"

I did check that link out but it's no longer available. I have had this scenery installed for a long time now so I don't remember what that avsim link was for or if I have it installed.

There is a lows_2006_lib_static_vehices.bgl.

Decompile it with ModelconverterX to see all used textures...

Hi. I checked again - my 'ReadMe.txt' makes no mention of that. We must be looking at a different file. The manual.doc does show 'Download textures from AVSIM' but that's just for the tree textures, which I have. I can't find a link anywhere in the documentation to http://library.avsim....php?DLID=19575

Not sure I am using ModelConverterX correctly - I import the bgl file and the Event Log shows 'No objects in File'. Does the programme recognise FS9 model objects? I decompiled the bgl using BGLAnalyze: I get an xml file and several mdl files, but I am no nearer to finding what my missing textures are.

I tried copying all the LOWS texture files into the main FS9/texture folder - sometimes does the trick, and sure enough it worked this time. If I can sort out which of the bitmaps are the vehicles I could just move those rather than fill up the main texture folder with unnecessary files....

Just in case anyone ever has the same issue, moving the following files from the LOWS texture folder to the main FS9 texture folder leaves the airport with no blank textures as far as I can see:

actros_512.bmp
actros_512_lm.bmp
airportbus_512.bmp
airportbus_512_lm.bmp
apu.bmp              
apu_lm.bmp           
FS9 Changed Files.txt
packagecar.bmp
packagecar_lm.bmp
panther_512.bmp
panther_512_lm.bmp
pushback_side.bmp    
pushback_side_lm.bmp                
stair_truck.bmp                      
stair_truck_lm.bmp                  
trolly.bmp                        
truck_gutdeutsch.bmp              
truck_ivao.bmp                   
truck_ivao_lm.bmp               
ts_corpus.bmp                    
ts_corpus_lm.bmp                    
VW-Bus_Feuerwehr.bmp              
VW-Bus_Feuerwehr_lm.bmp

I downloaded this morning and installed.  NO problems that were indicated by the OP.  All looks great.

Strange how systems vary. The idea of moving texture that don't show unless you move them to the main FS texture folder is of course an old one and applicable to any airport scenery with a problem, not just this one.

No doubt about it in this case, if I remove the bitmaps from the FS9/Texture folder, buit leave them in the LOWS texture folder, grey vehicles. Move them back and technicolour... Who knows why this is necessary on my system and not on others.

Who knows why this is necessary on my system and not on others.

Very simply, because you have a duplicated object library on your system that the others don't have.

That other copy of the object library is the one the sim is using and it is missing some textures in the paired texture folder.

When you copy those textures from ...\LOWS\texture to ...\FS9\Texture FS can now find them.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Who knows why this is necessary on my system and not on others.

Joe does! :smile:

"A duplicated Object Library" though? As far as I know I have one central object library active. How do I find a 'duplicate' and delete or complete it as necessary? Nothing I would immediately recognise as such in the scenery.cfg file...

An object library is a .bgl file, so it will not show up in the scenery.cfg.

Finding the dupe requires a bit of detective work.

One approach would be to search your addons for some of those textures you referred to earlier.

If not those, then some of the other textures that came with LOWS.

Odds are you will find another scenery addon that will have one or some of them.

When you find the addon, compare the .bgl files in that addon with the .bgl files in LOWS.

You might get lucky enough to find the dupe although the offending file may have been renamed.

If you have Model Converter X you could start dropping the LOWS .bgl files on the MCX Window until you find the object library file(s). MCX will tell you if the files don't contain objects.

Or you could go to LOWS and start disabling your other addons until the texture-less objects start to show their textures. Once they do, you will have found the addon with the duplicate object library.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Joe - when I have a spare afternoon, I'll give it a go!! (No, I will - for curiosity's sake if nothing else).

Thanks for the link: InfoRapid has been one of my 'must have' PC tools for years - I use it very regularly, and not just for FS of course!