Sign in to follow this  
ArtBurkeN4PJ

Why won't my "install" work?

Followed the directions and loaded linda.exe and a few other files (and a couple of folders). I do NOT have an MCP in any form. I just wanted to see what LINDA does, how it works, could it help me with my Flight1 Pilatus, etc.?

Once linda is running if I click on "manual.pdf" instead of the manual, I get the following dialog box:

"A functions file already exists for this aircraft. Do you want to overwrite the file?

I found the manual in the modules/linda/data/docs folder.

Guess I had an attack of the stupids on the "install," such as it is.

I'm moderately computer literate, but I've looked at the instructions so many times (and convinced that's what I have) that I'm going bonkers!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Hi Art

Welcome to LINDA. I am sorry you have hit problems with the install and for pointing out the bug with calling up the manual. I will get that fixed.

LINDA requires 2 parts to work with a particular aircraft. The LINDA core, currently 2.5.7, and a specially written aircraft module. I don't believe a module exists for the Pilatus. In this case it will use the default FSX aircraft module which may not be compatible. Try setting LINDA up to work with a default aircraft like the C172 or Beechcraft B58.

You also need to go to the Setup page to deselect the MCP. Also you a full paid version of FSUIPC4

for LINDA to work.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thank you. I *think* I had my setup so that I did not select the MCP, but I'll double-check. I was trying to get far enough into the usage of LINDA to be able to use the "tracer" function. The F1 Pilatus has tons of "hot mouse" spots instead of key-presses. I like the plane and fly it a lot.

Even with some help from Pete Dowson, mouse macros didn't have much effect on the Pilatus. My version of FSUIPC is registered - that part's fine. I've been studying the Lua aspect and accidentally came across LINDA.

Thanks for your response and assistance. It appears I am actually on the right track! I've been using a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick and it has only 12 buttons. But, between that and a keyboard encoder and FSUIPC, I'm getting further and further away from the keyboard!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Almost forgot - even though the "menu" in LINDA wouldn't get me to the manual, the process wasn't too bad to find the manual and I pulled out a stand-alone version so I could stumble through - along with the beginner's tutorial I found.

Hi Art

I'm pleased you are getting things sorted with LINDA. I have fixed the manual button for the next version. I don't know much about mouse macros and don't use them. Others may be able to help.

Can I ask you to post support questions under the LINDA Support sub-forum next time? Those posted here tend to get overlooked.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

My apologies - I thought I was on the support sub-forum. I think now I see where I should have been!

The mouse macro Pete tried to help me with didn't work. I've been reluctant to buy KEY2MOUSE - there's just so much software that seems like it should work but just doesn't deliver.

Since the plane is an add-on to FSX it will probably require a lot more skill than I possess at the moment. If I knew the Lua language a lot better, it shouldn't be too difficult to identify where

the cursor is on the screen, identify the necessary actions (left-click, rt-click, mouse wheel, etc.) and then figure out how to assign that to a key or button. That's the main reason I was

looking to see if LIINDA could solve my dilemma.

Thanks for your feed back. At least I know now I'm not going crazy!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Since LINDA didn't have what it needs to work with my Pilatus, I finally broke down and purchased KEY2MOUSE. It "glitches" every now and then, but, for the most part, it's quite effective. Once in a while, a switch also gets "reversed." Guess that's life! I also had some reasonable success with LINK2FS, but it's not nearly as flexible as KEY2MOUSE (although the LINK2FS_Mouse was free!).

I had some pretty good success wtih mouse macros on numerous parts of the Pilatus, but it fell apart in a quite a large number of other planes, including "stock" aircraft. Pete explained in an earlier email that this has a lot to do with how the gauge designers are creating things these days.

Thank you for your help and feedback.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL