Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Adding an auto-throttle function to a plane?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello simmers,I would like to add an auto-throttle function to my Dreamwings Dash 8 Q400 (and the other turboprops I have). This is the section I fiddled with in the aircraft.cfg: (Figures I changed have a * next to them).-----------------------------------------------[autopilot]autopilot_available=1*flight_director_available=1*default_vertical_speed=500use_no_default_pitch=0 use_no_default_bank=0 autothrottle_available=1*autothrottle_arming_required=0*autothrottle_takeoff_ga=? :(In addition alt-hold is very erratic.(Later on i realised a figure was missing as you can see above) The only thing that works is the GPS-course tracking function.Could you all please advice? Thanks very much :)

Simply editing the aircraft.cfg won't accomplish the goal... You still would need to add the actual A/T control gauge to the panel.cfg!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ecv737

Is it possible to use one from a freeware a/c that has a/t if author gives permission?Edmundo

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

It's always best to have the authors permission, BUT:1) In some rare cases it's altogether impossible to contact the author.2) If you NEVER release your creation to the public in any way then no worries. As long as it stays for your enjoyment, that's what they're for!-JeremyThe Ozark DogfighterHappy Flying!

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------You still would need to add the actual A/T control gauge to the panel.cfg!-----------------------------------------------Ohhhh! Makes sense now! Thank you all very much for your input :) I was under the impression that all you had to do was change the 0s to 1s in the .cfg http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...con_redface.gif

Actually, if all you want is speed hold, no gauge is needed at all.You need to edit the .air file with something like AirEd and look of the relevant setting to change. Many air files don't even need a change, especially if the files are set to use speedhold without the need for A/T arming. To see what I mean, try flying the Lear and using ctrl+r; you'll see the speed held at whatever speed you were at. Using ctrl+r deselects it.Thinking about it, just try adding this to the AP section of the cfg file first, it may do it without an air file edit:autothrottle_available=1autothrottle_arming_required=0autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1 autothrottle_max_rpm=93.9http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Of course, Paul... Since I rarely use the keyboard to control stuff, I had forgotten about the key-combos available... :-sun1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks again everyone for trying to help :)Paul - I tried your idea but (you knew that was coming lol) it did not work.First I added those lines in the panel.cfg. After that didnt work I loaded up the .air file in Air Ed and added all the autopilot functions which were disabled. I changed them all to "true":Airspeed Hold Available=TRUE(1)A/T Arm Switch Available=TRUE(1)But the same wierdness persists: When autothrottle is selected and armed the throttles advance...but then after about 4 seconds they retard to idle power.I aliased the Q400 plane to two other random panels to make sure and - same problem. So now at least I know its not my panel but a setting in the .cfg or .air file that is causing this.n4gix - you mentioned an A/T guage...would you know what the guage is called? I looked into the .air files of planes that do have working autothrottles (737, A320 etc) and was unable to find it! :(-----PS: I forgot to mention this but I am using the Learjet panel for the Dash 8 Q400. The Learjet I know *does* have autothrottle but using its panel for the Q400 has not resolved the issue. Somethings "disabling" the function in the .air or .cfg!

I'll give you one more idea to try. I had your same experience a couple of years ago and found a way around it that helped. I've looked at two of my turboprop aircraft.cfg files (with autothrottle available) and they both have modified values for the "Autothrottle Max RPM" in the Autopilot section.In one case, I revised the value from 90 to 2800. In another case, I revised it from 150 to 99999. Don't remember where the idea came from. Just try a big number and see what happens.I believe that this kind of mod will keep your throttle from dropping to idle. However, I seem to remember that autothrottle was never very satisfactory with any of the turboprops during all phases of flight.Sorry, but I have no time to verify what I've written. Leaving town shortly and will be gone several days.Hope this helps.Regards,JerryH

>Of course, Paul... Since I rarely use the keyboard to control>stuff, I had forgotten about the key-combos available...>:-sun1 The only reason I remember is that a certain lazy developer uses it on a certain classic airliner that doesn't offically have any kind of auto-throttle :-)http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest ThrottleUp

Result http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/wink/thumb.gifJerryH - your idea worked! In the cruise the Dash 8 Q400 holds airspeed with a +/- 5kt deviation. At lower airspeeds (like during an approach) this increases to about +/- 8kts. As a casual simmer this is just fine by me! Incidentally this is the setting Im using:Autothrottle Max RPM=10000So thanks for that! :)>>>>Todd Nicholson:-----------------------------------------------You need to add those lines to the AP section of the aircraft config. You mentioned you added them to the panel config. Was that just a typo?-----------------------------------------------Yea thats a typo! http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...con_redface.gif>>>>Paul:-----------------------------------------------To use the keyboard shortcut, you need the A/T arm set to false in the air file.-----------------------------------------------Thanks! I changed that setting and now its working fine, with the same deviations mentioned above!>>>>Thanks to you all for your help & input. As JerryH said the autothrottle isn't perfect in FS9 turboprops and Im still curious as to what variable in the .air or .cfg is responsible for this. Im also aware the the real-life Dash 8 probably does not have an A/T but then again that does not bother me as Im not a HRSP (Hyper-Realistic Simmer Person) http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contri...y/corkysm20.gifThanx again and Im off to tweak all the other propjets I have mruahahahaahahaaa http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/ha...lamingdevil.gif

Man, this is an OLD thread! Well, thank God for old threads. I've been pondering this problem all day, searching threads. I finally came to this one, the right one. I've been working on my DHC-2 Beaver from Aerosoft, and I activated the autothrottle, but I couldn't get it to hold my present speed. It would always slow down to 135 knots. I tweaked the aircraft.cfg file, added gauges to the panel.cfg file, and cut and pasted from one air file to another. No suggestions would work for me, as the airspeed remained a steady 135 knots. After reading "THIS" thread, I set my autothrottle_MAX_rpm from 0.90 to 10000, and like magic, it now works as I had hoped. I doubt that any of the original posters are paying any attention to this old thread, but I felt the need to say "Thank you" anyway. This solution was so easy to implement, and test. Don't ever discount a thread by the date it was produced. Someone in 2011 may just need that information.

I was looking through this thread in the hope that someone can help me with swapping over an autopilot.