Is any sort of autopilot-initiated flight level control (altitude hold, FLC, VS, VNAV, etc.) workable in the CJ2? I have the EMB 505 and it blows right through my selected altitude on my climbout. I'll have the bug set to something like FL350 and instead of leveling out, the Phenom just keeps climbing. I know vertical navigation in Carenado products is questionable, just want to see if there's any workable way of not having to hand-fly the entire time.

VS and FLCH both work fine. 

FLCH is a bit wonky... tends to hunt. But as a RW pilot posted the real plane tends to do that. I have never had it fail to level off perfectly at the selected altitude. 

My only beef with it is that on initial climb when you select VS it defaults to 500 fpm. And since you are usually climbing at 3000+ fpm you gotta be fast on that wheel to avoid nosing over and slowing the climb. Not sure what real-world procedure is but I can't imagine it is like that. 

But it's never blown through an altitude for me. Ever. 

Eddie
KABQ

VS and FLCH both work fine.

FLCH is a bit wonky... tends to hunt. But as a RW pilot posted the real plane tends to do that. I have never had it fail to level off perfectly at the selected altitude.

My only beef with it is that on initial climb when you select VS it defaults to 500 fpm. And since you are usually climbing at 3000+ fpm you gotta be fast on that wheel to avoid nosing over and slowing the climb. Not sure what real-world procedure is but I can't imagine it is like that.

But it's never blown through an altitude for me. Ever.

Eddie,

I'm sure we can set the initial VS climb rate to a higher value. I think I have the S550 set to 1750 fpm. There is an xml file and you search for the string and change it to your personal choice of value in a couple of places. Hang in there and decide what you would like to have for your initial value.

Have you tried to pre-select the VS? Dial up a higher number and when you engage the AP the VS red target circle s/b at your presented rate and the AP should capture that target fpm value.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hi Ray, where is this xml file? I have looked in the aircraft folder, but is not there

Hi Ray, where is this xml file? I have looked in the aircraft folder, but is not there

Buried in your cab files in your sim gauges folder - better know what your doing - make a copy of it just in case

Rich Sennett

I can't get to my data for a few days to get the details. My new router is on a slow brown truck that doesn't work on the weekends.

Regards,

Ray

Eddie,

I'm sure we can set the initial VS climb rate to a higher value. I think I have the S550 set to 1750 fpm. There is an xml file and you search for the string and change it to your personal choice of value in a couple of places. Hang in there and decide what you would like to have for your initial value.

Have you tried to pre-select the VS? Dial up a higher number and when you engage the AP the VS red target circle s/b at your pre-selected rate and the AP should capture that target fpm value.

Regards,

Ray

Have you tried to pre-select the VS? Dial up a higher number and when you engage the AP the VS red target circle s/b at your presented rate and the AP should capture that target fpm value.

Hey Ray,

The VS button is disabled when the AP is off. However, as a workaround, I turned on the AP on the ground (watch out... trim wheel goes crazy!) and selected VS. Set the vertical speed to 2500 and turned the AP off. After takeoff when I engaged the AP and selected VS it was set to 2500!

I then climb on VS until airspeed gets to 230 (for cruise climb) and engage FLC. It holds 230 and climbs great. When VS drops to 2000 (about 18,000 feet) I switch to VS mode and climb at 2000 fpm to cruise, adjusting as necessary to hold 203 kts IAS. 

Works like a charm. 

Eddie
KABQ

Hey Ray,

The VS button is disabled when the AP is off. However, as a workaround, I turned on the AP on the ground (watch out... trim wheel goes crazy!) and selected VS. Set the vertical speed to 2500 and turned the AP off. After takeoff when I engaged the AP and selected VS it was set to 2500!

I then climb on VS until airspeed gets to 230 (for cruise climb) and engage FLC. It holds 230 and climbs great. When VS drops to 2000 (about 18,000 feet) I switch to VS mode and climb at 2000 fpm to cruise, adjusting as necessary to hold 203 kts IAS. 

Works like a charm.

Nothing says you can't turn on the AP on the ground to setup a departure. Any checklist should have AP OFF prior to takeoff.

I love when it works.

Regards,

Ray

How well does FLC mode cooperate if I hand-fly up to say 5000 or 6000 AGL and then engage it (no VS mode used at all) to keep climbing at the en-route climb speed?

How well does FLC mode cooperate if I hand-fly up to say 5000 or 6000 AGL and then engage it (no VS mode used at all) to keep climbing at the en-route climb speed?

I have not tried it yet as VS has worked perfectly here - but Ray mentioned after hitting FLC give it a little throttle in either direction depending if you ascending or descending - I have not tried it yet - next flight I will

Rich Sennett

That is actually the easiest way to do it. When you press FLC it will hold the current airspeed with pitch. It tends to a run up about 10 kts and then come back down. But it generally works.

Eddie
KABQ

That is actually the easiest way to do it. When you press FLC it will hold the current airspeed with pitch. It tends to a run up about 10 kts and then come back down. But it generally works.

I have not found it to work but again I have not tried Rays method yet - working another paint at the moment  - fun stuff - not

Rich Sennett