Sign in to follow this  
Meeko

ILS Capture - How to

With the appalling lack of any flight tutorial, would somebody please give me a clue on the following;

-  When flying in Nav Source - FMS1, and approaching an airport with an ILS, what's the procedure in order to capture the ILS?  

I have entered the ILS frequency in NAV1 in the TUN page of the FMS but unsure how to enter (where-ever) the course while in FMS1.  I've found pressing 'Approach' seems to bring it on the localiser, although that could just be the FMS1 doing that, but there is no indication of the glideslope.  Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce R

Bruce Ross

With the appalling lack of any flight tutorial, would somebody please give me a clue on the following;

- When flying in Nav Source - FMS1, and approaching an airport with an ILS, what's the procedure in order to capture the ILS?

I have entered the ILS frequency in NAV1 in the TUN page of the FMS but unsure how to enter (where-ever) the course while in FMS1. I've found pressing 'Approach' seems to bring it on the localiser, although that could just be the FMS1 doing that, but there is no indication of the glideslope. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce R

Hello Bruce,

You are almost there. The Course select button is just below the FMS. Three knobs. CRS, ALT, HDG. Turn the CRS knob to the ILS course. You can use the popups for setting up your approach.

Use NAV until you see LOC capture and then Glidescope movement then select APPR. Be slightly below your FAF altitude when selecting APPR mode. Good luck.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

What confused me for a while on the C90 is that what shows next to the Preset button on the PFD is the mode you'll be in when you click the Preset button. Use the mousewheel on the upper-inner knob of the DCP to change the preset to LOC1 (or it might say VOR1 if you're not receiving the localizer yet) and load your frequency like you did, when you're ready to let the ILS take over just click the Preset button to put you in LOC1 mode and your glideslope should show up. Hit APPR and ride it down.

One caution is that the frequency must be the actual sim frequency so if an ILS frequency has changed between when FSX was released and your navigraph cycle the FMS will show you a frequency that won't work even though it's correct for the real world. Cross check the frequency with the FS map or PlanG and if it's different use the one from FS rather than what the FMS tells you to use.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Ray and Jim for your replies.  Got it!  I knew where the course selector knob was, but I was finding it didn't do anything.  I know now I have to be in VOR1 mode to have it display the course setting.  Getting into VOR1 was a bit of a mystery solved by your comments.  I must say it's not all that reliable.  Even after clicking on the LSK1 on the PFD and hi-lighting the NAV SOURCE with a square box, and turning the outer DATA knob on the Display Control Panel, it doesn't always go through FMS1, VOR1, VOR2.  I have to persevere a bit in order to scroll down.  It get there in the end.

Jim, I can see where you're coming from with the preset button.  I wandered what it was for.  I haven't tried it yet but will on my next flight. 

Thanks for your help.

Bruce R 

Bruce Ross

I've noticed a problem with clicking the APPR button, same deal as on the C90, the APPR button is simply un-clickable under certain circumstances. See this post though, the workaround is the same:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482338-glideslope-intercept/page-3#entry3367837

Yikes seen this thread and its a ton to get a grip on - need something more condensed - thanks Jim  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Yeah I agree, that thread was confusing as heck. :smile:

Condensed version:

In a nutshell what the linked post says is if you find yourself unable to click the APPR button to lock onto a glideslope try hitting the VS button momentarily and then try the APPR button again, it should "stick" that time.

Jim

And these are the things about C planes that just irk me lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah I agree, that thread was confusing as heck. :smile:

Condensed version:

In a nutshell what the linked post says is if you find yourself unable to click the APPR button to lock onto a glideslope try hitting the VS button momentarily and then try the APPR button again, it should "stick" that time.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Rich Sennett

Hi guys

Having a similar issue a/c doesnt seem to want to descend on the GS?

NAV selected then localiser capture select APP (below GS) and GS indicator shows GS capture and a/c contines same altutude? Is there an official fix for this as selecting VS momentarily doesnt always seem to work?

Cheers :smile:

Russ Bailey

EGJB

Hi guys

Having a similar issue a/c doesnt seem to want to descend on the GS?

NAV selected then localiser capture select APP (below GS) and GS indicator shows GS capture and a/c contines same altutude? Is there an official fix for this as selecting VS momentarily doesnt always seem to work?

Cheers :smile:

A screenshot of your front panel gauges / autopilot would be helpful.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi guys

Many thanks for the replies, here is a screenie final RWY16 LSZH

Anything obvious as to why no GS capture to descend? (pic is after 'capture' from below, just seems to have gone through without descent?)

148ojyf.png

Russ Bailey

EGJB

Looks like you are not capturing the G/S from below it.

When you do a screenshot like this POP up the PFD so more detail can be shown.

How fare out are you in this screenshot (looks like 7.5 )?

What is your altitude?

Why is zero (O) altitude dialed during the approach?

To see for sure a video of the capture from say 10nm at 4000 feet out so we could see the ILS working / not working .. or several screenshots during the capture.

Best Regards,

Anything obvious as to why no GS capture to descend?

This is what you will see starting D13 IZH 4000 feet for the approach then onto the G/S and ready ALT for GoAround. watch the ALT hold led = off automatically when G/S intercepted.

LSZH-16 Appr

Basically 3 feeders (all at 4000 feet) to select from (I have an old plate) for the LOC intercept.

LSZH-ILS16-plate1_zpsm9ixjh0p.jpg

ILS16-1_zpskcisvdqo.jpg

ILS16-2_zpseimusajz.jpg

ILS16-3_zpsjiu1fu3d.jpg

Zoomed shots:

ILS16-1a_zpsqhuflplr.jpg

ILS16-2a_zpsalx8dbsz.jpg

ILS16-3a_zpshjli4y51.jpg

Best Regards,

Thank you very much for the helpful post.

I will see if I can replicate this tonight and report back.

As aside info - GS was attampted to capture from below, 4000 FT MSA at >8DME (pic shows 7.5DME)

Russ Bailey

EGJB