Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

How I accidentally increased framerates by 15fps

Guest JustanotherPilot

I’ve always struggled to get a really great performance since upgrading from V2.5 to v3.0. I zealously read any post that has a hint of how to improve the smallest framerate and apply them, looking for that elusive ‘sweet spot.’

With the release of v3.2 I had visions of all my sliders set to max resulting in breathtaking scenery shots and highly detailed aircraft  textures. I updated the Client and Content component of v3.2 using Avsim’s contributor ‘Poppet’ who has provided much advice in these forums and regularly releases full blown ‘How to’s’ which are a blessing.

.......After the update to 3.2 I found the performance had detiorated so much so that my normally locked frame rate of 30fps was now down to 8 to 10 in some UK2000 airport and stutters had returned. Clearly something was wrong, but what – I  used the same cfg settings to 3.1. I have an 4790K CPU running  @4.5 and although my GTX680 is old it still pack’s a punch

I posted my concerns over at the LM forums along with my cfg file, a few issues were picked up by moderators  over there and changes made. Their help was appreciated and cheerfully given

The changes only marginally increased slightly, to add to this, I found inconsistency in the startup  framerates with the same aircraft at the same airport(and gate) with ASN on live injection. This varied from 8fps to my locked 30fps. No two starts gave the same framerate

While pondering whether I should forget about P3D3.2 and maybe go back to 2.5 or something completely different – return to FSX Steam Edition, I happened to glance down to the hardrive light on my PC case, where I noticed much activity and hardrive noise.

I discovered  that my Internet  Security software, Kaspersky, was doing a scan of something, of which I know not, there was no scheduled scans and I hadn’t started any.

Then the proverbial lightbulb appeared.....what if Kaspersky was continuously  scanning ALL programs associated with running Prepar3D – ASN, ProATCX, Orbx, REX Soft Clouds and Texture Direct, not forgetting Navigraph which was opened for reference.

After looking at the ‘Exclusions’ in Kaspersky I found that I had only entered ProatcX as an exemption. I then added ALL of the programs that I considered remotely associated with contributing to Prepar3D while it was running.

The INCREASE in framerates and performance was instant, stutters gone , everything  had improved out of sight. I upped the locked framerate to 40fps, flew a few flights, it didn’t budge. My PC hardrive light decreased to an occasional ‘blip’.

Several scenarios and flights later and with even a slight increase in the sliders Prepar3D v3.2 is performing flawlessly.

If anyone is not getting the performance they expected with v3.2 or are noticing reduced  framerates and stuttering, I urge you to consider looking at your internet security software and the program exclusions, it may be contributing to your woes.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi,

I have some advice for Kaspersky users.

-In settings, go to "Performance" (not sure how it is named in the english version exactly)

-Scroll down to the buttom, you can specify prepar3d.exe here.

Kaspersky will pause now everytime you start the prepar3d.exe process and resume when the process terminates!

Regards, Sebastian

Some Internet Security systems like Norton can really drag the performance of a PC down. I have used Webroot for years and it has no negative effect on a system. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I turn off my internet security when using flight sim.....call me a daredevil but at least the program doesn't affect my framerates and cause stutters.  Besides if I am not on the internet (do that on a second computer) not sure I am really at risk and as far as i know nothing untoward has happened in 15 years of simming.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Some Internet Security systems like Norton can really drag the performance of a PC down. I have used Webroot for years and it has no negative effect on a system.

Another vote here for Webroot

Very nice info... I will try today. :wink:

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

I turn off my internet security when using flight sim.....call me a daredevil but at least the program doesn't affect my framerates and cause stutters.  Besides if I am not on the internet (do that on a second computer) not sure I am really at risk and as far as i know nothing untoward has happened in 15 years of simming.

Why would you even use "Internet" security if you're not on the Internet..?

Why would you even use "Internet" security if you're not on the Internet..?

Unless you physically disconnect from the net, you are still on the internet, whether you are on the browser or not. Also FS needs the net to download weather or ATC if you are using multiplayer or VATSIM. You may not actually be doing anything on it at the moment, but you are still vulnerable to outside intrusions. That's why it's imperative you have a good firewall active at all times, backed up by AV software. Even if most of his internet usage is on a different system, if that system is connected, you are still potentially vulnerable.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thats not a bad idea. I guess for me I could just totally disable the internet when I start simming. Download active sky weather during flight planning and then shut off internet and virus protection when I'm about to fly. I can always go online during a flight on my laptop. Since I don't fly on Vatsim this would work for me ;)

Unless you physically disconnect from the net, you are still on the internet, whether you are on the browser or not. Also FS needs the net to download weather or ATC if you are using multiplayer or VATSIM. You may not actually be doing anything on it at the moment, but you are still vulnerable to outside intrusions. That's why it's imperative you have a good firewall active at all times, backed up by AV software. Even if most of his internet usage is on a different system, if that system is connected, you are still potentially vulnerable.

Yeah, I know all that, thanks, I'm an network security engineer...

His comment indicated his computer was not on the net. So he either is and does 't know it, or he does 't use any of that and it's an offline system

This would cost a bit of money. However, you may wish to hide behind a router. Passes Shields Up test 100%. Is an external hardware solution and consumes no internal resources. Great for networking and allows assigning static IP addresses which makes running remote software easier, etc. Doesn't block outgoing. However, an anti malware scan should find whatever is illegitimately calling home.

As far as malware goes, I just exempt the folders that contain sim programs and data for resident scanning, and do regular manual scans to check the integrity of those folders.

If you dont need massive WiFi speeds, routers can be had for moderate cost.

I have kept mines on pause every time i start prepar3d. I also have the same antivirus .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

+1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I haven't run any AV or Internet Security software since 2000.  Never had any issues but I suppose if your really worried about it then go for it.  

On occasion I'll download Malwarebytes and just run a quick scan but it never finds any issues so I just remove it.

I've always felt this scare over virus/spyware etc is way overblown;  just use commonsense when surfing the web. 

Sean Green