Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

How I accidentally increased framerates by 15fps

I haven't run any AV or Internet Security software since 2000.  Never had any issues but I suppose if your really worried about it then go for it.  

On occasion I'll download Malwarebytes and just run a quick scan but it never finds any issues so I just remove it.

I've always felt this scare over virus/spyware etc is way overblown;  just use commonsense when surfing the web. 

But you know that there is stuff out there which doesn't need you to "browse" the internet?

All they need is your IP and a security issue in Windows and off the go ;) That was pure luck that you had no issues until now.

I hope you have at least the Windows stuff activated.

I am behind a router and run Windows Defender, that's it.

I would deinstall Kaspersky and Norton.

That is very true. I am taking a chance and so far my luck has held out for 16 years. I usually wipe and start fresh after 6 months anyway. I know the hassle it is though if you do get an issue as I spend hours cleaning friends and family pc's that have got infected. Not fun!

I don't recommend anyone run without virus or spyware protection but for its just a personal choice I've been doing for quite awhile. Like the op says it's not worth the performance hit. My system is clean of all processes that are not needed.

Sean Green

If anyone is not getting the performance they expected with v3.2 or are noticing reduced  framerates and stuttering, I urge you to consider looking at your internet security software and the program exclusions, it may be contributing to your woes.

I've always used a dual-boot approach after learning the way SSDs work over HDDs, wherein I always install the entire P3D w/ all associated add-ons AND the OS on a dedicated single SSD.  I do not believe there is a compelling reason to separate OS drive & simulation drive as there was arguably in the HDD era.  In any case, this lets me install OS/P3D+add-ons like REX etc on a drive that is not use for ANYTHING else.  So no need for antivirus software, no MS Office installed, nada, zip.  This gets the potential for any interference out of the picture.   It is also possible to disable any services not really needed when you use this approach.  I've always enjoyed excellent performance & smoothness, and 3.2 is no difference.  Also, once you're completely setup and we all know what that really means it's a simple matter to clone or image the entire drive as an intact package.

IMO 3.2 is clearly the best performer in every way over former versions for me.   Other fine tuning maneuvers involve SteveW's suggested AffinityMask for hexacore which while performance didn't change the CPU is working much less w/ no loss of performance, so seems much more efficient that w/ my former AM setting--thank you again SteveW.

My only last piece is to save up for the lovely looking Dell U3415W 34" curved display which supports HDMI and a 30Hz refresh rate.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

My only last piece is toIMO 3.2 save up for the lovely looking Dell U3415W 34" curved display which supports HDMI and a 30Hz refresh rate.

I can't understand this 30 Hz hype here. When I set my display to 30 Hz even the "normal" Windows desktop is laggy as hell... I would die if I'd have to use 30 Hz :-)

I am so glad that my monitor has a Displayport 1.2 interface.

So it would be ideal to have a Solid State Hard Drive for flight simulator?

I can't understand this 30 Hz hype here. When I set my display to 30 Hz even the "normal" Windows desktop is laggy as hell... I would die if I'd have to use 30 Hz :-)

I am so glad that my monitor has a Displayport 1.2 interface.

I use a 30hz monitor with a Display Port on my new 4k monitor.

I agree 30hz is not for everybody but for me it gets rid of the microstutters and smooths everything out.

I followed what Rob A. Does with bis system.

Sean Green