Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

Majestic Q400 Makes Me Feel Stupid

:lol:

I don't recall how long it took me to become proficient in the Boeing or various other aircraft (e,g, ATR72), but this Dash is a handful.  It looks beautiful and the overall package is amazing though.

I'm trying to watch videos and read some of the documents.  Most of them aren't very descriptive of certain things.

More or less, learning the checklist items for certain phases of flight aren't a concern to me.  Yes they're way more involved than the 737 NG, or many other aircraft, but the ground items will come with time and don't need to be rushed.  I don't even think the stuff one does after takeoff or during approach is that bad, in terms of fuel pumps, lights, et cetera.  I've already pretty much mastered the items after take off and during approach.

What is really doing me in thus far is the FMC and radios.  I can set the transponder just fine for TCAS/ALT.  I can tune frequencies, and in fact tuned the ILS for SEA tonight just fine.  Worked like a charm.  Actually saved me since I was behind on some things and frustrated that the FMC and radios were a mystery.  I actually had to couple the APP, and I never do that.  Only ILS with hand flown maneuvering, unless there's a problem that takes my attention away from the approach.  Then again, the Boeing and smaller aircraft are so simple.

So, for the radios, why can't I seem to figure out how to dial in the ATIS?  This was my second flight, but the first flight I managed to get ATIS at YKM.  Tonight heading to SEA, I could not get 118.00 to do anything.  It was dialed in to practically all radios.  I turned the volume up, switched from green to white and back.  Turned the mic selector.  Played with nearly every knob and even attempted to get it to work with the FMS, which I don't understand either all that well.  Also, in other add ons, when using ATC for COM 1, the radio automatically dials in the next frequency when selected in menu.  This just shows 118.00.  Odd.  The manual is not very detailed in this manner.  Is there something I'm missing?  I bypassed the start-up and loaded the Taxi scenario tonight, whereas I started from cold and dark previously.  It just takes so long right now and I'm more concerned with learning the flight phases, FMC and radios.  I've never been confused with a radio.  I fell behind with the VNAV and APP simply because I tried so much to get the radio to play ATIS far enough out.  

I am watching videos for the FMC and hopefully will grasp it soon enough.  It's not very intuitive.  I think the Boeing is as simple as pie, but after so many years I likely didn't back then either.

Oh, and for the GPWS, how do I get the "flaps" warning to shut up on short final?  I set it to Flap 15 (middle) setting and still got the warning.  If landing flap 15, do I need to set it to GPWS flap 35?  Seems like that would alert on a 35 final then.   :fool:  

It's worth noting that despite a second flight and several screw ups/confusion, that the landing was pretty darn good.  I kept the power on until TD and it was very decent.  Strange. lol

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Oh, and for the GPWS, how do I get the "flaps" warning to shut up on short final?  I set it to Flap 15 (middle) setting and still got the warning.  If landing flap 15, do I need to set it to GPWS flap 35?  Seems like that would alert on a 35 final then.

Landing gear needs to be down first before flaps past 5.

Ian R Tyldesley

The q400 tires me out, so much to do and I don't like the cockpit layout or the fmc operation. Majestic did a great job on it. Flying the q400 in real life must be a chore. If you have the Pro edition get the latest update released recently, check their forums.

You can tune the radios on the sets located on the pedestal or you can use the "Tune" section of the FMS. I use Radar Contact for air traffic control and I have it set to handle the comm frequency changes for me, but I do the NAV and ATC frequency changes.

I agree this aircraft is a handfull. I simplify things by using a standard fuel load of 8200 pounds, 38 passengers, and a reserve of 500 pounds. This puts me at a 1.5 hour flight with an approach speed of about 117 KIAS. I usually use 15 degrees of flaps and keep the power on all the way to touchdown.

Dale

If you are willing to spend a little more money you can get FS2Crew which helps a little and i would also recommend the Airline2sim videos...

Ian R Tyldesley

+1 for the Airline2Sim videos. Very good lessons from a real life Q400 pilot, this really got me going with the Q400

• Upvote 1

Cheers!

Maarten

FS2Crew is really helpful! You will follow the checklists a little bit more attentiv than in the boeing for example :-)

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Hey Chris:

Re the "Flaps" sounding, ensure you have the "GPWS Landing Flap" switch (below thwe landing gear lever) is selected to the proper setting.

Re the tuning of the radios. Ensure you keep the SBY Com (in front of the throttles) off at all times. If I''m not mistaken, it overrides the two ARCDU's, (radio panels).

Hope this helps,

Roger Neves

If you are willing to spend a little more money you can get FS2Crew which helps a little and i would also recommend the Airline2sim videos...

Without a doubt the best advice here

Also,

Whilst technically you have to manually tune the COM radios in the q400, the atc window will still work.

For example, tuning the atis using the atc window option will result in you hearing the broadcast despite the fact that radio display on the q400 doesn't actually move or change.

One of the more annoying traits to me of this otherwise excellent addon is this inability to have the radios and transponder tune via the atc window and the fact the 'b' key won't adjust the barometric pressure.

I'm all for realism, but sometimes a keyboard and mouse don't translate well to adjusting controls quickly in a one pilot sim aircraft.

The q400 tires me out, so much to do and I don't like the cockpit layout or the fmc operation. Majestic did a great job on it. Flying the q400 in real life must be a chore. If you have the Pro edition get the latest update released recently, check their forums.

Sounds to me like you are use to the Boeing or Airbus FMS!  The Q400 FMS is less complicated and simple once you use it a number of times and follow a proper tutorial . I find the cockpit layout excellent and works well! Its not any more difficult then the 777, 737, A320 etc.....  just a little different. I suggest you try a proper training program like http://www.airline2sim.com/

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Sounds to me like you are use to the Boeing or Airbus FMS!  The Q400 FMS is less complicated and simple once you use it a number of times and follow a proper tutorial . I find the cockpit layout excellent and works well! Its not any more difficult then the 777, 737, A320 etc.....  just a little different. I suggest you try a proper training program like http://www.airline2sim.com/

less complicated than Boeing? I don't agree. I know how to use the Q400, it's just not designed right. vnav is annoying to put in and takes time, if you go direct to a different waypoint you have to setup vnav again. The ergonomics of the airplane is not good.

less complicated than Boeing? I don't agree. I know how to use the Q400, it's just not designed right. vnav is annoying to put in and takes time, if you go direct to a different waypoint you have to setup vnav again. The ergonomics of the airplane is not good.

VNAV is rarely used in the Q400. It's used to set your initial decent point but VS is more common as in the real world ATC will continually change your altitude clearance. If the ergonomics of the airplane is not good then why does it sell??????  The Q400 is a fine aircraft and does its job extremely well

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Thanks for all the replies.  I was hoping to play more and learn today but it got away from me.  Too many last minute chores before I start my work week. 

It's odd about that COM not receiving anything.  I wonder it turning on the back up COM by the front displays has something to do with it.  Even then the backup COM was also on 118.00 so to not receive ATIS at SEA is weird.

Does everyone start Cold and Dark mainly?  I wonder if the start with Taxi scenario messes things up.  I swear when I started up the other night with Cold and Dark that the EFIS systems panels switched and stayed on, but the Taxi scenario required that I hold them down to view.  Maybe that's why the GPWS for Flaps 15 didn't seem to work.  Getting the "too low, flaps" warning on final didn't make sense. 

I realize I have a great deal to learn but truthfully between the COM issues and FMS, it's not that bad.  I do kinda agree with 777200lrf in that it's a busy aircraft.  It's not the best ergonomic layout, but in all honesty, no large turboprop is.  Look at the ATR.  More button, lights and switches than the space shuttle.  The Flight One ATR was easier though, I think because less things were truly modeled.  IDK, hard to remember.  No matter what, compared to nearly every newer jet, the turboprops require way too much fiddling.  In all seriousness, a switch to remind you for flaps that you have to set?  You already have to set the proper landing flap, but then to add to the step by forcing you to switch yet another dial for that flap setting is bizarre. 

Oh well, it'll be a while until I can try again.  Maybe I'll try and squeeze in some reading and video watching until then.  Thanks all.  :smile:

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Perhaps it's just me but after completing the two Majestic tutorials I had no issues with the FMS, radios or any other systems. I can go from cold and dark to ready for takeoff in a few minutes if the FMS doesn't require programming, but I have a lot of hours in the PMDG J41 which also has a Universal FMS so perhaps that gives me an advantage.

Compared to Airbus and Boeing, I find the FMS is much easier to initially setup and programme (a lot less data to input), but subsequently much harder to use/adjust once airborne. The VNAV is not very intuitive but after a few uses becomes understandable.

My problems were all connected to hand flying the aircraft, particularly smooth landings and dealing with yaw!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg